Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

701C external floppy and T22 (dock, port repl, etc.)

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Bob Collins

701C external floppy and T22 (dock, port repl, etc.)

#1 Post by Bob Collins » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:20 am

Okay, got an odd one here, or so I think it is. I have a 701C and the usual suspects of extra pieces, port replicator, external floppy, extra power bricks and the like. I am wondering if the following is possible.

Do any of the docks or port replicators for the T22 accept the external floppy connector like the 701C external floppy has? The external floppy is FRU 10H4056 or IBM P/N 10H3980. The cable for the flop looks like a mini SCSI (external) connector with 36 gold contacts. The width of the connector is approx 1".

I am back into the Warp4 on the T22 thing, and am having troubles with booting from floppy and then changning to CD/DVD rom. Seems, even if I boot to DOS 7 (win95 boot disk) and can read from the CD/DVD, I can copy the install files to HD, but then Warp does not like to look to HD for files it *expects* to find on the CD. Anyway, that is not so germain, but thought I would give a bit of an explanation as to why I wanted to connect this external floppy and keep the CD/DVD in the T22.

Thanks
Bob
701C, 600X, T22, G4 Powerbook

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#2 Post by w0qj » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:55 pm

i have successfully re-used my floppy drive & AC Adapter from my ancient Thinkpad 560 that is slightly older than your 701C (the gullwing keyboard a la 007 ;).

assuming that your 701C, use the same proprietary IBM Thinkpad floppy drive connection (which is likely), you can connect this to a Port Replicator II and can boot from this diskette drive.

i've done this successfully with my T42s and Port Replicator II (i believe all IBM Port Replicators and Docking Stations have this proprietary IBM Thinkpad floppy drive connection--but you need to double check.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &storeId=1
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/accessories/docks.html

also, you can re-use your AC Adapter to power your Thinkpad as i have done (the maximum Amperage is slightly lower than required for T42s which some people in this forum don't recommend--but can use with no apparent ill effect, since i don't regularly overstress the power system of my Thinkpad).

Bob Collins

#3 Post by Bob Collins » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:43 am

Thank you, that looks very interesting. I shall look into that.

Cheers
Bob
701C, 600X, T22, G4 Powerbook

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by w0qj » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:38 pm

hi bob,

just an update fyi...

Your old power adapter for your Thinkpad 701C may work, but if you consistently over use it, it may fail prematurely.

my compter is:
T42s 2373-K5H
1 GB RAM
7K60 Hitachi Travelstar HDD

This past 6 mths, I've been using my old IBM Thinkpad 560's power adapter (35W, 2.2A, Part No. 12J1443) with no apparent ill effect on above computer for occasional use (secondary power supply for limited use at home).
Check emails, type up misc. office document, excel use, etc.
Just light use...

BUT just last week, i used my T42s very heavily for an entire day (burn my CD's into MP3, while doing MP3 edits of my tapes at the same time (all personal materials), and charging my 6-cell battery at the same time.

At the end of the day, the old nearly failed (overheat, started to have a burning smell--i disconnected it immediatedly), possibly due to power over-draw (RAM, CPU, HDD, CD-ROM, battery recharging all in use constantly for while day).

This old Thinkpad 560's power adapter (35W, 2.2A, Part No. 12J1443) still works--but only my wife's T40 with occasional use now.
It simply don't work on my T42s anymore (maybe the overheating damaged it's power output permanently).

Just for everyone's reference, for what it's worth...