Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Screen Swapping/Modding General Questions

Want to know HOW TO..? Have a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION..?
If you can't find it here, tell us and we'll publish whatever you need
cc2f

Screen Swapping/Modding General Questions

#1 Post by cc2f » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:08 pm

Hello,
I'm interested in screen modding/swapping in general and I had a few questions:

How do people find alternative LCD panels of a given size?

Is there a central source of information for:
  • The panels inside a given laptop (not just Thinkpads, the ThinkWiki TFT page is lacking information for newer models)
  • Their specifications (including physical dimensions, connector type/position)
  • Any other information needed to match a panel to a laptop
Where are the pinouts listed for the panels and Thinkpad components if I wanted to do a CCFL<->LED conversion?

Just out of curiousity, can touch screens be used in non-tablet hardware, assuming they physically fit?

Thank you.

systemBuilder
Sophomore Member

Re: Screen Swapping/Modding General Questions

#2 Post by systemBuilder » Mon May 06, 2013 2:25 am

www.panelook.com

You can get the part numbers of the screens offered with your original laptop from the Thinkpad Repair Manual for your particular machine. Then, from those panel manufacturer parts numbers, you can find panels with similar interface pins using panelook.com. The panel look website is a wholesaler database of just about every panel that has ever been made. It include critical specs like nits and contrast ratios for most panels, and for some it has scans of the original spec sheets.

I spend most of my time in the T4x forums and we have many postings that list all the historically compatible panels for the T4x machines, depending upon 14.1" or 15" display size, resolution, etc. Using the repair manual, you can also tell if you'll need a special LCD Inverter or whether you can reuse the one you already have. Generally, if you are keeping the same resolution display, you can keep the same inverter card.
=======================
Lots of thinkpads (10+) but I would never be so stupid as to list them all because that would spam everybody's searches and people who *do* try to list them all would be jerks.