Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo's First Official Blog

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
MikeE
ThinkPad Partner
ThinkPad Partner

Lenovo's First Official Blog

#1 Post by MikeE » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:16 am

Lenovo have started their first formal blog. Apparently first of several. David Hill is Lenovo's Executive Director of Design and his blog is at the new home of all upcoming blogs at:

http://www.lenovoblogs.com

I enjoyed the poll on which TrackPoint cap people prefer. I'm a "Classic" sort, myself!!
Last edited by MikeE on Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
2 T40s and an X60s

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#2 Post by JaneL » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:35 am

Welcome to the forum at ThinkPads.com!

I read through the entries last night as well as some of the blogs linked to it and am quite impressed with what I've seen so far. Finally, it appears that a company "gets" it (and that the TrackPoint is safe!)! I hope the awareness shown in the blog entries is spreading throughout Lenovo and am eager to see what comes in the future.

(My personal favorite is the Soft Dome!)
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

bigtiger

#3 Post by bigtiger » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:33 am

Nice move. I personally like the soft dome too.

thanks for bring this out. I will keep track this blog.
currently own X61S, T42, X31, Macbook Pro Unibody i5

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#4 Post by christopher_wolf » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:30 pm

Favorites?

Classic Dome for my 701c Thinkpad and Soft Dome for my T43. :D

Welcome to the Forums, Mike. I do think that many memebers, including myself, enjoyed David Hill's blog *very* much. I know I did. :D
IBM ThinkPad T43 Model 2668-72U 14.1" SXGA+ 1GB |IBM 701c

~o/
I met someone who looks a lot like you.
She does the things you do.
But she is an IBM.
/~o ---ELO from "Yours Truly 2059"

asiafish
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#5 Post by asiafish » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:52 pm

Definitely soft dome for me. I have them on my X41 and X22.
"An atheist is just somebody who feels about Yahweh the way any decent Christian feels about Thor or Baal or the golden calf. As has been said before, we are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Richard Dawkins, 2002

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by JHEM » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:54 pm

Welcome to the Forum Mike.

Very interesting reading on the Blog, I hope it will continue in that vein.

Like Chris I use the classic "cat's tongue" dome on my older systems and the soft dome on my daily-driver T41P and new T60P.

Regards,

James
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by JaneL » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:15 pm

I even use a Soft Dome on my work-issued HP Compaq nc6220 - improved the (terrible) keyboard immensely!
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
I'm on Twitter

GomJabbar

#8 Post by GomJabbar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:39 am

Excellent read. Design sure does matter.

I remember when I was in the market for my first notebook computer. I saw a ThinkPad 600E on the display and I knew that was just the notebook I was looking for. It was love at first sight. That 600E has since been passed down to my daughter, who uses it to this day and loves it. I graduated to a ThinkPad T42, which I am using now. The T42 is another example of great design. When my wife was in the market for her first laptop, I bought her a T42 as well from Lenovo's anniversary sale last year. My wife recently told me that now she understands why I love my ThinkPad so much. Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon I saw once (paraphrased here) where Dilbert's wife asks him if he loves his computer more than he loves her. He replies that of course not, he loves her more, but in the bubble that contains his true thoughts, he says to himself: "Please don't ask about my laptop."

Yes, the blog Design Matters and the other ones linked to it (that nonny refers to above) were all excellently written. I have not read many blogs in the past, but ones such as these do draw my interest.

To parrot the others above: Welcome to forum.thinkpads.com. I trust you will find this site has been a godsend to many ThinkPad users - from IBM purchasers in the past to Lenovo purchasers today.

My favorite Trackpoint tip? [A ThinkPad wouldn't be a ThinkPad without the Trackpoint] It is a toss up between the Classic that came with the 600E and the Soft Dome that came with my T42. I give the slight edge to the Soft Dome. I really haven't used the Soft Rim enough to have an opinion on it's ergonomics, however I do not like its appearance on the keyboard of my ThinkPad as much as the others. Oh, and the Tizio lamp pictured in Lenovo's blog - I would love one of those. A real beauty.
DKB

dsigma6
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by dsigma6 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:10 am

i've become uncomfortable using anything but the soft rim. it actually is soft, and has a nice flexibility to it. i find the soft dome to be a bit too rigid, and the classic dome works, but seems primitive now.
[Current] [Dell Latitude D630] : [Past] [T43] [T40] [T23] [T20] [R40] [X22] [600E] [570] [765D]

jogego

#10 Post by jogego » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:44 am

Definitely a soft rim for me
Ubuntu Feisty/WXP on X21;
WXP on TP 570;
Indigo slot loading G3 Imac with Mac OSX 10.3.9

techflavor
Freshman Member

#11 Post by techflavor » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:06 pm

David Churbuck at Lenovoblogs.com mentioned Thinkpads.com (and quoted nonny) on Friday:
And the faithful at Thinkpads.com are discussing Design Matters.

"I read through the entries last night as well as some of the blogs linked to it and am quite impressed with what I've seen so far. Finally, it appears that a company "gets" it (and that the TrackPoint is safe!)! I hope the awareness shown in the blog entries is spreading throughout Lenovo and am eager to see what comes in the future."

Thanks to all. Keep your comments coming.

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by JaneL » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:17 pm

techflavor wrote:David Churbuck at Lenovoblogs.com mentioned Thinkpads.com (and quoted nonny) on Friday:
Yes, I saw that and was pretty pleased by it! :banana: Not that I wanted the attention on me personally, but that it meant he was following the forum.
Jane
I'm on Twitter