Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Installing SSD and Windows 7

T60/T61 Series
DNL

Installing SSD and Windows 7

#1 Post by DNL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:22 am

I have an IBM refurbished t61p and I want to install a new Kingston ExtremeX SSD and Windows 7 from a fresh unopened OEM disk.

I have not installed the Middleton BIOS.

In what order do I do things?

What are the gotchas?

I assume:

1. Install SSD

2. Boot from OEM Windows disk by holding down C key.

3. Install Windows. (Install Windows Microsoft Security Essentials)

4. Install updates.

5. Then change to Middleton BIOS.

I welcome all advice. I have not done any of this before. In particular, I am intimidated by making changes to the BIOS and by changing from one BIOS to another.

Tasurinchi

Re: Installing SSD and Windows 7

#2 Post by Tasurinchi » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 am

I personally would start installing Middleton BIOS first.

I never had any problems with that BIOS, but if some issue arises after flashing, at least you did not loose your time doing the clean install and all the updates...

My 2 cents...
IBM Convertible 5140/L40SX/220/240/240X/2*340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/2*570/2*600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E
A20p/A22p/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/2*T22/4*T4x/11*T6x/6*T40x/6*T5x0/3*W5x0/W700/3*X2x/4*X3x/3*X4x/5*X6x/3*X6xT/12*X2xx/4*X30x/Z60m/3*Z61x

ScottyBoy
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by ScottyBoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 am

Tasurinchi wrote:I personally would start installing Middleton BIOS first.

I never had any problems with that BIOS, but if some issue arises after flashing, at least you did not loose your time doing the clean install and all the updates...

My 2 cents...
+1 - Agree completely, as ideally you'd would want that in place so you can set-up your BIOS settings fully before the next set of hardware & software related steps. :D

DNL

#4 Post by DNL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Thank you. I get it.

Would anyone be willing to describe the process of installing the Middleton BIOS.

And would anyone be willing to describe the settings I need to make in the newly installed BIOS prior to installing Windows. I know that I need to hit the delete key as the machine starts to boot and then there are some settings to make.

Are these things described anywhere?

ScottyBoy
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by ScottyBoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:54 pm

DNL wrote:Thank you. I get it.

Would anyone be willing to describe the process of installing the Middleton BIOS.

And would anyone be willing to describe the settings I need to make in the newly installed BIOS prior to installing Windows. I know that I need to hit the delete key as the machine starts to boot and then there are some settings to make.

Are these things described anywhere?
I'm out just now (posting this via my SP) but essentially would you'd be looking to do is to download the Middleton BIOS relevant for your TP's model type - once it's downloaded you'd extract the files and either burn the appropriate ISO image to a CD/DVD or extract the contents of the ISO (via 7-Zip as an example) and copy that over to a bootable USB flash memory stick, which you would boot off of (ensuring your BIOS start-up has the USB media having priority over the other devices) & then kick off the manual flash command.

One thing you have to bear in mind though is there is a chance you can brick your TP if doing this update...you really need to bear this in mind before even considering doing it.

EDIT: You'd also need to ensure that you have a charged battery inserted into your TP along with a powered mains connection as well.

In addition to that you would also update the SATA Controller settings, via the BIOS, to have AHCI Enabled to assist with improving SATA performance for your SSD as well AFTER the Middleton BIOS is installed and BEFORE you install the Windows OS onto the SSD.

If I get time later on (maybe tomorrow dependent upon this bl00dy train I'm on!) I'll see if I can upload links to the mains Middleton BIOS Table on it's thread over at the NBR Forum but also a handy post by a member over there covering the process on how to do the Middleton BIOS update via a USB bootable flash memory stick. :D

DNL

#6 Post by DNL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:56 am

I have a few more questions about the Middleton BIOS update. In the suggestions and tips you all have provided so far you speak of installing from a flash drive. As I read the text of the Read Me file supplied with the BIOS update (copied below) it seems to say: download the update to the C: drive, unzip it, and run WINUPTP.EXE as an administrator.

As far as running anything from a thumbdrive or CD, that seems to refer to doing an update on a machine that is running 64 bit Windows 7. If the machine is running XP, the instructions indicate that is not necessary.

I would understand if someone writes back saying go ahead and put the update on a USB device and run from there, but I want to make sure if that is what you all are suggesting.

My laptop, a Lenovo t61p, is currently running Windows XP. I want to end up with 64bit Windows 7.

I have a newly purchased unopened OEM version of 64 bit Windows 7. I will also be installing an SSD. I am reading Hearsts Clean Install Guide.

I have no programs or data on the laptop that needs protecting or copying.

My current understanding is:

1. Download to the C drive the update and install it by running WINUPTP.EXE as an administrator. I will do this on my computer in its present state, which is 32 bit Windows XP.

2. Install 64 bit Windows 7. (I will try and understand how to preserve the Lenovo features as I don't have any Lenovo install disks. The computer was purchased from IBM as a refurbished unit.)

Finally, I am not sure if I want the CTRL-FN swap. I have been working on Macs and the thinkpad is new to me. Is there an annoyance about the keyboard that I am unaware of?

Thanks to all.

The following is the text of the Read Me file for the MIddleton BIOS update:

This is Lenovo ThinkPad BIOS.

