Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 doesn't go into standby lately

T60/T61 Series
Muse

T60 doesn't go into standby lately

#1 Post by Muse » Sat May 16, 2015 12:28 pm

I can't imagine why this machine's doing this now, I think I might have had this issue before, don't know what resolved it. I have in Power Options from WinXP's Control Panel set for the machine to sleep after 10 minutes. I use the machine for one purpose only which is to run scheduled recordings of audio from a USB sound card. Ordinarily, the machine comes out of standby to make the scheduled recording and shortly after that it returns to standby... fine. Suddenly, the last few days it keeps running after the recording, stays running. I went into Power Options today and changed the setting to 15 minutes, Apply, then back to 10 minutes, Apply. I scheduled a trial recording for 2 minutes and put the machine to sleep. At the appointed time the machine woke up, made the recording and again never went back into suspend. Why might it be doing this now and what might I do to make the machine again automatically go into suspend after it makes its automatic recordings?

Edit: BTW, the machine is configured to not require a password upon waking from standby.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

Muse

Re: T60 doesn't go into standby lately

#2 Post by Muse » Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 am

I found an image of the T60's HD and figured to restore it but got the idea first to uninstall the power manager, reinstall it and see if that fixes the problem. In Add/Remove Programs (this is XP), I only saw the driver, so I removed that and went to Lenovo's site and downloaded the T60 power manager and installed. I got a BSOD. I also got a couple of errors implicating power manager, seemingly background monitor or something like that. However, testing indicates that now the machine does not go back into suspend after a scheduled recording completes. No errors lately, will monitor the situation.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!