Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Frankenpadders - The Ultimate T61P mod: Afterburner LED MOD

T60/T61 Series
f33lmywrath

Frankenpadders - The Ultimate T61P mod: Afterburner LED MOD

#1 Post by f33lmywrath » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 am

The purpose of this thread is to document the successful conversion of a T61P to LED. I have the Samsung 1920x1200 WUXGA, which is notorious for its inferior ccfl backlight.

I have a 08/08 dated machine..... I know, I know, she is within the window for nvidia failures. She has been a trusty workhorse through thick and thin, and don't doubt her now.

No pictures quite just yet, but I wanted to spitball a couple ideas off the veteran Frakenmodders out there:

- Viable odds at using a led driver that is compatible with the lenovo brightness control?
- Any specific led backlight manufacturer I should take a look at?

I picked up a T440 as my daily driver, so there are no reservations about keeping the t61p on the operating table as long as necessary. For all of you wondering, I have adjusted to the chiclet keyboard and also uni-button mouse. While I still wish I had three dedicated mouse buttons, I have have compromised and adapted to the future.

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Frakenpadders - The Ultimate T61P mod: Afterburner LED M

#2 Post by jronald » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:47 pm

I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

f33lmywrath

#3 Post by f33lmywrath » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Very nice work. I see you used panels with existing LEDs. Happen to have any suggestions for aftermarket LED backlights, and inverters/drivers? I do not want to mess with my vga cable, but ready to play around with the power cables :twisted:

f33lmywrath

#4 Post by f33lmywrath » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:53 pm

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:32 pm

f33lmywrath wrote:is it this easy??

http://www.xccfl.com/product_info.php?products_id=4729
No backlight swap is easy because all of them carry a significant risk of destroying the panel by introducing the dust specs between the layers of the LCD.

You've been forewarned.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:01 am

And there is no backlight On/Off or Dimmer on that kit.

Saucey

Re: Frankenpadders - The Ultimate T61P mod: Afterburner LED

#7 Post by Saucey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Botched one job due to testing it without properly leaving the LED's inverter secured, it started smoking and then pop, killed my T61. :(
It did work and turn on. I haven't touch many 15" IPS screens, but they are somewhat easy to change the backlight, broke one of the plastic tabs instead of taking out the whole screen and all those inner layers.... Not that this process is the best, but there is a lot less of a chance of getting dust inside it.
Haven't had an eBay complaint yet. 8)
Just get the size correct for the strip, check the inverter because I know there is one inverter that wont fit in there.

The other unit, it worked good during my month of using it but my freind I sold it to, told me it started to overheat, so that inverter may be a cause.
I had bought my inverters from iccfl.com, the photos are similar to the one on xcffl.
They also have an LED kit for an X61T! But I am cautious to try to deal with the goop on my unit, wont try it til I have a spare SXGA+ screen first.

If this is your first time... maybe 8/10 in diffuculty level?
14" widescreen T61 I couldn't do, backlight panel had a slightly different structure than the other 14" and 14" 4:3 units I've opened up (A31p being the easiest, but the replacement backlight I had gotten was actually smaller then the old one I took out, T4x units weren't to bad, with the exception of one panel, forgot).

I'd wager to have a spare screen to try it out first... be sure to take out the backlight and try to up it back in before trying the LED unit.
That way you'd know how fragile that process can be.
Oh and make sure there is NO dust around nor greasy fingers, don't want to get that stuff inside the screen!
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

xiphmont

#8 Post by xiphmont » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm

I've been documenting LED conversions for the X60 and X61 series. No disassembling the panel, full brightness range, leaving the inverter in-tact, based on modded Chinese kits.

Pages here:https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/think ... ight.shtml
thread here:http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=114881

The T60 and T61 are likely to work with the same recipes slightly modified for bigger strips/larger screens. If someone wants to send me a T61, I'll do the conversion for free in exchange for you being my guinea-pig. Well, I can do it once I'm back from an upcoming business trip anyway :-)

el-sahef
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by el-sahef » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:58 am

I have the samsung WUXGA in my R500 and changed the backlight from CCFL to LED with a LED kit from xccfl.

