For those electrical engineers out there, please bear with me ...I'm better with software and networking
I have a T60 (2613) that I've used on and off over the last few yrs. A few weeks ago I was moving it while it was connected to the power cord, heard a crackle, and realized the plug that goes into the DC in receptor was sparking and wires were exposed. (I read that was a common issue with the standard adapter package.)
I was going to order the replacement part (AC adapter 90W 20V - FRU 42T5000) online but decided I didn't want to wait, so I went to the local office store to find a replacement.
I asked the floor sales guy if he had what I needed. I was presented with a Targus 90W 19.5V charger. The amps on the original part is 4.5A. The replacement he handed me was 4.61A. I asked if the difference in voltage and amps would cause an issue and I was assured since the 90W output was the same, the part would do the trick. I had my doubts but thought I'd give it a whirl.
I plugged it into the laptop at home and the battery began to rapidly discharge and then gave me the battery error message and shut down. (The plug icon never popped up to recognize the adapter BTW.) I was going to need a new battery soon just based on the age/use of the old one, so I opted to purchase a new one online.
While waiting for the battery, I did attempt to see if the machine would run with plugged in with no battery. Not surprisingly it would not start up.
I thought perhaps between the frying of the first adapter and the off voltage/amps of the 2nd adapter that I fried the DC in, so I ordered that replacement kit.
Got the new battery and when in the machine it was discharging at around 1% per minute.
So I dissassembled the machine and installed the new DC in part and reapplied grease to the CPU etc.
Got it all back together and it still runs fine however the battery continued to discharge and of course the adapter won't charge it or power the machine.
So after reading other advice on here, I'm guessing I either fried the charging circuit or the motherboard (FRU 41W1454). (Unless the incorrect adapter could be doing all of that.)
So my questions are:
1) Will the difference of .5V and .11A cause a lack of charging and/or damage the circuitry?
2) Is there anything I can use in PC Doctor or the Power Management Settings that will allow me to pinpoint the source of the problems (ie: fried charging circuit vs other damaged component).
3) If I can't use a software/management setting to determine the problem, is there a good way to tell which component is the source of the prob? If I were to take the mobo to a big pc parts store, could they do a quick test and pinpoint if it was the board or the circuit?
I don't want to purchase a new mobo if it's just something as simple as the adapter, but considering the rate of discharge on the battery when the adapter isn't connected, I'm thinking something is awry inside.
Feel free to add some obligatory laughter at all I've done thus far to potentially exacerbate the problem. I just have to laugh
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.