Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X200 screen removal

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
bf7244

X200 screen removal

#1 Post by bf7244 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:05 am

I recently bought a HV121WX4-120 screen for my x200 and I need help installing it. I have download the hardware maintenance manual but it doesn't really explain much and I can't find a good video on YouTube.

I have removed the bezel and I'm guessing the next step is to unplug the inverter card and then unscrew the old lcd. After that can I simply lay the lcd facedown where the keyboard is and unhook the lcd cable or do I have to remove the cable completely? I'm assuming the next step is to remove the brackets from the old lcd and install them on the new screen then plug everything back in? Did I miss anything or does this sound correct?

Also, how can I remove or unhook the microphone? I can't find any information online about removing and replacing it. I would think it simply unplugs but I'm not sure and don't want to damage anything without asking here first.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

bf7244

Re: X200 screen removal

#2 Post by bf7244 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Can anyone help?

bf7244

#3 Post by bf7244 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:14 am

If anyone else happens to run across this on Google or a different search engine the hardware maintenance manual will be your best friend. I eventually started tearing my x200 apart last night and here's what I did to get my screen off.

Remove lcd bezel

Move antenna wires away from the hinges that overlap the lcd frame

Undo the little thing connected to the left screen frame that is part of the inverter cable

Unscrew and undo the web cam and think light

Unscrew and undo the inverter card, also unhook the lcd from the inverter card

Unscrew the inverter cable from the bottom half of computer

Pull up keyboard bezel and slide out the inverter cable

Unscrew lcd from the top shell and it should be completely free from everything now

I left everything plugged in to the inverter cable because it's easier for me to mess with but for others it might be easier to unhook everything

Undo all the tape on back side of lcd and unhook the inverter cable. I also trimmed up all the excess tape.

Remove frames from old lcd and install them on the new lcd

Plug in and retape the inverter cable on new lcd and reinstall the little thing on left side of lcd frame that's part of the inverter cable.

Reinstall lcd into the top part of the shell and hook up and install everything that was removed

Finally turn computer on and test out the new screen!

bf7244

#4 Post by bf7244 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:22 am

Also, the microphone is built into the inverter card so it can't be removed or unhooked. I haven't really found a good way to disable it other than sticking a safety pin into it or possibly dripping glue or something into the tiny hole. I have thought about cutting it off with a pair of snips but I'm not sure if that will disable the whole inverter card.