Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Faulty Authetec Fingerprint sensor

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
circuitmonkey

Faulty Authetec Fingerprint sensor

#1 Post by circuitmonkey » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:52 am

Hi, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what should be my next step.

I've had my Lenovo 3000 N100 since December 06 and on the whole I'm very happy with it. The only annoyance is that the built in fingerprint sensor stopped working after 2 months, which wouldn't normally bother me (sure it’s a nice gimmick, but i can probably type my password faster then waiting for the software to get the job done) but I’m currently doing a postgraduate project involving various biometrics and wanted to use the sensor to collect samples.

This interesting thing is that since I’ve upgraded to Vista the sensor is recognised by the system again, I’ve installed the latest drivers, and omnipass software, but am still not able to use it to collect a print!

I have in the past contact Lenovo with this problem but they blamed it on the software and said there wasn't anything they could do about it?

Should I be more persistent, or take matters in my own hands and try to fix/replace the sensor myself?

truk

Fingerprint sensor

#2 Post by truk » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:01 pm

I'd get a little more pushy with Lenovo. If it's a software issue than why would it work on some laptops and not others? I know the XP support is missing (I'm sure they still charged extra for the useless feature,) as I've been trying to get it working on my friends laptop since he got it last spring. Lenovo needs to be more responsible with their customers, or they're not gonna have any. The customer is always right, so don't let them push you around.
http://www.truk.tk - 'Cause you've got nothing better to do.
RIP t30 2367-au5 October '07
t400 2764-CTO
7/OSX/Ubuntu
2.8GHz core 2 duo
4g DDR3
320g@5400rpm+160g@7200RPM
Led backlit and all the goodies

Return to “Non-ThinkPad Lenovo Laptops”