Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Rumors- Widescreen T Series 11/28 Announcement

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
3nigma
Freshman Member

Rumors- Widescreen T Series 11/28 Announcement

#1 Post by 3nigma » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:00 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the fantastic community and the amazing resource. This is truly a great body of people with one commonality- ThinkPads!

Now to get on topic-
I've read a couple different posts that keep mentioning an 11/28 announcement of a T series widescreen. Two of the posts I read on the topic were very short. One sentence, "matter-of-fact" type posts.

My question is, is there any founding to these rumors? If so, are there any sources to reference?

Also- do we have more details on these widescreens? What sizes they will come in? What resolution settings? Are they the traditional matte, anti-glare finish, or the now-trendy gloss screens? Do we know what video cards will be offered?

Thanks for any and all info on the topic!
-3nigma
MacBook | Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz | 1GB RAM | 500GB External HDD

3nigma
Freshman Member

Confirmation

#2 Post by 3nigma » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:38 pm

I spoke w/ a sales rep today, and confirmed the 11/28 date and the widescreen T series ThinkPads.

He wasn't able to yet confirm whether gloss or matte finish. He also didn't know which video cards or resolutions would be confirmed.

What he *could* tell me was that they will have widescreen formats in both the traditional 15.4" size, and now also widescreen in the 14" size.

Also- he said it's only on the T60p models, with the "performance" moniker added.

*shrug* In case it helps.
-3nigma

RUSH2112

#3 Post by RUSH2112 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 pm

Gah, widescreens. I've owned them all, nothing beats 4:3. If they want to *offer* widescreen T's, i have no problem with that, just don't destroy your bread and butter with a consumer hp-like widescreen by making that the only choice.

The reason they released the Z is so that people who want both a thinkpad and a widescreen have an option.

As for matte vs glossy, i cant see them puting a glossy on a thinkpad. If they do, whoever approved it should be shot, in my humble opinion.
Thinkpad X60s 1704-69U / Vista Ultimate
www.frattaroli.us
We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That's the way that lady luck dances
Roll the bones

Champ
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Champ » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:00 pm

can someone confirm, announce doesn't mean the end of the normal 15'' SXGA.

If it does I'd rather buy one now even through I won't need it for 8 months since widescreen is utterly useless for normal Word/Excel usage.

rambot

Titanium Case?

#5 Post by rambot » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:56 pm

Does anyone have information on whether the new T6* thinkpad will be available with the titanium cover?

RUSH2112

Re: Titanium Case?

#6 Post by RUSH2112 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:04 pm

rambot wrote:Does anyone have information on whether the new T6* thinkpad will be available with the titanium cover?
PLEASE PLEASE NO NO NO PLEASE.

I *hate* the titanium covers. They ruin the looks of the computer and of the classic Thinkpad. I'd buy a Dell before I bought a Thinkpad in anuthing other than black. Thats one of the things holding me back from a Z; all the ones I like are in titanium.
www.frattaroli.us
Roll the bones

3nigma
Freshman Member

#7 Post by 3nigma » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:13 pm

Champ wrote:can someone confirm, announce doesn't mean the end of the normal 15'' SXGA.

If it does I'd rather buy one now even through I won't need it for 8 months since widescreen is utterly useless for normal Word/Excel usage.
One of the things I've seen greatly heralded as a credit to the widescreen is it's fantastic real-estate help for spreadsheet use. I can personally testify to this, as I use spreadsheets for my office work every day.
RUSH2112 wrote:I *hate* the titanium covers. They ruin the looks of the computer and of the classic Thinkpad. I'd buy a Dell before I bought a Thinkpad in anuthing other than black. Thats one of the things holding me back from a Z; all the ones I like are in titanium.
RUSH2112 wrote:Gah, widescreens. I've owned them all, nothing beats 4:3. If they want to *offer* widescreen T's, i have no problem with that, just don't destroy your bread and butter with a consumer hp-like widescreen by making that the only choice...
As for matte vs glossy, i cant see them puting a glossy on a thinkpad. If they do, whoever approved it should be shot, in my humble opinion.
I also personally prefer the black to titanium- but that's my personal opinion.

Widescreen and squarescreen (*snicker*) are simply a matter of preference.

Matte and gloss screens are, too, simply a matter of preference. I have used gloss screens, and the claims that they are overly reflective are nonexistent. The vibrant colors stand out more, however, because the screen is not diffused.

You come across as if your *personal preferences* are the only things that matter, and are the law of the land. You can leave room for personal preference.

