Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SOLD!: my own storied T43pSF (SATA-modded 15" T43p) *PICS*

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

SOLD!: my own storied T43pSF (SATA-modded 15" T43p) *PICS*

#1 Post by ajkula66 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:27 pm

With a heavy heart, I'll be letting go of my well-kept, more-or-less-legendary T43pSF, and wanted to check whether there's any serious interest for such a system amongst the TPF members, since I would want my "baby" to end up in a loving home...

the basics:

ThinkPad T43p (2668-Q6U)

P M 780(2.26GHz)
1GB RAM......................................................now 2GB
80GB 7200rpm HD..........................................please read below
15in 1600x1200 LCD
128MB ATI FireGL V3200
CDRW/DVD...................................................now DVD RW multiburner
Intel 802.11abg wireless(MPCI)..........................now TP Link (Atheros) a/b/g/n wireless card, 300Mbps@2.4 GHz band
Bluetooth/Modem(CDC)
1Gb Ethernet(LOM)
UltraNav
Secure Chip
Fingerprint Reader
9c Li-Ion batt
WinXP Pro - no COA or operating system included
Genuine 72W IBM AC adapter included

general observations:

As most of you who follow my posts here on TPF are aware, this machine has been my daily driver for quite some time now, and to say that it was well-loved, babied (within reason) and treasured overall would be an understatement. However, with newer modded systems that have entered - or will shortly enter - our household, this fine Frankie has been seeing less and less use, and I'd much rather have it go to someone who'll appreciate it than just stick it on a shelf to gather dust...

Apart from a LED screen mod, the unit in question has been taken as far as the platform allows, more about this in the "notable mods" section of this post.

notable mods:

1) SATA-mod: Performed by our own RealBlackStuff. It would be a waste of my words, forum space as well as of reader's time for me to try and explain how much faster the system is when compared to its non-modded siblings. Night and day, literally. Throw in a SSD and you could be fooled into believing that you're actually dealing with a much newer system.

2) M10 (13R2657) "long" fan from T42p: Over the course of time, I've discovered that M10 cools the system just as well as the original M24, while being far less audible. Having said that, make no mistake: a combination of PM 780 and V3200 does not for a cool/quiet system make, especially not under load.

3) Modded BIOS: Gone are the pesky "2010 error" and the wireless card whitelist. What a thing of beauty!

known imperfections:

- While I'd rate the physical condition of the system as 9+ on a 1-10 scale, there is some wear on the bottom - including one visible 3" reasonably deep scratch - as well as some light wear on the lid.

- I don't have a "perfect" battery for this system. The ones that are in *really* good shape electronically - Panasonic units - sport some cracks in the plastic, while the ones that are in fine physical condition are either in "yellow" or "red" condition. Pick your poison, in other words. If the buyer prefers to buy a system without a battery, I'll deduct a reasonable amount from the asking price.

- No COA. If you *really* want to run XP Pro - which is what the system was licensed for in the first place - I'm certain that I can come up with one or two or seventeen, but in this day and age I'd personally advise against that course of action.

While I'm not going to state that this is the nicest SATA-modded T43p in existence - we all know where that one is - the machine I'm about to offer for sale is a really, really fine example. The screen is gorgeous, the lid is clean as is the keyboard and the palmrest is brand new (NOS). You'll have a rather difficult time locating a better system of this profile.

Given the emotional bond that I have with the ThinkPad in question, an awful lot will depend on who the potential buyer is and how well I know them. I reserve the right to skip my normal "first come first served" approach and sell the machine to someone I personally view as deserving to own it.

General questions are welcomed in the thread.

PM or email me directly to tataslonATaol.com with any concerns/offers/specific inquiries.
Last edited by ajkula66 on Mon May 25, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: FS: my own storied T43pSF (SATA-modded 15" T43p) *PICS*

#2 Post by Norway Pad » Sat May 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Ok, so if this one had been posted for sale one and a half month earlier, I wouldn't have bothered having a SATA mod done on my own T43p. At that point I would have sold my own T43p and put the money into buying this one instead. Then I would have had the complete package with NOS palmrest, a faster CPU and a full 2GB RAM. (I won't complain though; very satisfied with how fast the old machine is with it's SATA SSD.)

IMHO this is as close to a steal as possible if you have any desire for a maxed out and SATA capable T43..
Bjorn
THINKPAD collector. Only missing a proper RetroThinkpad.

Hierax_ca
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Hierax_ca » Sat May 23, 2015 8:03 pm

PM sent
Toshiba (93-98): t3400(ct), 3600ct, 610ct, 620ct, 660cdt, 490xcdt, 780cdm/dvd

IBM (95-06): 701c*(s) Butterfly, 600(e,x*), A31p*, T43(S*, p,+pS*)

Lenovo (07-12): t60h, T601pF*, x60t+, x61t+*,
W500, W700, W700ds, W701, W701ds, x301*, x200t, x220t, x220*, W520*.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Hierax_ca wrote:PM sent
PM replied to and the machine is on hold for you.

Cheers,

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: SOLD!: my own storied T43pSF (SATA-modded 15" T43p) *PICS*

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Sold to a forum member.

Cheers,