Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Current trackpoints, user impression

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
FragrantHead

Current trackpoints, user impression

#1 Post by FragrantHead » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:50 pm

I am back from a customer visit where I was given a Thinkpad X240 to work on for the day. I am a longtime Thinkpad user and prefer the trackpoint over the touchpad. My main machine is currently a T520, e.g. 7-row keyboard and dedicated trackpoint buttons. As expected, the X240 trackpoint was a step backwards for me. We all know about the touchpad's use as trackpoint buttons. I expected the worst and was surprised to find that reasonably usable. Like some others I kept hitting the middle button instead of the left one though. I think the touchpad would be hard on my thumb in the long run and more cumbersome.

Oh yeah, interesting thread, here, on how people position their hand on the trackpoint. I use the right middle finger on the trackpoint, and the right thumb for the three buttons.

What I don't see mentioned as often, the trackpoint is more recessed than previously. This almost irritated me more than the lack of buttons. The trackpoint has always been a more second class citizen on other vendors machines. It's recessed on Dells and the buttons are smaller and less ergonomic than the traditional Thinkpads ones. Lenovo has arrived in the same woeful place. In fact, given the lack of dedicated buttons, it's arguably worse for trackpoint users.