Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problems cloning a HD using Acronis Migrate Easy

T60/T61 Series
speedbump

Problems cloning a HD using Acronis Migrate Easy

#1 Post by speedbump » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:43 pm

T60p (7200,100 gigs), with a new SATA 7200 Hitachi Travelstar 200G in the ultrabay...

Using Acronis Migrate Easy

I've cloned the HD 3 times... when booting the new 'cloned' drive from either the Ultrabay, or normal drive location I get the following error

Microsoft Visual C++ Library
Runtime error!
Program

the application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way... Please contact the applications support team etc etc
Last edited by speedbump on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow.

T60p 20078DU, and T60 195144U... I went Dell, and came back to black.

runbuh

Re: Problems cloning a HD using Acronis Migrate Easy

#2 Post by runbuh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Have you tried moving your "source" drive to the UltraBay, then putting the "destination" (new) drive in the regular drive bay, and doing what they call a "reverse clone"?

speedbump

Re: Problems cloning a HD using Acronis Migrate Easy

#3 Post by speedbump » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:30 pm

runbuh wrote:Have you tried moving your "source" drive to the UltraBay, then putting the "destination" (new) drive in the regular drive bay, and doing what they call a "reverse clone"?
Ok I'll try that next... trying one more write after running CCleaner on the source... not sure what this will accomplish, because the 'source' boots fine... but it's a computer after all :-)

edit... swapped the drives. The new drive will not even boot into safe mode (either location)... I get to the PW logon, enter the correct PW and the safe boot loops back to enter the PW again. If I enter the wrong PW it tells me that it's wrong, so it's recognizing a wrong one, but not processing the correct one... Must be something to do with the security chip / finger print reader...

Note the old drive boots (full windows) from either location.

Anyone have any ideas... I'm going to try the "reverse write" mentioned above, however I don't have a lot of faith in that working...

Edit 2 The "reverse write" is a no go as well... same error!
Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow.

runbuh

#4 Post by runbuh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 am

Quick questions:

- How are you cloning the drive? Are you booting via a Migrate Easy CD? If not, you should be.

- Is your current (working) hard drive encrypted?

- Are you removing the current hard drive after the cloning before you boot the new drive? I don't *think* it will make a difference, but you never know.

- When you talk about the PW screen, are you talking about the Windows logon that you get when booting in to safe mode? If so, I don't think the fingerprint reader is coming in to play there. Also, if your machine is usually connecting to an Active Directory domain, you won't be able to use your AD credentials to log on. You'll need to use a local account (with admin access).

Regardless, cloning should just plain work. Clone from one drive to the other, slap the other in as the boot drive, and it should work. I just did that with Migrate Easy last weekend (using whatever the latest version is) on my T61p with Vista SP1 and with XP SP3 drives.

speedbump

#5 Post by speedbump » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Quick questions:

- How are you cloning the drive? Are you booting via a Migrate Easy CD? If not, you should be.

No... and this wouldn't be possible as the UltraBay has the new HD in it, so there is no way to boot from a CD. I'm following the windows based wizzard, however before cloning comences the computer reboots to a 'DOS like' screen for the actual copying sequence...

- Is your current (working) hard drive encrypted?

No

- Are you removing the current hard drive after the cloning before you boot the new drive? I don't *think* it will make a difference, but you never know.

No... I have been using F12 to set the desired boot drive.

- When you talk about the PW screen, are you talking about the Windows logon that you get when booting in to safe mode?

Yes... It seems to process the PW but loops back to the same PW required screen.... Booting from the 'source' drive the PW is accepted normally.

If so, I don't think the fingerprint reader is coming in to play there. Also, if your machine is usually connecting to an Active Directory domain, you won't be able to use your AD credentials to log on. You'll need to use a local account (with admin access).

Regardless, cloning should just plain work.

I wish :-( BTW the new drive post cloning is totally visable in W explorer, and it looks identical to the source, so it's copying ok, with the exception of not being able to boot.

Clone from one drive to the other, slap the other in as the boot drive, and it should work. I just did that with Migrate Easy last weekend (using whatever the latest version is) on my T61p with Vista SP1 and with XP SP3 drives.

XP Pro here

I'm going to try cloning with a desktop, connecting the two drives to it and cloning that way... This is what I've done in the past using Ghost...

runbuh

#6 Post by runbuh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:08 pm

Sorry for the obvious lack of thought about how you had things connected!

I would recommend that you get something to allow you to connect your current working hard drive to a USB port, putting your new drive in the main bay, and leave your DVD/CD-ROM drive in the UltraBay. Then boot from the Migrate Easy CD.

I use something like the one at the URL below. I cannot find the exact one I use, and it's at home, so I can't find out who made it. I boot from a Migrate Easy CD, and it finds the drive every time - no special drivers required:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited- ... d_sim_e_28

speedbump

#7 Post by speedbump » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Ok, I'll try attaching the two drives to a desktop first... I've done this before NP, albeit with Ghost not Acronis.... As usual something that should be extremely simple is taking a bunch of time :-(

I must be in the extreme minority here as I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem posting anywhere else on the net....

JPH
Freshman Member

#8 Post by JPH » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:55 pm

I don't know if my suggestion can help.

I cloned my HDD by putting the new drive in the laptop (not ultrabay). I put the original drive in a USB caddie and booted using the optical drive and a startup disc of Acronis TrueImage and selected the cloning option (USB caddie -> laptop location). Voila! No drama, no fuss, the new drive booted as it should with all the data/partitions nicely migrated ...
X230 2320-HQU... i7-3520M | 16GB Vengeance | mSATA Atlas 120GB| 500GB 7200 | IPS | BT4.0 | FPR | USB 3.0 | 720p cam | 9C

What happens when ThinkPads die after years of loyal service, do they go to heaven?

runbuh

#9 Post by runbuh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:02 pm

speedbump wrote:I must be in the extreme minority here as I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem posting anywhere else on the net....
You'll find other people here that have tried to clone without booting from a CD and have had problems (different problems, but the result was the same - no boot).

Also - here is the exact unit that I use. I really like it, but I spend a lot of time futzing with hard drives, so I hate actually putting them in an enclosure.

http://www.coolgear.com/productdetails1 ... 77,141,142

speedbump

#10 Post by speedbump » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:59 pm

Success!

Not exactly sure what fixed the problem however it's now cloned and working!

I low level formatted the new drive, did one more clone attempt using the source in the normal position, and the clone in the UltraBay... I ran the Migrate Easy wizzard (in windows)... when the cloning was complete and the computer shut down, I swapped the drives. It worked!!!... previously (most of the time I think) I'd attempted a boot from the clone by F12ing on start up and selecting the boot drive (with the source drive still in the computer, as Matt Kohut mentioned in his 'Inside the Box blog')... This time I removed the source before I tried a boot, and it worked :-)... I'd tried this before, but not after formatting... I think!

Now I see Adobe is sqawking about relicencing Acrobat (changed configuration)... crap here goes more time.

Thanks for the help guys... mucho appreciated.

Cheers,
SB