Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Has anybody tried Epoxy putty for damaged laptop plastics?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
blink
Sophomore Member

Has anybody tried Epoxy putty for damaged laptop plastics?

#1 Post by blink » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:51 am

Just wondering if anybody has tried this as got a couple of TPs with damaged bases & palm rests. I know the palm rest is easyish to replace but i am not too bothered & a decent 'patch up' would suffice. You can also get it in black so i wouldnt need to paint. Is it easy & a suitable form of repair. Its got to look better than tape surely? :D
Thanks
Many Thanks for any advice, shared knowledge & wisdom is a wonderful thing.
1st Thinkpad T42 (Old 570,600e, A21,X31,X40,X41) Current X60s, T60, Z61T,X200

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Has anybody tried Epoxy putty for damaged laptop plastics?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:26 am

Try this great alternative: Sugru.
Works virtually anywhere, and is also available in black.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

blink
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by blink » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:23 am

:banana: Thanks again RBS. You are an absolute diamond.

bit_twiddler

#4 Post by bit_twiddler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:32 am

You can try the baking soda and super glue trick.

Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaEClTO17y4

I've fixed small cracks in my TP this way.
Daily Drivers: W520 i7-2760QM | W520 i7-2860QM | T420 FHD IPS i7-2640m | W701
Others: W510 | 701C (on its shrine)
Non-TP: Dell m7510
Currently Experimenting With: T420s

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by MikalE » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:34 am

You can buy a product called Plastic Weld at any chain auto parts store. It is a two part product, but I don't know (I don't think so) if it acts as a solvent to bond the plastic together or if it is just an incredibly strong adhesive. I have never used it though I have a package of it sitting in the shop.

I have always used JB Weld and JB Weld Quick for non-stressed plastic repair. It is not a solvent and is just a two-part steel epoxy.

If you use either of these products I would recommend you use at least a 120 grit sandpaper to rough the surfaces that this will be applied to and work from the back of the part if possible. Both of these products can be quite messy if used carelessly. Reinforce the part across the break or crack with a small piece of backing plastic if at all possible.

I used the JB Weld quick on (among other unrelated items) on a T500 palmrest before replacing it with a new one. It held up well and I believe i still have the repaired part hanging around somewhere.

But I am a fanatic for new looking equipment, and a cracked palmrest, no matter how good the repair, was not going to stay on one of my machines.

Try to stay away from the cyanoacrylate products. They will craze plastic and it produces a white haze on any surface the vapor from this product contacts.
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

blink
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by blink » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks for your replies guys & tips that is very informative & really appreciated. I ordered some of the stuff that RBS kindly suggested earlier (easy for me to get in the uk & does not look too tricky to apply) But i will certainly also consider these options & your advice also depending on the repair. I am sure others will also be very grateful if they see this thread.

Personally while i can really appreciate a great looking laptop, i am not overly fussy about appearance as long as it works well. Especially on older models.
However i guess its a bit like cars. A friend of mine must have a car in mint condition. I am satisified if it loooks decent enough & gets me around . He wouldnt entertain driving what i would lol.
Many Thanks once again

sir_synthsalot
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by sir_synthsalot » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:21 pm

MikalE wrote:You can buy a product called Plastic Weld at any chain auto parts store. It is a two part product, but I don't know (I don't think so) if it acts as a solvent to bond the plastic together or if it is just an incredibly strong adhesive. I have never used it though I have a package of it sitting in the shop.

I have always used JB Weld and JB Weld Quick for non-stressed plastic repair. It is not a solvent and is just a two-part steel epoxy.

If you use either of these products I would recommend you use at least a 120 grit sandpaper to rough the surfaces that this will be applied to and work from the back of the part if possible. Both of these products can be quite messy if used carelessly. Reinforce the part across the break or crack with a small piece of backing plastic if at all possible.

I used the JB Weld quick on (among other unrelated items) on a T500 palmrest before replacing it with a new one. It held up well and I believe i still have the repaired part hanging around somewhere.

But I am a fanatic for new looking equipment, and a cracked palmrest, no matter how good the repair, was not going to stay on one of my machines.

Try to stay away from the cyanoacrylate products. They will craze plastic and it produces a white haze on any surface the vapor from this product contacts.
I used JB Plastic Weld on my car to glue back plastic trim that fell off. It doesn't act as a solvent. It's an adhesive that turns hard once it cures.

I plan on trying it to fix up my T410s case. I haven't decided whether to use it as it or use it to glue a piece of plastic to reinforce it.
I'M DONE WITH THINKPADS, JUST DONE!!!

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by TPFanatic » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:27 pm

I successfully used some kind of Epoxy to strengthen weakened magnesium frame places in my Z60m Murderscenepad.