Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo W520 RAID 0 - Procedures

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
KGart0n

Lenovo W520 RAID 0 - Procedures

#1 Post by KGart0n » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:42 pm

I have a W520 Thinkpad (4270) With RAID and 2 - 500GB Drives Striped RAID 0.
Because of a Bad USB Port Lenovo is having the Tech replace the System Board which I think has the RAID Controller.
If this were a Server I could Read Configuration from the Drives, but the W520 does not seem to have that option.
Does anyone know if the RAID card is in fact on the System Planar Board? Will it automatically read the config from the drives?
I'm pretty sure if I create an array it will initialize the drives and erase everything. Hopefully the new board will have the latest BIOS Rev, but I'm not holding my breath. The first Tech they sent had wrong Part Number Board and new nothing about RAID. Calling Lenovo Support for a procedure was no help they stated that RAID Configuration and would require Paid Support.
So is there anyone with experience that can how to get the new RAID Card to read my configuration so I don't have to reload OS?

Of the subject a little, If I have to reload, Has anyone tried the Seagate 750GB Hybrid Drive's More Space 1.5TB !!! Wow, but I'm curious as to whether I'd get a performance boost and if it would be very noticeable.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Re: Lenovo W520 RAID 0 - Procedures

#2 Post by jcvjcvjcvjcv » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Intel RAID to same or newer Intel RAID controller recognizes arrays instantly.

For a much bigger performance gain you should get an SSD. You can even combine the RAID array with an SSD; get an mSata SSD for that.
W520
T61