Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Wascally Wabbit: Fingerprint reader playing hide n seek

T60/T61 Series
hellosailor

Wascally Wabbit: Fingerprint reader playing hide n seek

#1 Post by hellosailor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:50 am

Under Vista Ultimate fully patched (my bad) I can't seem to keep the fingerprint reader as the active default. When I suspend/sleep the system comes back awake asking me to enter my password or click for other credentials--and if I do, the fingerprint reader option is there and works. But it used to be THERE (i.e. on the awake/resume screen) all the time, next to the option to enter a password.

How can I get that wascally wabbit to stay on top all the time? I've tried both options (to let Windows power it down, and not) and neither seems to make a difference.

Wondering if this is collateral damage from one of the patches/driver updates, or intentional change from the way it shipped.

erik
Moderator-Emeritus
Moderator-Emeritus

#2 Post by erik » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:26 pm

have you tried swiping your finger on the "password only" login page?   it should accept your fingerprint regardless of which type of login you see; fingerprint only, password only, or both.   it works this way on all of my vista installations so it should work for you, too.
ThinkStation P700 | ThinkPad X1C7

hellosailor

#3 Post by hellosailor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Oh, D'UH! <G>

Thank you Erick, I would have never thought of that. But it works!

Now, why the display is different (doesn't show the fingerprint option) and what changed it....I know, there's no reason why the folks at Lenovo (or MS) should bother telling ME how to use the computer, I only own the darn thing.

Like the crew chiefs tell the pilots: "Sir, this is MY aircraft, I only let you fly it."

If you see a mushroom cloud in the western sky...don't worry, that'll just be my love letter to Lenovo. Or Microsoft. They're both just so DESERVING of it.<G>

And take the weekend off--you've earned it. I'll write you a note for the boss.<VBG>

erik
Moderator-Emeritus
Moderator-Emeritus

#4 Post by erik » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:18 pm

i don't know why the login screen occasionally changes like that but thankfully the fingerprint software works as intended no matter which login credential option(s) is(are) shown.   the anomaly could be due to how vista handles the FP software -- i dunno.

anyway, i'm glad that answered your question.   and, thanks, but there's no need for a note to my boss... he's a real jerk and i'll probably have to work this weekend no matter what.   i guess that's the breaks when you're self-employed. :lol:
ThinkStation P700 | ThinkPad X1C7

Return to “ThinkPad T60/T61 Series”