Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad X201 Bluetooth

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
blackpad

Thinkpad X201 Bluetooth

#1 Post by blackpad » Wed May 01, 2019 3:53 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, spent sometime looking for information- couldn't find it. Thought, I could drop a post asking you experts here !

My workhorse, X201 has a Bluetooth module installed behind the screen panel, But doesn't show up in device manager or tried BIOS I/O settings = which doesn't show up Bluetooth option to enable/disable. The Bluetooth light comes up when booting, the access connections dont show Bluetooth options.

Is it my laptop came with the Bluetooth hardware that could have stopped working over non regular use?

Any help to understand this better from the experts !

I am on a Win 7 /32 pro / i5@ 2.53GHz / 4GB Ram / Bios version: 6QET47WW / Motherboard : 32492EU

Screamer

Re: Thinkpad X201 Bluetooth

#2 Post by Screamer » Tue May 07, 2019 4:33 am

A non-functional Bluetooth module could be the problem, but it is quite rare to see a Bluetooth module failing.

Have you tried reseating the module? Also, your BIOS version seems to be out of date. Could you try updating it?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#3 Post by ajkula66 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Try installing Power Manager (both the driver and the utility itself) and then Access Connections. Once all of that is up, pressing Fn+F5 should bring the wireless/BT screen and give you the choice of turning these devices on or off.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

blackpad

#4 Post by blackpad » Sat May 18, 2019 5:00 am

Hi Screamer & ajkula66

Thanks for your inputs in helping me troubleshoot this. I tried both - Updated bios successfully from 6QET47WW (1.17) TO 6QET70WW (1.40) using the bios update utility.exe from lenovo support- Surprisingly I still dont see the Bluetooth option in Bios I/o menu to turn on or off.

Installed the power manager driver , then the power manager utility followed by access connection > fn+F5 brings up the app showing only wireless radio on/off - no bluetooth option to control.

Opened the lid & used rubbing alcohol with a qtip to clean the existing module n its connector, reseated it after disconnecting/reconnecting to engage proper connection if dust present. I also purchased a new daughter module 60Y3271 to try in the BT slot to check if it would pick up, but no success yet.

As stated earlier, the BT light turns on when startup lights flash sequentially but not detecting BT hardware for some reason in Device manager. Not sure if its Windows 7 or the BT cable in the screen that could have fried for some reason.

Any additional suggestions appreciated! I am eager to try that out.

Thanks Much

johnmcdonnell

#5 Post by johnmcdonnell » Sun May 19, 2019 5:43 pm

I still dont see the Bluetooth option in Bios I/o menu to turn on or off
What devices are showing in the BIOS menu under Security > I/O Port Access?

blackpad

#6 Post by blackpad » Sun May 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi John

I see the following on i/o options : All enabled

Ethernet Lan
Wireless Lan
Wimax
Modem
USB port
Express card slot
Ultrabay HDD
Memory card slot
Microphone
Finger print reader

No Bluetooth shown

Would installing an Intel 7260 Wireless & Bluetooth help me get bt up n running ?

johnmcdonnell

#7 Post by johnmcdonnell » Sun May 19, 2019 8:35 pm

It's strange that Bluetooth isn't showing at all in the BIOS I/O Port Access menu. That entry usually appears whether or not the system detects the presence of the Bluetooth daughtercard.

You could potentially get Bluetooth working with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Plus Bluetooth 4.0 card, but you would need to install a modified BIOS to remove the WiFi whitelist check. The modified BIOS for the X201 is available here. You might also need to cut or tape over pin 51 as described here.

Another thing you might try is to boot from a live Linux USB and see if Bluetooth shows up. That would help determine whether this is just some kind of Windows issue.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#8 Post by ajkula66 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:51 pm

johnmcdonnell wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Another thing you might try is to boot from a live Linux USB and see if Bluetooth shows up. That would help determine whether this is just some kind of Windows issue.
+ 1 on this recommendation.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

blackpad

#9 Post by blackpad » Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 am

Hi johnmcdonnell & ajkula66

Really appreciate your help so far in helping me resolve the BT on X201.

I've installed the Intel dual band 7260 card after using the mod bios in your link. I din't have to use the pin taping/cutting method for it to work, The wifi is up n running now, but BT still not working. I tried Linux to which does connect with BT - tried with a phone and wireless hf's ( both work well ).

Somehow, just not connecting in Win 7. However, I still do not see BT option in Bios under I/O settings.

I'm sharing my screenshot of Device Mgr for assistance, any thoughts on what could be going wrong ?

Image / https://imgur.com/lBCgoQs

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed May 29, 2019 3:51 am

Instead of 7260-N there is a faster card: 7260-AC.
I suggest you uninstall all Bluetooth instances from the Device Manager, then check Actions/Scan for hardware changes.
It might pick up the 'real' Bluetooth.
If not, do it again, but now tell it to also delete drivers.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

FryPpy

#11 Post by FryPpy » Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 am

blackpad wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 am
I'm sharing my screenshot of Device Mgr for assistance, any thoughts on what could be going wrong ?
If i understand right you have Bluetooth device.
"Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)" is it.
Check if Bluetooth icon is near clock on taskbar in notification area.

Normally Bluetooth is USB device. In linux you can see USB devices with lsusb command. In windows you can switch to "devices by connection" view and search devices connected to USB controllers.

bumbum

#12 Post by bumbum » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:21 am

It looks like a driver issue, I couldn't see it in the Fn+F5 menu either until I installed the proper driver. Go to device manager click "view" and then check "hidden devices" your bluetooth module should show up there. You can try and update the driver via the folder that the bluetooth driver installed to.

anali

#13 Post by anali » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:46 pm

I have this issue once long time ago it's something like the driver is not installed because I use a different window version where the bluetooth driver is not included so I manually downloaded it on the site. You can check it if your bt is installed at the device manager hope it helps.

vmv64k

#14 Post by vmv64k » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:10 pm

Sorry to revive this old topic but maybe it will help others.
I had a similar problem where bluetooth was not detected by Windows 7. Instead it was seen by the bios. After many attempts in Windows to detect bluetooth, I remembered that I had previously played with a few linux distributions on X201. Somehow the linux utility to control the bluetooth with caused the module not to load on startup after passing the initial test when you can also access the bios.
Long story short I reactivated the bluetooth in Windows 7 and managed to install the driver too using a live CD with Linux Mint and from the utility I just deactivated it and then reactivated it, after which I restarted the laptop in Windows and it worked.