thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
Goodbye Lorita, wherever you've gone..

If you've found this forum useful, please consider donating a dollar or two

It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:16 am 

Just thought I'll share some info re my experience with Thinkpads T40-T42, they are basically the same and all have same problems.
First of all, GPU problem as its the main and most known problem. Bad case design is the main reason that the GPU solder balls cracks. Everytime You move your thinkpad holding two front corners, case is bending(cheap and to thin plastic without any proper metal case inside), so is the board and solder finally crack. This can be properly repaired only with a proper BGA station, dont even bother using hot guns, etc. You need to have at least preheater to heat the board from the bottom, otherwise You're making it only worse. All that videos on Youtube is only a HOW TO for a how to brake it completely.

There are two ways to fix the GPU problem, reflowing the chip and reballing the chip.

1. Reflowing is almost as good as reballing but there are two conditions. First, You need to use a proper flux under the chip to do it. Melting point, solder structure is better, etc so the flux is a MUST have thing if You're doing it. Second, You need to slightly move the chip, just to touch it and push it approx 1mm when the solder is melted. The chip will move when You push it and it will go back to its original position. All the cracks will disappear and solder structure will go back to factory structure. Leave it until its cold again and You've got almost brand new board.

2. Reballing is a proper way to do it but it takes more time and unfortunately You may brake your board by doing it. You need to take the chip off the board, solder in new balls(or buy a new chip) and put it back on the board. If its done properly with Sn/Pb balls You've got a brand new upgraded board most likely free from the GPU problem.
Few problems with it. First, there are two versions of the ATI 7500 chip, one with glue around the memory chips and the other without it. If You've got one without the glue, You need a new chip. Second thing is the glue under the chip, if You've got red dots of glue in the corners ONLY - you are lucky - your board might be still repairable. If You've got a board with a BLACK or WHITE GLUE UNDER the chip - then start looking for a new board as its almost impossible to repair it. Why? Its impossible to reflow that chip as the solder expands with temperature and move outside the chip if its glued around and it will mess up connections. Its also almost impossible to reball that chip as the contacts under the chip probably already fell off with the balls or they will if You try to remove the chip. Glue holds the chip to the board but not the balls and pads when You bend the board and they are really fragile. So...
NEVER USE GLUE UNDER THE CHIP IN THINKPADS T4X and try to avoid these boards if You're buying one.

Fan problem, its either a broken fan or a broken fan circuit. If its the fan - replace it preferably with a long one but any fan from T40, T41 or T42 will work in your thinkpad T40-T41-T42. They are exactly the same even if the part number is different. If its the board problem, then fan is controlled by U23 H8S2169(might differ with your board). FAN_FRQ goes to pin 80 U23. FAN_ON comes from pin 3 U23.

Mod Edit - Removed links to Proprietary IBM Schematics - Harryc

No audio devices - no sound.
sound card is AD1981B, amplifier is: AN12942A. Any of them could be faulty.

USB problem (I'll add later)

Processor power circuit problem. Laptop turns on for a second then goes off, and the only way to do it again is to remove battery and AC.
Faulty ADP3205.

Anything else?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:45 am 
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Mod Edit - Removed pics of Proprietary IBM schematics. Also, per forum rules you need to put a warning in the subject line when posting an image, and the size must be small.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:27 pm 

I did not know that they are property of IBM. I've bought schematics some time ago. Its quite easy to find them on many forums and in every proper laptop repair shop.
Anyway if someone would need them please email me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:51 pm 
Admin
Admin

If these are proper IBM schematics, then there should be some notes down in the lower right corner like "IBM CONFIDENTIAL" and "This document is the property of IBM....".

ref: http://www.thinkpads.com/forum/viewtopi ... 29&t=78082 (previous thread about posting of IBM schematics)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:25 pm 

These were just fragments which I have found on another electronics forum and linked the schematics, so I cant tell if they were proper IBM ones as there was no logos or anything like that. Anyway, very important for everyone with FAN problem. I'll try to redraw them later :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:20 am 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

PM sent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:30 am 
Sophomore Member

The cound card does not show up in device manager at all. I am guessing it is the sound chip. I'm, going to try to have it replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:04 pm 

Yes, replace the sound card and it should work fine again. Its a 1 minute job with a hot air. I've just done that in two boards, both have audio again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:16 pm 
Sophomore Member

What about no Modem, I swapped the card and still no modem is detected. Any ideas?