-3nigma

EDIT: Fixing broken quote.
EDIT: Omitted objectionable comment.
Last edited by 3nigma on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

marlinspike

#8 Post by marlinspike » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:40 pm

3nigma wrote: Matte and gloss screens are, too, simply a matter of preference. I have used gloss screens, and the claims that they are overly reflective are nonexistent. The vibrant colors stand out more, however, because the screen is not diffused.
For what it's worth the photo editing community doesn't use glossy screens (the colors are inaccurate and they are oversharpened). Though I agree widescreen is a personal preference thing, and I happen to prefer 4:3. My three greatest fears of what will happen to Thinkpads once they've completely weened off IBM are that
1 - they will only have glossy screens (or at least the good screens will only be glossy)
2 - they will only have widescreens (or at least only the good screens will be wide)
3 - they will forget what got Thinkpads the name they have and will reduce the build quality of the T series.

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by JaneL » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 pm

3nigma wrote:Can anyone say, conservative reactionist?
Read the Rules of the Road paying particular attention to the part about no personal attacks.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

RUSH2112

#10 Post by RUSH2112 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 pm

3nigma wrote:
RUSH2112 wrote:I *hate* the titanium covers. They ruin the looks of the computer and of the classic Thinkpad. I'd buy a Dell before I bought a Thinkpad in anuthing other than black. Thats one of the things holding me back from a Z; all the ones I like are in titanium.
RUSH2112 wrote:Gah, widescreens. I've owned them all, nothing beats 4:3. If they want to *offer* widescreen T's, i have no problem with that, just don't destroy your bread and butter with a consumer hp-like widescreen by making that the only choice...
Can anyone say, conservative reactionist?

I also personally prefer the black to titanium- but that's my personal opinion.

Widescreen and squarescreen (*snicker*) are simply a matter of preference.

Matte and gloss screens are, too, simply a matter of preference. I have used gloss screens, and the claims that they are overly reflective are nonexistent. The vibrant colors stand out more, however, because the screen is not diffused.

You come across as if your *personal preferences* are the only things that matter, and are the law of the land. You can leave room for personal preference.

-3nigma
You come across as the apathetic type who doesnt vote. For the record, I am a Libertarian, but thats aside from the point.

What I was saying is that I, personally, hate the titanium (as well as widescreens, touchpads, and glossiness). It is Thinkpad legacy to be all-black. It would be sacralige to start throwing out titanium models left and right. One of the reasons I buy thinkpads is for the "classicness" of them. I can still get a 4:3 matte screen with a trackpoint and no flashing lights or shiny gizmos.

If they want to release models with all that, fine, just give me the option to order the *same* system without them. The Z61 I was configuring the other day was only available with titanium, and I would hate to see that kind of stuff drizzle down (up?) to the T and (worse) the X.

I also wish they would offer legacy keyboards as an option, without the Windows and Applications buttons. Theyre useless imho.
www.frattaroli.us
Roll the bones

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#11 Post by JaneL » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:48 pm

RUSH2112 wrote:You come across as the apathetic type who doesnt vote.
You read the Rules, too.

And trim your quotes.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

3nigma
Freshman Member

Back on topic...

#12 Post by 3nigma » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:07 am

Thanks for your insight and direction, nonny =).

Back on topic-

I confirmed w/ a sales rep this evening about the widescreens. I was able to confirm one step further that they will be offering both matte finish and gloss finish screens.

He said the best way to see what screens would be offered is to look at the Z series, and we will see comporable models in the T series widescreens.

I prefer the formfactor of a 14" to a 15.4", so hopefully they will spec it right! As RUSH pointed out, the titanium color is a turnoff for me as well on the specs I like.

Has anyone tried the built in video cam with Mac OS X installed on, if it will work as a substitute iSight for iChat? That would be *incredible*.

-3nigma

disturbedsaint

#13 Post by disturbedsaint » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:50 am

RUSH2112 wrote:I also wish they would offer legacy keyboards as an option, without the Windows and Applications buttons. Theyre useless imho.
This is the best suggestion ever!
For my desktop I'm still using my decent pre-1995 keyboard without any unneccessary keys, wish it could be possible on a new lappy.

3nigma
Freshman Member

#14 Post by 3nigma » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:11 pm

I agree completely as well, I can't stand the M$ vandalism on my keyboard as well, especially when not even running Windows as my OS!

