Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T41 display keeps shutting off

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Goto-

T41 display keeps shutting off

#1 Post by Goto- » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi,

This problem just started today where the display will shut off after 30sec-7min. Usually if I tap the Fn + F7 keys three times it will show.

This is happening both when I am in Windows XP or if I am in the BIOS utility at startup.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

Re: T41 display keeps shutting off

#2 Post by rkawakami » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Ideas...

- If your LCD is showing signs of a reddish or pinkish hue, that would indicate that the backlight is on its way out. That could put undue strain on the inverter (the part which converts a small DC voltage into a large AC voltage needed to drive the backlight). The fix is to replace the screen or attempt to swap out the backlight (not easy to do and there's a slight change you could damage the display).
- The inverter itself is getting weak. Swap it out with a known good unit.
- The lid switch is intermittently being triggered. It could be partially stuck in the down position so push on it a few times.
- There is a problem on the motherboard which is cutting off voltage to the inverter. Replace the motherboard.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

Goto-

#3 Post by Goto- » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks,

Depressing the lid switch didn't solve the problem but at least I can get the LCD to turn on quickly.

There is no pinkish hue so it must be this inverter or motherboard of which you speak.

topshot
Freshman Member

#4 Post by topshot » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:16 pm

You don't always get the pink hue (sometimes it goes away quickly too) so it may still be the backlight. Given the age, that would be my first suspect but more of a pain to replace than the inverter.

I found reducing the brightness also increased the time before it would go out.

Goto-

#5 Post by Goto- » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:28 pm

I bought a new inverter to have the same problem, after a few seconds the monitor will shut off @.@

If it was the backlight, why would it shut off? Why would it turn on then shut off?
Why would the screen be normal for a few seconds then shut off? FYI it seems that if I don't use it and then turn it on the monitor will last more than a few seconds before it shuts off.

Another thing. If the laptop is completely dark and I shine a flashlight on it I can see the Desktop and such, just saying : ). That is something I noticed instead of having to stick something in the lid switch to have the screen light up.

Which brings me to another question. http://therning.org/niklas/2009/05/fixi ... nkpad-r32/ says that I should run some sort of disk utility when installing a new inverter. Is this true? http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/docs/MIGR-46464, on page 164 it does not say anything about having to use a disk utility to install a new inverter.

related YouTube videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUO_ULPMe7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTkp7zC0wGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_trXGEYT4

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:18 am

From your description, you have a bad CCFL.
Most likely it is actually broken.
These CCFL tubes sit tight in a very narrow space, that holds the tube in place AND "together".
When the CCFL is cold, it will work for a few seconds, but as soon as it warms up, the crack in the tube widens and it switches off.
Let it cool down for a few seconds, and it will work again for a few seconds.
Repeat after me...
So the LCD has the normal display-part working, but NO backlight.
Replace the CCFL or the LCD or even the complete lid.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Goto-

#7 Post by Goto- » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:55 am

Instead of replacing the CCFL can I put a LED in it instead?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:02 am

Not just one LED, but a whole string of LEDs plus 'feeding'-hardware.
There are companies that sell such conversion sets.
If you can read German, more info here: http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/181310 ... ht=t41+LED

topshot
Freshman Member

#9 Post by topshot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:50 am

Goto- wrote:Instead of replacing the CCFL can I put a LED in it instead?
I believe some here have also used these

Goto-

#10 Post by Goto- » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:26 am

Interesting.

My only reason to change from CCFL to LED is with the assumption that possibly the enclosure for the CCFL is to tight, making it to have cracked after a long summer day. I base this reason because it had failed during spring/summer and it was stationary. Not like I went jogging with it.

I am under the assumption that LED's pretty are more durable and will last almost forever or over the span of one person's life. However, after looking at this ad on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/310mm-led-backl ... 3a879355e0, converting it to LED seems that it may be a difficult feat if I have to install another inverter board after the inverter or to replace the manufacturer's inverter.

Thanks for that iccfl.com site link. However this laptop is only worth that amount so replacing it at the lowest price is best for me. However, to fix it without ever having to worry about this problem ever happening again for just a little more is the decision breaker. Heck, if the SVGA port worked I would just use an extra monitor that I have.

If the strip ordered is too long can I just take a pair of scissors to it and trim it to the correct length?
Last edited by Goto- on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topshot
Freshman Member

#11 Post by topshot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:48 am

I don't know about tubes "cracking" but they do go bad just like any other fluorescent light so will need to be replaced eventually though usually you'd have replaced the PC by that time.

Anyway, why doesn't your VGA port work? Your graphics chip is apparently working if you can see the Windows desktop on your panel with a flashlight.

You'd have to ask the vendor if it can be trimmed or not. The inverter just replaces the one in there, not in addition. Current one uses voltage way too high for LEDs so you need a different inverter.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:51 pm

You'd need 305mm according to the German forum-link I gave you.
Also, the eBay instructions are utterly useless for your screen.

Goto-

#13 Post by Goto- » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Ya, that's what stumped me. I have only seen household fluorescent tube lights either stop working or flicker when they need replacement.

Sounds too complicated to change to LED. What if the new inverter does not have the same female port to link to the mother board cable. What if the new inverter is too thick, etc. ?

Thanks for that German link. At least now I know which length CCFL to purchase : )

Are the wires that connect to the CCFL as easy to connect as just soldering them to it? Does it require special solder?