thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
Goodbye Lorita, wherever you've gone..

If you've found this forum useful, please consider donating a dollar or two

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:00 am 

Hello all,

Hypothetically speaking and all that... I'm wondering if anyone who knows what they are doing has gone to the trouble of putting in the tender loving and care to construct a T61/P Windows 7 ISO which is up to date with hotfixes etc?

Over on the RyanVM forum there was a wonderful job done by a Greek medical student who goes by the name Hakaz who build an unofficial XP Service Pack 4 oven an 18 month period during his spare time while he studied medicine (feeling dumb yet?). He had assistance of a number of security experts so they built the best XP ever which continues to pull updates from the POS version of Windows for the next couple of years. I'd love to see a T61 version of that as I don't have the skills or tallent to do it myself.

I know that he was also doing some stuff with Windows 7, but he finished up with that and it went offline before I had a chance to grab it. An up to date optimised for the hardware Windows would be a lovely thing to start with as base.

So my question is, are there any such constructions floating about?
Or perhaps someone feeling inspired to make a T61 specific version checked over to see there aren't any extra backdoors other than the ones placed by NSA, CIA, MI5, GCHQ, etc... ;-)

If there were to be such unicorns running around in the wild. Where would one be most likely to see such a creature?