Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Cannot see my T60 in my local network

T60/T61 Series
kbushaw

#1 Post by kbushaw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:24 pm

I have a T60 and a Z61t with the latest Lenovo updates on them. Neither could be seen on my local network but could ping each other and see and access the other 3 computers on my local network using a wireless connection.

I found another topic here where someone was able to fix a similar problem by configuring Access Connections to not disable printer and file sharing. I instead unchecked the "Network Security" box that controls all three "disable" settings and the Z61t came online and visible and the T60 can access its shared directories. The same change does not allow the T60 to be visible. However, an Explorer search for network computer on the T60 finds itself. The same search from the Z61t does not find the T60. All machines are in Workgroup.

I have uninstalled Symantec Client Security on both machines and have disabled the XP firewalls for now. So, I have no anti-virus or firewall running on either laptop.

What might be the problem? Since this stuff does not work out of the box, I would think there should be a good XP Help topic for configuring PCs for local networks but I cannot find one in XP or Access Help. Does anyone know of one for T60 factory setup?

Thanks,
Ken

sircas

Referring: Wireless Network Connection Access since XP SP3

#2 Post by sircas » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:58 pm

I had the same issue when my automatic Update updated to SP3. Access would could not recognize Wirless Router Network!

Something about IBM Thinkpads w/SP3 upgrade. It did not do this with my Toshiba (wife) & HP Compaq (Daughter) when updated to SP3

You will need to disable the Thinkvantage Access portion and utilize WZC
(Wireless Zero Configuration)

Method 9: Verify Windows wireless zero configuration
If your notebook cannot make a connection to a wireless network, verify Windows wireless zero configuration. Use the following steps to verify Windows wireless zero configuration.
Click Start .
Click Run .
Type " services.msc " without the quotes.
Locate Wireless Zero Configuration.
Right click Wireless Zero Configuration .
Select Properties .
Under Startup type: select Automatic in not selected.
Under Service status: click Start .
Click OK .
Close Services.

Sircas
IBM ThinkPad T60 2.0GHz, 2GB, 100GB 14.1"
Toshiba Tecra M3-S336 1.9Ghz, 2GB, 80GB 14.1"

kbushaw

That sounds different than my problem

#3 Post by kbushaw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:58 pm

I have not tried your suggestion yet as it seems to be for a different problem so I want to add some more information.

My T60 is XP SP2 with the latest Windows and Lenovo updates and the Z61t is XP SP3 with latest Windows and Lenovo updates.

I am not having any problem accessing/connecting to my local network via either the wireless adapter or Ethernet adapter. And, from both I can access the internet and other PCs on my local network. I used the T60 and a wireless connection to open this topic and am replying while using the T60 and ethernet connected.

The problem is the T60 is not just not visible/accessible on the local network either to itself or other PCs. In other words, it acts exactly like a firewall blocking condition. But, everything I have checked says there is no active firewall on any connections.

I do not think either PC was ever visible on my local network before or after doing the latest updates. I had been using them a lot to access the internet but had not yet needed to access other PCs on my local network.

The "General" properties of the wireless and ethernet connections on the T60 and Z61t all have "Net Firewall Service" checked but the Z61t works and the T60 does not. I am not sure what checking or unchecking that option does.
Ken

sjthinkpader
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by sjthinkpader » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Removed
T60p 2623-DDU/UXGA IPS/ATI V5200
T60 2623-DCU/SXGA+ IPS/ATI X1400
T43p 2668-H8U/UXGA IPS/ATI V3200
R50p 1832-NU1/UXGA IPS/ATI FireGL T2
X61t 7762-B6U dual touch IPS/64GB SSD
X32 2673-BU6/32GB SSD
755CDV 9545-GBK Transmissive Projection LCD

kbushaw

What is removed?

#5 Post by kbushaw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:19 am

I do not understand what the "removed" post means.
Please enlighten me.
Ken

brsnyder
Freshman Member

#6 Post by brsnyder » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:32 pm

I can't quite tell if this is the same problem I am having. I have the T60 and a desktop. I have no problem accessing the desktop from the laptop. However, when I try to see the laptop from the desktop, I get an error that I don't have permissions and contact the administrator. I have set up several folders on the laptop to be shared, but still no go.

Ideas?

Thanks -- Barbara

kbushaw

#7 Post by kbushaw » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:02 am

I am using McAfee Security Suite (free from Comcast).
I still could not see my T60 on the network even after uninstalling
the factory version, installing the Comcast one,
and disabling WinXP's firewall.

I discovered things worked fine after going into the properties
of my wireless and LAN connections and unchecking
Net Firewall Service on the General tab.
I suspect that will work for you too.

BTW: McAfee tech support was no help at all.
They deny any knowledge of what XP's Net Firewall Services does
or any configuration needed to leave McAfee Security in control
of everything. Hard to believe.
Ken

brsnyder
Freshman Member

Re: Cannot see my T60 in my local network

#8 Post by brsnyder » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:45 pm

kbushaw wrote:I am using McAfee Security Suite (free from Comcast).
I still could not see my T60 on the network even after uninstalling
the factory version, installing the Comcast one,
and disabling WinXP's firewall.

I discovered things worked fine after going into the properties
of my wireless and LAN connections and unchecking
Net Firewall Service on the General tab.
I suspect that will work for you too.
Thanks. I looked for this. "Net Firewall" wasn't on either my wireless or LAN connection, althought the regular Windows firewall is enabled on the wireless connection. But that's true of all my machines. In fact, firewall isn't even enabled for the LAN connection, which is only used when I am connected to my company via VPN. Hmmmm.... maybe I need to set up this computer on a LAN or something.... I'll have to ponder that when I have more time.

-- Barbara

steveg47

#9 Post by steveg47 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 pm

Ken, Try the following. From MY Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View ... Uncheck the box that says "Use Simple file Sharing" (all the way at the bottom of the list).
X220(Win8.1pro)~T60p~X100e(Win8pro)~S10~X31~X40~T42~T43~560X~600X

kbushaw

#10 Post by kbushaw » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks... I had already done that too and should have mentioned that.
Ken

Nolonemo

#11 Post by Nolonemo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:46 pm

On my XP machines, I have "use simple file sharing" unchecked in with windows explorer Tools -> Folder Options -> View, so what I am about to say applies to that scenario.

Another machine that that does not have at least one drive/folder set up as a share will not show up in your workgroup, in my experience.
560, 560x, T23, T61

ArtShapiro

#12 Post by ArtShapiro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Take a look at the services (RUN SERVICES.MSC or right-click My Computer / Manage / Services and Applications / Services.

Make sure the "Computer Browser" service is running. Not terribly likely that it isn't, but being really trivial to check it is worth the 30 seconds.

Art