-3nigma

kjjb0204
Freshman Member

#15 Post by kjjb0204 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:49 pm

Key Features
Current T60 design optimized for a 15.4” widescreen display – offers a 30% larger viewing area than 14” XGA displays
Thin and light widescreen form factor – approximately one inch thin and starting at 5.1lb travel weight (5.5lb with optical)
Available with 15.4” WXGA or WSXGA+ displays
Long standard battery life – up to 6 hours on select models
Verizon, Cingular and Vodafone Integrated 3G Wireless WAN*
4GB system memory supported (3GB addressable)
New and enhanced ThinkVantage Technologies
100% RoHS compliant (Lead-free)
Docking support: ThinkPad Essential Port Replicator, Advanced Mini-Dock and Advanced Dock

Core Technology
Intel 945PM and 945GM chipsets with 667MHz FSB
Intel Core 2 Duo processors
DDR2 memory running at 667MHz
Graphics options: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 or ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 128MB
Latest wireless LAN options including Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG and ThinkPad 11n
Three USB 2.0 ports
ExpressCard and PC Card slots
Dual-layer DVD Multi-Burner on select models
Six connectivity options: Modem, GB Ethernet, IR, Bluetooth, WLAN, integrated WWAN (select models

marlinspike

#16 Post by marlinspike » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:52 pm

What is meant by 4 gig supported 3 gig addressable?

kjjb0204
Freshman Member

#17 Post by kjjb0204 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:55 pm

You can install 4gb memory, but the system will only see and use 3gb. It's a limitation of the 32 bit Windows OS. You need a 64 bit OS to see 4gb. True of all current ThinkPads.

maximus_
Freshman Member

#18 Post by maximus_ » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:00 pm

Why are they only releasing low resolution models... This is absurd..

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#19 Post by christopher_wolf » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:56 pm

marlinspike wrote:What is meant by 4 gig supported 3 gig addressable?
That is a Windows XP issues; the maximum amount of memory that can be addressed, with the 3GB boot switch, is ~3.24 GB on Windows XP. Just about all modern Intel chipsm including the Pentium M, are capable of handling more than 4GB of memory by themselves due to PAE, but the rest of the chipsets and 32-bit computer systems don't always support that. :)
IBM ThinkPad T43 Model 2668-72U 14.1" SXGA+ 1GB |IBM 701c

~o/
I met someone who looks a lot like you.
She does the things you do.
But she is an IBM.
/~o ---ELO from "Yours Truly 2059"

PRGeno
Freshman Member

#20 Post by PRGeno » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:42 pm

maximus_ wrote:Why are they only releasing low resolution models... This is absurd..
I agree, and more.

I really don't care about Windows keys, or titanium lids. Having them or not isn't a real concern for me. Performance, flexible configuration choices, and build quality are much more of a concern.

I'm afraid without an WUXGA option, and significant performance component spec upgrades, I will sadly be leaving the Thinkpad camp.

I have been exclusively buying Thinkpads for not only my own personal use, but all of my company's mobile deployments (hundreds of Thinkpads), over the past 17 years.

Watching Lenovo fall so far behind the current state of the art, after IBM Thinkpads had always defined the state of the art, is very sad.

I have been waiting to replace my aging A31p with just the right T model, but it never became available. So it appears a top of the line HP nw9440 is in my near future. This will be my first non-Thinkpad notebook, although I have been using HP/Compaq desktops and workstations for almost as many years as I have Thinkpads. If all goes as expected, my company's switch to HP will be soon to follow. Lenovo simply doesn't have anything close to comparable at this point.

A sad day indeed.

PRGeno

marlinspike

#21 Post by marlinspike » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:49 pm

PRGeno wrote:
maximus_ wrote:Why are they only releasing low resolution models... This is absurd..
Watching Lenovo fall so far behind the current state of the art, after IBM Thinkpads had always defined the state of the art, is very sad.
In what spec is the T series lacking other than in the gaming graphics card department?

Also, from one HP user to another (first Compaq desktop bought in 1994, also an HP desktop and Compaq notebook bought in 2002, and an HP laptop bought in 2003), I'm surprised to hear your buying another. They're ok products for the price, but that for the price is key, plus as the years get on and you start to need to upgrade/replace parts the fact that every last part is proprietary drives me batty.

tomh009
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#22 Post by tomh009 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:36 pm

PRGeno wrote:I'm afraid without an WUXGA option, and significant performance component spec upgrades, I will sadly be leaving the Thinkpad camp.

I have been waiting to replace my aging A31p with just the right T model, but it never became available. So it appears a top of the line HP nw9440 is in my near future.
OK, so you want/need WUXGA, and we don't really know yet what will be available. But what is the other performance component shortfall? The Core 2 Duos are pretty much up to date (as up to date as Intel's mobile chips are!) and 7200 rpm disks are readily available. Certainly the current T series looks like a significant performance step up from the A31p, at least from my perspective.

PRGeno
Freshman Member

#23 Post by PRGeno » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:14 pm

tomh009 wrote: OK, so you want/need WUXGA, and we don't really know yet what will be available. But what is the other performance component shortfall? The Core 2 Duos are pretty much up to date (as up to date as Intel's mobile chips are!) and 7200 rpm disks are readily available. Certainly the current T series looks like a significant performance step up from the A31p, at least from my perspective.
The comparison isn't between current Ts and my old A series. It between what Lenovo has available when I need to upgrade, and what other vendors have available when I need to upgrade.