Pictures are here: http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/176970 ... ost1795846

Thread is in german but the images are the important thing. Brightness is improved (especially with a worn out CCFL) but there are reflections from the LEDs at the bottom. They do not bother me, because usually there is only the task bar in this area.
T70 15" 4:3 QXGA @ daylight LED, Core i7 7820HQ, 32 GB RAM, SSD
X62t, SXGA+ @ daylight LED, Core i7 5500U, 16 GB RAM, SSD
T70 WUXGA RGB-LED, Core i5 7300HQ, 32 GB RAM, SSD

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:16 am

I didn't read anything about the functionality of the new inverter.
Are there now backlight On/Off and a working Dimmer in that kit?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

wileE
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by wileE » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:33 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:I didn't read anything about the functionality of the new inverter.
Yes. These kits work very well.

Did an X61 SXGA+ yesterday. Maximum brightness is now 210 nits (measured with a Spyder3). Dimms down to about 60 nits.

FryPpy

#12 Post by FryPpy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 am

I want to do QXGA LED-mod. 15" from iccfl.com is waiting for screen ;)

I have modded old XGA (non IPS) from X61 when mod X61 to XGA IPS screen. But iccfl's kit have flicker for me (but without garland effect). I need to study schematics of iccfl's led driver board and try to mod for HF or something else.

PS

el-sahef:
I don't know what makes garland effect. But may be you can turn LED strip in CCFL tunnel - like described in xiphmont's work.

el-sahef
Sophomore Member

#13 Post by el-sahef » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 am

FryPpy, I tried this already on my QXGA screen, but the gaps between the LEDs cause differences in brightness up to the middle of the screen.

See this post for images:
http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/175703 ... ost1782380

To avoid this, I think that experimenting with different foils or a LED strip with no gaps betweeen the LEDs would be needed. If you want to give it a try despite this and are able to solve the issue, please post your solution ;) . I reverted to CCFL on the QXGA for now.

PS:
In the R500, I tried all orientations of the LED strip inside the CCFL tunnel, the reflections occured in all of them (more or less).

EDIT: Solution for QXGA LED backlight transformation found, see here: http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/178625 ... ost1920123
Last edited by el-sahef on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

xiphmont

#14 Post by xiphmont » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:I didn't read anything about the functionality of the new inverter.
There are now ThinkPad-specific kits at iCCFL and xCCFL that offer working brightness control with the ThinkPad's PWM-style backlight signalling, yes. Unfortunately, they max out at about a 5:1 true dimming range (compared to the original CCFL's 25:1 or so), and they flicker because they use the ThinkPad's low-frequency PWM signal as a direct brightness drive. They will flicker at 50Hz or 60Hz depending on the model and BIOS setup. It's locked to the screen's native refresh rate by default, though modern Linux kernels will up it.

On my backlight pages, I show how to mod these kits for high-frequency (24kHz) PWM to kill the flicker, and also how to get generic kits to work with ThinkPad brightness controls in continuous-drive (no flicker) mode. One of the generic kits that requires modification to work with a ThinkPad, the Unboosty, offers a 20:1 dimming range which is similar to the original CCFL.
FryPpy wrote: I need to study schematics of iccfl's led driver board and try to mod for HF or something else.
It's already done: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/think ... t.shtml#hf <-- large pics warning!
(It should be that board anyway; if it's not, I have no-flicker mods for three others on different pages there).
el-sahef wrote:FryPpy, I tried this already on my QXGA screen, but the gaps between the LEDs causes differences in brightness up to the middle of the screen.

PS:
In the R500, I tried all orientations of the LED strip inside the CCFL tunnel, the reflections occured in all of them (more or less).
Ah, you already answered one of my questions :-)

I've seen the garland effect in three cases:

a) using mid-power LEDs that focus their emission in one direction (not the usual wide-angle or diffused emission LEDs). Such LEDs are simply unsuitable for backlights. Got a macro picture of the LEDs/LED strip you used?
b) Incorrectly positioning the LEDs--- but it would have to be very bad positioning indeed, and if you already thought of that and experimented, that's not it.
c) the screen has exceptionally 'weak' diffusers/prisms (or one of the internal layers is outright missing). The screens with the weakest diffusion I've seen were the 'SuperView' units with the extra-wide-angle illumination pattern, like the AFFS SXGA+ screen in the X61T. It's possible the QXGA is even weaker... Do you know what the inner layers are and the relative haze ratings of the diffusers? Does it even have a top diffuser begind the recycling polarizer? Too bad those panels are expensive. It'd be nice to pop one open and have a look.
Last edited by xiphmont on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FryPpy

