Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X230 Precision Touchpad

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

X230 Precision Touchpad

#1 Post by TPFanatic » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:25 pm

So when I upgrade my classic thinkpads to Windows 10 I like to force-install the P71's ultranav driver because it restores the toggles for Middle Click vs Scroll and Trackpoint Light vs Heavy feel, which for no good reason is decontented from the official Synaptics driver for the golden oldies. As P71 is equipped with a Precision Touchpad (P70 is not) the driver usually breaks the functionality of the regular Synaptics touchpad and it should be disabled, as has been my experience using this driver on T430 and W530.

(Alternatively one could physically disconnect the touchpad and use the X200's Trackpoint driver, which is not missing toggles in Windows 10)

With X230 the result is different. The clickpad remains usable but also gains all the Windows Precision Touchpad features like pinch zoom, three finger swipes, two finger tap for right click, et cetera. Dare I say the clickpad actually feels more usable now than I ever found it before on Windows 7.

This is the P71 driver I use for Windows 10 64 bit: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n23gz21w.exe

Long live the X230.