Could lay my hands on a 4 GB CF-Card (Transcend TS4GCF266) and a few adaptors to run speed tests. All adaptors look like these
1) Desktop, adaptor to 40-pin female IDE plugged directly into mainboard: over 40 MB/s sequential read, 33 MB/s write.
2) Desktop, adaptor to 40-pin male IDE on 80-ribbon-cable with or without HDD on same cable: System hangs repeatedly when reading. Does not work.
3) Desktop, same adaptor as in 2) (40-pin male IDE), SATA-PATA converter, connected to SATA on mainboard: over 40 MB/s sequential read, 33 MB/s write. The converter does not slow things down.
4) X41, CF-PCMCIA adaptor Panasonic BN-CFADPP3. Read/write is less than 400 kB/s. Not acceptable. Any suggestions on a good adaptor?
5) X41, ultrabase, ultrabay HDD adaptor, 44 pin CF to mini IDE adaptor (male): Does not work. No device recognized. Strange.
6) X41, same adaptor as in 5) instead of internal HDD. Did anyone else notice the HDD is mounted top down? Be careful connecting to the correct pins.
6a) Boot Linux from CD with CF in X41:
# hdparm -tT /dev/sda
Timing cached reads: 1554 MB in 2.00 seconds = 776.81 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 130 MB in 3.02 seconds = 42.98 MB/sec
# hdparm -I /dev/sda
ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: TRANSCEND
Serial Number: 0 20001473
Firmware Revision: 20070319
Likely used: 5
Logical max current
cylinders 7899 7899
heads 16 16
sectors/track 63 63
CHS current addressable sectors: 7962192
LBA user addressable sectors: 7962192
device size with M = 1024*1024: 3887 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 4076 MBytes (4 GB)
LBA, IORDY(may be)(cannot be disabled)
Standby timer values: spec'd by Vendor
R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 1 Current = 0
Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0000)
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Power Management feature set
CFA feature set
Advanced Power Management feature set
HW reset results:
CBLID- below Vih
Device num = 0
Integrity word not set (found 0x0000, expected 0x0fa5)
6b) Clean install XP on the CF-card.
Takes about 40 minutes including SP2. Without updates, drivers or virtual memory the OS occupies slightly less than 1 GB.
Time from shutdown command to power off is 12 seconds.
Next: Purchase the 8 GB card from the same series (Transcend TS8GCF266) to migrate for real. I'll keep you updated.