#15 Post by FryPpy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:17 pm

xiphmont wrote: It's already done: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/think ... t.shtml#hf
(It should be that board anyway; if it's not, I have no-flicker mods for three others on different pages there).
You are THE MAN! Yes it is Fancyboost. They scratched IC (why - we alreade know the secret ;) but some letters remains. Components placement slightly different - but it is IT. I can mod it. Your work is great - thanks!

My X61 controller.
http://s29.postimg.org/ai14yhqwn/P8120253.jpg <- PIC WARNING (201kb)

PS
I have ordered kit for X61t - but they shipped X61 (notebook) kit - and it is also will work for me!

el-sahef
Sophomore Member

#16 Post by el-sahef » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 pm

I used LED kits from http://www.xccfl.com. Their kits contain a LED strip according to the screen size with side firing LEDs and a modified inverter with the fancyboost LED driver (according to the image on your website) board soldered to it. For T60, they even made a custom inverter base board for the fancyboost LED driver board.

We had very different results in the german thinkpad forum when experimenting with different displays (always with the kits from this seller, there is a forum member that organizes collective orders for these). The flexview displays seem to have this issue more often than the non-flexview ones. But you can not generalize this, e. g. on the HV121X03-100 from my X61t , I did not get any reflections at all: http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/175703 ... ost1777015
xiphmont wrote:Do you know what the inner layers are and the relative haze ratings of the diffusers? Does it even have a top diffuser behind the recycling polarizer?
While experimenting with the QXGA, I just removed the metal frame, pulled out the CCFL from the side, inserted the LED strip, saw the poor result, inserted the CCFL again and did not open the display further (and will not do it ever). I am too scared of damaging it and I do not want to buy another new or used one regarding today's prices. Got mine for about 85$ some years ago, there was a seller on ebay that had a bunch of these. Unfortunately, I did not buy more than I needed at that time, I could have made a fortune ;) .

But I have not given up yet, I want to have a LED backlight in there. I had the idea of making one LED strip with no gaps between the LEDs out of two normal strips, but I do not know if the LED driver board would work with that much LEDs or could provide enough power to them.
Do you know a shop that has a LED strip with no gaps between the LEDs that I could buy?
xiphmont wrote:Got a macro picture of the LEDs/LED strip you used?
Image of the LEDs on the strip: http://abload.de/img/nahaufnahmensxiz.jpg (50,97 KB image)
Image of the LED Kit (one for 15,4", one for 15" where I glued the LED strip into a brass profile): http://abload.de/img/cimg2495rbxli.jpg (387,1 KB image)

xiphmont

#17 Post by xiphmont » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:35 pm

FryPpy wrote: My X61 controller.
http://s29.postimg.org/ai14yhqwn/P8120253.jpg <- PIC WARNING (201kb)
Yes, looks like they shifted to use smaller 0402 resistor packages so they could fatten up one of the LED return traces a little. Or maybe that's the older version, who knows? These kits are always a fun surprise when they arrive! Each is a unique snowflake :-)

Importantly, the values all look identical, you should be good to go. Let us know how it works out!

xiphmont

#18 Post by xiphmont » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:50 pm

