thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
Goodbye Lorita, wherever you've gone..

If you've found this forum useful, please consider donating a dollar or two

It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:02 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 am 

Hello Thinkpad forum!

I've been meaning to sign up for a while, being a collector and user of ThinkPads for several years so far. I've read the forums a lot, but never needed to post.

Anyway, I just purchased a T400s from eBay -- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332193657234? ... EBIDX%3AIT

It seemed like a good deal. I just wanted to see if I'm right in my assumptions before we go further. The T400s doesn't seem very popular and I can't find much information.
In this case, it is missing the hard drive, which I believe is a 1.8" drive. One concern is this; does the ultrabay SATA drive caddy from a T500 work with this? I might be able to get around buying an expensive 1.8" drive if it does (and can be booted from in the ultrabay).

Second, is the seized fan; I may end up buying a new one and before that I'll almost certainly have a go at fixing it, checking whether it is properly connected and/or cleaned -- are there any other things which may cause stuck fan behavior and/or Fan Error with a T400s?

Thirdly, the supervisor password. I'm not sure which type as the listing isn't completely clear about it. Am I correct in saying that this series i.e. earlier, non-UEFI ThinkPads, can have their EEPROM corrupted/reset with regards to supervisor passwords? Can it be done on this model? I'm fairly sure it can but any other information would be great. I completely understand if this is a verboten topic, but I'd hazard that this isn't a stolen machine given the seller and age -- just one of many that was sold off in bulk by some business refreshing their lines I'd imagine.

So there we have it -- it should be here tomorrow and I'll report back with what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 am 
Admin
Admin

Welcome to the Forum.

Instead of 1.8" HDD, see this: viewtopic.php?p=793689#p793689
If the fan has seized, you'll need to replace it.
Download the T400s Manual from the HMM link above to read about passwords, page 39 onwards.
Also check in BIOS/Security/Password section if Passphrase is enabled.

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
And don't forget the Motherboards! Refreshing webpages is advised!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:21 am 

[link removed]
not sure if the above site is banned here (it is!)

I like my T400s, its the only one I've ever seen and the only one I've ever seen for sale. Good luck with spares, some arent easy to find.

The HDD situation is trival, the fan is bearable to replace, the password? Hmmm.