The UXGA screens are no longer available, and the WUXGA seems to be missing from the future line. A top performance level graphics card is useful to more than gaming (I personally don't play computer games), and is the key component to UI performance, especially with Vista coming. The delay in delivering the Core 2s and with lower clock speeds in comparison to what is already available elsewhere. These are examples of Lenovo following the market, rather than leading it as I've come to expect from my Thinkpad past.

This is the first time in my notebook buying life that not only isn't a Thinkpad the clear choice (nothing else was even close to the A31p when I made that decision), but one is not even in the running at the moment. That is a very sad fact to me. I can't help wondering about Lenovo's future handling of the Thinkpad line.

I don't plan to purchase before Vista becomes available, as I expect all vendors will announce, and hopefully be ready to deliver, lots of new systems in conjunction with Vista's release. Maybe Lenovo will surprise us, and I certainly hope they do.

RUSH2112

#24 Post by RUSH2112 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:19 pm

The Z61p uses a WUXGA screen, so I think its would be fair to say that a potential T61p-Widescreen would be WUXGA.
www.frattaroli.us
Roll the bones

marlinspike

#25 Post by marlinspike » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:19 pm

PRGeno wrote: The UXGA screens are no longer available, and the WUXGA seems to be missing from the future line. A top performance level graphics card is useful to more than gaming (I personally don't play computer games), and is the key component to UI performance, especially with Vista coming. The delay in delivering the Core 2s and with lower clock speeds in comparison to what is already available elsewhere. These are examples of Lenovo following the market, rather than leading it as I've come to expect from my Thinkpad past.
Well, I personally don't care for UXGA, SXGA+ is what I like, but that's personal.

And who says their Core 2's have low clock speeds? The problem with Lenovo isn't the product, it's the website. Call them, they can build stuff that you can't configure through the website (though personally I see no need for anything more than a T7400).

I realize there is more to graphics cards than games, but what non-game needs more than a V5250? Also, they are the only company I can think of with a port replicator a PCI-Express video card.

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#26 Post by christopher_wolf » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:39 pm

Website, eh? Whatever is wrong with looking through the Tabook, picking a model, talking/configuring it with a rep, then getting it?

If one is going to live with a laptop for a long time, and Thinkpads last longer on average than most other laptops out there, it would be best to configure it directly and talk to a rep to make sure you know what you are getting. :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

marlinspike

#27 Post by marlinspike » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:41 pm

christopher_wolf wrote:If one is going to live with a laptop for a long time, and Thinkpads last longer on average than most other laptops out there, it would be best to configure it directly and talk to a rep to make sure you know what you are getting. :)
I agree 100% with you, which is why that's what I did, but you have to admit they don't really make the tabook accessible. IBM was all about 1 on 1 service, the people at the call centers still are, but I don't think lenovo's website is pushing that hard enough.

bapatterson
Freshman Member

#28 Post by bapatterson » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:54 am

I don't believe that ThinkPads have ever been cutting edge machines--nor were they meant to be. Cutting edge machines are not particularly stable.

The ThinkPad model has been to wait until a technology has matured, is stable, and then incorporate it into the computers. Leaving out for the most part, of course, consumer oriented features. ThinkPads are business machines.

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#29 Post by christopher_wolf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:06 am

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to find stuff via the latest version of the tabook...isn't it? :lol:

I think that "Cutting Edge/Innovative Technology" is getting mixed up with "Flashy" Technology (meant generally to razzle-dazzle most consumers) here. Thinkpads have been cutting edge in the sense that they include technology that is innovative *and* applicable; the folding TrackWrite Butterfly keyboard on my 701c, the ThinkLight, the Accelerometers for the HDAPS system. The Thinkpads were the first to have these new technologies and, still, are the best at it. When was the last time that we have heard of a problem with the HDAPS itself? Just about all the innovative technology that is on Thinkpads is very stable and works very well.

Now, as far as multimedia options like the SD card reader go? Sony's have had those for a long time while the T Series really hasn't. Why? Because the majority of the clientelle for the T Series never needed them in a business/professional setting. :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

rleo25

#30 Post by rleo25 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:14 pm

It is very strange that point of view of a bussiness man that has bought 100s of Thinkpads before and is considering HP as an alternative... well that's his opinion. However such statements should be taken with a certain reasonable doubt. By the way, Thinkpads didn't exist 17 years ago... the first 700T and C appeared 14 years ago, by the end of 1992... Beware of malicious posts...