el-sahef wrote:I used LED kits from http://www.xccfl.com. Their kits contain a LED strip according to the screen size with side firing LEDs and a modified inverter with the fancyboost LED driver (according to the image on your website) board soldered to it. For T60, they even made a custom inverter base board for the fancyboost LED driver board.
If it's like the other kits I've seen, they're recycling old inverter boards and carefully removing the bits for powering the CCFL to make room for the Fancyboost. Or maybe T60 is high enough volume they're actually fabbing complete CCFL-less inverters!
el-sahef wrote: We had very different results in the german thinkpad forum when experimenting with different displays (always with the kits from this seller, there is a forum member that organizes collective orders for these). The flexview displays seem to have this issue more often than the non-flexview ones. But you can not generalize this, e. g. on the HV121X03-100 from my X61t , I did not get any reflections at all: http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/175703 ... ost1777015
Right, none of the X-series screens I've worked on show the effect, even the SXGA+ with the weak diffusion. It's too bad some of the larger screens show it, and I agree now it has to be the specific screen :-(
el-sahef wrote: But I have not given up yet, I want to have a LED backlight in there. I had the idea of making one LED strip with no gaps between the LEDs out of two normal strips, but I do not know if the LED driver board would work with that much LEDs or could provide enough power to them.
Do you know a shop that has a LED strip with no gaps between the LEDs that I could buy?
I do not; they'd be difficult to assemble with no gaps to place them. Powering them is not the problem.

I don't know that gapless would be enough in fact; even the wide-angle LEDs still have lobed output pattern with the strongest light from one point in one direction. Just because there's no gap between the LED packages doesn't mean there's no gaps between the portions of the LEDs that are actually emitting the light.
el-sahef wrote: Image of the LEDs on the strip: http://abload.de/img/nahaufnahmensxiz.jpg (50,97 KB image)
Image of the LED Kit (one for 15,4", one for 15" where I glued the LED strip into a brass profile): http://abload.de/img/cimg2495rbxli.jpg (387,1 KB image)
Yeah, the usual xCCFL side-emitting strip. I don't know why they ship those in some kits but not others. They're always too small, they're hard to shim, and the emission color is rather too yellow for most of the screens for which xCCFL supplies them.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#19 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:41 pm

For the "LED-mods" that I did (BoeHydis HV150UX2-100 with LEDs ex-factory), I used these standard T60p inverters for UXGA screens:
- 42T0078 / 42T0079 or 41W1012 / 39T5658 (both made by Hitachi, also have marking INVC753)
- 13R1014 / 13R1015 (made by Sumida)
Even though these BoeHydis LEDs can take up to +29VDC, I only passed on the +5VDC that is available on those inverters.
These screens are superbright, even at 5V!
Maybe you should lower the voltage?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Qing Dao
Sophomore Member

#20 Post by Qing Dao » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:15 am

Could one use an LED power board from a T400 or a T500? I think maybe because the LED power boards and CCFL inverters are interchangeable on the aforementioned laptops.
Four 15" T61 Frankenpads collecting dust and one X62 that sees no use, but X201 and X230 in service.

C.Schlehaus
Freshman Member

#21 Post by C.Schlehaus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm

HI,
maybe this has already been discussed, but I did not find this up to now...
I'm also using a QXGA Panel and as direct modifications (replacing the CCFL by LED stripes) fail with light stripes as the LED are not a homogenous light source like a CCFL this is no Option.
How is this solved on the newer UXGA IPS Panels with LED backlight? Are these using different foils to distribute the LED light across the Screen?
Could the LED stripe and foils of the factory equipped LED UXGAs be used to mod a QXGA by replacing the CCFL and foils in the QXGA ID Tech?
(I'm aware of the dirt and dust issues of this complete modification but I might have a professional Display repair Center to do this for me)
Just some toughts...

xiphmont

#22 Post by xiphmont » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 pm

C.Schlehaus wrote:HI,
maybe this has already been discussed, but I did not find this up to now...
I'm also using a QXGA Panel and as direct modifications (replacing the CCFL by LED stripes) fail with light stripes as the LED are not a homogenous light source like a CCFL this is no Option.
How is this solved on the newer UXGA IPS Panels with LED backlight? Are these using different foils to distribute the LED light across the Screen?
Could the LED stripe and foils of the factory equipped LED UXGAs be used to mod a QXGA by replacing the CCFL and foils in the QXGA ID Tech?
(I'm aware of the dirt and dust issues of this complete modification but I might have a professional Display repair Center to do this for me)
Just some toughts...
It's more likely a difference in the large diffusion and prism sheets sitting over the waveguide. None of the panels I'm aware of have any kind of diffusion between the backlight and waveguide-- you want to inject as much light into the waveguide as directly as you possibly can!