Changelog:

- Disabled whitelist check.
- Enabled SATA II full speed.
- Added SLIC 2.1 table.
- Removed "Thermal sensing error" boot message (Penryn CPUs).
- Added dual-IDA support.

Version 2.29-1.08
BIOS: 2.29 / ECP: 1.08

Supported ThinkPad systems:

- R61 (14.1 inch widescreen models with IEEE 1394)
- R61i (14.1 inch widescreen models with IEEE 1394)
- T61/T61p

Note: You can choose "BIOS update + CTRL-FN swap" version of this BIOS if you like CTRL-FN swap.

Updating the BIOS:

1) Run WINUPTP.EXE as administrator.
2) Select 'Update ThinkPad BIOS' and follow the instructions on the screen.
3) After the update has been completed, the program shows a message 'Flash Update has been successfully completed...'.
Follow the instructions on the screen to restart the computer.

There is no BIOS update for T61/T61p which you can flash under 64-bit Windows. Lenovo recommends the following:
"If Windows Vista or 7 64-bit is already installed on your system, then you must use the bootable CD ISO format
of this BIOS update".
Bootable CD-image is included in this package.

Important note: When you boot from this CD, BIOS update will start automatically.

Pay attention that there are two ISO images (#1 and #2) for the CTRL-FN swap version. Use "#1.iso" first.
If the CTRL-FN swap works properly after applying ISO #1, then everything is OK.
In case ISO #1 flash is successfully completed but the CTRL-FN swap doesn't work, you have to use ISO #2.

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by TuuS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:49 pm

There are two ways to apply the bios, running the WINUPTP.exe file as administrator from a 32bit windows version, or the bootable .iso file. I prefer doing it in windows as long as you have a stable computer and it's not likely to crash during the update, which is why it's important to do this BEFORE you do the other work.

Never flash a newly built system, do it first, or wait until you're sure the system is stable.

I've only had a problem once out of over 100 installations of this bios and it was using the bootable cdrom. The computer in question was stable, but when I booted the disc the optical drive exhibited the classic signs of having read errors and there was no option to abort, unlike the windows install utility that gives you multiple redundant warnings before it begins.

If you don't have a 32bit windows version then you have less options, but you can boot from a 32bit winPE disc and run the flash from your harddrive, or just use the bootable disc if you're sure it's a good burn and your drive is good.

Right click on "winuptp.exe" and select "run as administrator" then follow the on screen instructions. When finished, load the bios settings and press f9 to load defaults, then make any changes that may be necessary and press f10 to save and exit.

Now when you install your OS, it will properly setup the harddrive controller.

DNL

#8 Post by DNL » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:00 pm

OK. I ran winumtp.exe as an administrator and followed the on screen instructions. I ran the BIOS update in the 32 bit folder. I got a message at the end saying that BIOS was updated successfully and that I needed to restart.

Whew....

I restarted.

TuuS, where and how do I do as you suggested: "When finished, load the bios settings and press f9 to load defaults, then make any changes that may be necessary and press f10 to save and exit"?

I have never made any custom BIOS settings so I don't have to remake any, right? I am assuming you are telling me that any changes my system or hardware needs would have to be reset but I am unaware of any.

The t61p was purchased from IBM as a refurbished unit. IBM had loaded XP on it. I think originally the machine had Vista.

Is it possible there are some settings that have been made at IBM's refurbishment factory but I don't know what they are? I didn't make notes of what the BIOS settings were before I did the update. Wish I had.

My goal, starting tomorrow, is to install a SSD and then load Windows 7. (FYI, I have no data or programs to protect on my computer.)

You guys are so helpful. I really appreciate it.

DNL

#9 Post by DNL » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:30 pm

One more thing...how do I know if the BIOS really updated? How do I know if, when I install the SATA II drive, that the computer is letting the drive run at SATA II speed?

ScottyBoy
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by ScottyBoy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:46 pm

DNL wrote:One more thing...how do I know if the BIOS really updated? How do I know if, when I install the SATA II drive, that the computer is letting the drive run at SATA II speed?
Do a cold boot of your ThinkPad and access the BIOS (via the F1 key) to confirm the firmware version listed. With regards to the speed of the SATA HDD you can download and run the portable version of CrystalDiskInfo, which will show the SMART related statistics for your HDD including the field titled 'Transfer Mode'; it will show speeds of SATA/150, SATA/300, etc. :D

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by TuuS » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:19 pm

DNL wrote:
TuuS, where and how do I do as you suggested: "When finished, load the bios settings and press f9 to load defaults, then make any changes that may be necessary and press f10 to save and exit"?

I have never made any custom BIOS settings so I don't have to remake any, right? I am assuming you are telling me that any changes my system or hardware needs would have to be reset but I am unaware of any.
Some people have certain settings enabled or disabled, in which case you'd have to change your preferences again after setting default settings. IBM refurbished machine should have all default settings.

Sounds like you had a successful bios flash so you have nothing to worry about.

DNL

#12 Post by DNL » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks to all.

Install of a SSD drive next, possibly followed by 8GB memory.

What are my options for upgrading the CPU?

I may also need a serial/parallel card for the bay. These are hard to find. Tuus, do you post your inventory anywhere?