Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

System Update systematic error

T60/T61 Series
Stilicho

System Update systematic error

#1 Post by Stilicho » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 am

Hi all

I have a much beloved Thinkpad T61 for a few years now.

Every time that I try to update my system, the process starts go up to 10% and then the following message shows:

An error occurred while gathering user information.

In years, with a single exception it has been the same thing and I was never able to update my system.

The exception did not conclude either because the server was busy and I was told to try again later... This seems to indicate that there is nothing wrong with the mentioned user information but the problem might be elsewhere

The laptop works well without any problem but I would like to update my system.

Anyone can suggest what I should do to correctly inform the server ?

All the best

Stilicho
IBM ThinkPad T23 2647 8MU
LENOVO ThinkPad T61 Type 7664-17U - 07-10

Johan
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: System Update systematic error

#2 Post by Johan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 am

First, I really don't think there's anything to benefit (for a T61) by using "System Update" (SU), since Lenovo are not - in my belief! - updating anything on such as old model as a T61; it's simply no longer being actively maintained with bug-fixes, new versions etc. Maybe Lenovo have been moving around drivers on their website etc. so that SU are no longer probing the correct place (or, in other words, your SU may be too old, and is not automatically being updated?). By the way, there are many people who have experienced the same error as you; see e.g. here.

Next, I've been using SU way back, but I was honestly never impressed with it; often I could manually find newer updates on Lenovo's driver-pages, compared to what SU would say was available!
Stilicho wrote:The laptop works well without any problem but I would like to update my system.
Third, (always!) and in relation to the above consider if updating is really necessary... especially keep in mind the old saying: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!" 8)

Fourth, Lenovo are in the process of gradually terminating their support of older systems; see e.g. the threads ThinkPad Drivers Snapshot: just in case Lenovo deletes them and Lenovo Driver Sweep. *LenovoSupport severely limited!* Maybe this is part of the explanation who you're having the difficulties with SU... Lenovo are no longer supporting "old" ThinkPad's with SU? [NB: I don't know if this is true or not, just offered as a possible explanation].

If you are nevertheless interested in finding out what are the newest drivers etc. for your T61, then I'd suggest that you manually check it out, by inspecting the current (= newest) drivers available from Lenovo; see Laptops and netbooks ThinkPad T Series laptops, ThinkPad T61 - Lenovo Support.

Johan
IBM T42p's (2373-Q1U & -Q2U): 2.1 GHz, 15" UXGA FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 128 MB FireGL T2, 128 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate
IBM T42 (2373-N1G): 1.8 GHz, 15" SXGA+ FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 64 MB Radeon 9600, 64 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:21 am

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Stilicho

#4 Post by Stilicho » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi guys:

Thank you very much for your replies.

After reading the posts I am no longer sure if I really want to update the system.

In fact nothing is really broken. I am in the process of loosing the hard drive to the bearings and my battery is gone years ago... (I am going to submit a post in Santa's Forum) :D But this has nothing to do with the system.

Anyway, I downloaded the Excel file, (just in case) because buying a new laptop at the moment is simply not an option.

Many thanks

All the best

Stilicho

Stilicho

#5 Post by Stilicho » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:33 am

Hi all

After some thinking I went to the net and did some research. Found a link that would update the ThinkVantage software and downloaded it and installed. (For my XP system version 3.16). When I went and clicked System Update and the problem was gone :D

It seems that the old version that came with the laptop (2007) was no longer working properly. 693 Mb of downloads !!! some of them fairly recent. Everything was downloaded and installed but at a certain point something went wrong, the T61 froze, I had to force a shutdown and now I have another problem that I am trying to solve. When I click on the Productivity Centre I get nothing but a message:

LPL 1 - An unsupported operation was attempted

So I keep fooling around, got the updates and another problem instead :roll:

I think its to keep me busy :(

All the best

Stilicho

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:57 am

My suggestion: uninstall Access Connections and let Windows manage your connections.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)