Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SDHC card reader doesn't work

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
lookingatlenovo

SDHC card reader doesn't work

#1 Post by lookingatlenovo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Whenever I put my SDHC card in the card reader, it doesn't show up under My Computer. I always have to go to the device manager and click on the reader itself to see its properties. Doing so seems to "wake up" the reader. I am on a W520 and using Windows 7.

Is there a known fix?

lookingatlenovo

Re: SDHC card reader doesn't work

#2 Post by lookingatlenovo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Here is another, very annoying aspect to this problem. If I put the little card in, then open My Computer, the little green bar up at the top just keeps loading and updating forever and never displays even my hard drive! What the hell is this?

Please help!

QFoam
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by QFoam » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Look in the Power Manager for energy saving settings that turn off the card reader. Do so in whatever power mode you're in when the problem occurs. You can change and then save those settings to avoid the need to wake the reader.

You may additionally have a corruption problem with the card, which would explain the never-ending green bar. If you've been using the card to take pictures with a camera, for instance, put the card in the camera, attach a USB cable from the computer to the camera, and try to transfer all the files on the card to the computer. If successful, then use the camera to reformat the card. That may solve the problem.

It's usually a good idea to use the camera to reformat the card each time you delete all the images from the card. Also, I avoid deleting or adding files on the card from the computer, which seems to cause corruption of the card in some cases.

I don't work for Lenovo, I don't have a W520, and you now know everything I know about the issue. Good luck!
W700 T9600 @2.8GHz Vista64
8GBram 2GBTurbo 160GB+320GB @7.2k
17" 1920x1200 QuadroFX 3700M/1GB
Blu-ray Ultrabay
ThinkPad W700 Resources Page

heron

#4 Post by heron » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Integrated Smart Card Reader -> Properties -> Power Management -> Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power (clear checkbox)

lookingatlenovo

#5 Post by lookingatlenovo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 pm

heron,

Where is Integrated Smart Card Reader?????

This is still happening and I hate it.

Thanks.

jesgal

#6 Post by jesgal » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:13 pm

This is happening to me, I purchased a Thinkpad T430 from a used PC store, aka PC Pawn Shop. I went into Device Manager, opened Drives and selected properties of the SD drive. The E: drive for the SD card reader appeared. I can't find any power management for the SD drive, any thoughts?

I will post back if I find it. Thanks!

jcvjcvjcvjcv

#7 Post by jcvjcvjcvjcv » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:03 am

heron wrote:Integrated Smart Card Reader -> Properties -> Power Management -> Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power (clear checkbox)
That has nothing to do with the SDHC card reader.

In Device manager, look at properties - driver for the Ricoh Card reader. What versions does it say? I have Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385 from 21-6-2006 (lol!) and my W520 works perfectly fine.
W520
T61