Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W510 - Hard-drive issues. Worthless customer service!!!

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
bmrepete

W510 - Hard-drive issues. Worthless customer service!!!

#1 Post by bmrepete » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:11 pm

I bought my w510 when it first came out at the beginning of the year. So far I have really enjoyed it, and it has seemed to be a sturdy machine. However about a week and a half ago it started getting bogged down, and numerous force-restarts and blue screens have occurred. It runs OK about 50% of the time but the other 50% pretty much every program fails to respond. I cant even open folders. I ran the diagnostic from the ThinkVantage toolbox and the hard-drive failed the Smart Short Self Test. I'm no computer guru but from what I have garnered this means impending failure for the hard-drive.

I have attempted in vain to contact Lenovo about this. This is by far the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I have yet to talk to Lenovo about this, However, I have talked to a couple "warranty service providers" in the area but apparently I failed to sign up for depot on my extended warranty and they insist on sending out technicians, where I am charged for the travel. This is f'n ridiculous. Am I doing something wrong? How does one go about getting a Lenovo fixed? The Lenovo service number, 1-800-426-7378, is a complete joke. Has anyone been able to actually talk to a person?

I am at wit's end, and I am not about to pay someone $250 just to drive to my residence and tell me my hard-drive is going bad. I am about to replace the darn myself. Can anyone recommend a good hard-drive? and replacement procedure?

This event has completely soured me on Lenovo. I am a broke engineering student and I spent a large chunk of change on this computer. I need it to work, I dont have time to jump through countless hoops just to replace a hard-drive.

ausmike

Re: W510 - Hard-drive issues. Worthless customer service!!!

#2 Post by ausmike » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:34 pm

hi Bm*...
Sorry to hear about your W Series machine is having issues now.

Firstly , you can check you WARRANTY STATUS vis this weblink below:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... -WARNTY#sw
The MODEL & SERIAL #'s are at bottom of laptop.
The weblink will give you dates and TYPE of warranty etc.

If you do have warranty, then you can call = !800 IBM SERV (and press 1 , 1 ,1 ) and you should get HARDWARE SUPPORT for Thinkpads. AFAIK- tech support are pretty good if you have already found a fault with TVT apps and they should send you a replacement Hard Drive - generally get it next day ..... cannot comment on how 'smart' some of the teckies are at that support center > but I am aware of lots of ppls frustrations like you.

However in case you are out of warranty - you might want to get one of these ....
I have had that model in my 2- W Series machine from day 1 (and I preserved my factory had drive on shelf) > not have had any failures in last 7+ yrs of using Hit. Drives
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822145361
(if you lucky you can get it for $59 with Promo Code & free ship)

Hope this helps
cheers
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by ThinkRob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Is the machine under warranty? If not then that certainly explains their response.

If you're out of warranty, the cheapest fix is simply to replace the drive yourself. It'll take about 5 minutes. IMHO it isn't worth extending the warranty just for a drive replacement.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

bmrepete

#4 Post by bmrepete » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:09 pm

I finally got through on the 1800 IBM SERV number. Thank you! They are shipping me a hard-drive and a recovery disk. I suppose my rant was a by-product of school stress and my beloved Thinkpad dying.

ausmike

#5 Post by ausmike » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:22 pm

bm*...
Glad you got things sorted! Yips number I gave you and options DO WORK!

Pm me if you need tips and help with installs.......cant promise to reply instantly, but do my best

Cheers...
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by JaneL » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:47 pm

bmrepete wrote:I finally got through on the 1800 IBM SERV number.
I just want to point out that 800.IBM.SERV is 800.426.7378 on the phone dial. You were calling the same phone number both times.

I also called yesterday morning to get a keyboard replacement for my X301. Other than the tedious phone tree, it was an uneventful call. There was minimal wait time, the customer service rep was polite and entertaining (he was so cute - he wanted to know if I thought I could replace the keyboard myself! I said I might could just manage it...) and the replacement keyboard hit my porch this morning. I'm typing on it now.

Just one mouse's experience...
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by ThinkRob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:32 pm

JaneL wrote: I just want to point out that 800.IBM.SERV is 800.426.7378 on the phone dial. You were calling the same phone number both times.
Awwww... you told em! Darn placebo-ruiner... ;)

Kidding aside, my (limited) experience with Lenovo and IBM's warranty processes have been that it's dead-simple if you simply call up and (clearly, professionally) state your machine model, serial number, and say "I'd like to request a replacement part, FRU #______. If I'm not mistaken, that's a CRU, so can you please ship the replacement to me so that I can swap it with the faulty part?". Of course that requires you to identify the problem and the correct part -- but if you can, simply requesting the part directly (if it's a CRU) seems to result in brief, effective calls with a replacement on your doorstep not long after.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by JaneL » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 pm

ThinkRob wrote:Awwww... you told em! Darn placebo-ruiner... ;)
Mwaa-ha-ha-ha... :jhem:
Kidding aside, my (limited) experience with Lenovo and IBM's warranty processes have been that it's dead-simple if you simply call up and (clearly, professionally) state your machine model, serial number, and say "I'd like to request a replacement part, FRU #______.
Same here except that yesterday I didn't even have to give him the part number or CRU patter - he was all sympathy from the get-go. Sometimes I wonder if people actually speak to the customer service reps the same way they relate their tales of woe here in the forums and blogs. There's a person on the other end of that line, and while bad customer service is not acceptable, I can almost understand the reps giving short shrift to someone who treats them like dogs. Courtesy tends to beget courtesy.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Mark@Lenovo
ThinkPad Partner
ThinkPad Partner

#9 Post by Mark@Lenovo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:57 pm

bmrepete,

Sorry to hear that you have had bluescreens and frustrations with your W510.

I am glad to hear that you ran the diagnostics and they indicated the drive was a problem.. it's good to know the diags were helpful. What was the error code that the diagnostics generated?

I also note you say you had trouble connecting with support via 800-426-7378. What was the trouble? Difficulty selecting the right choices from the VRU? Hold time? Difficulty with an agent? Could you tell us a bit more?

You continue to note the depot vs onsite. Depot warranty is the default, so that should always be an option for you even if you have upgraded to onsite. Hard disks can also be sent as a CRU or customer installable part, so you don't have to have a tech come out, and you don't have to send the unit in if you want to swap the drive yourself.

I believe that if you call 800-426-7378 and explain your symptoms, that you have run the diags and have the error code, that support will facilitate the replacement - either offering to send you the part, or arranging service through depot or onsite depending on the type of warranty your system is presently entitled to.

The hardware maintenance manual for your system can guide you through replacing the HDD if you wanted to do that yourself.

Here is the link.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-74250

underclocker

#10 Post by underclocker » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Maybe you misdialed the number and some disreputable business has purchased numbers close to Lenovo's support number to seize on these opportunities :eek: ?

Your experience really can't be explained any other way. Glad everything is back on track.

(Perhaps you should consider renaming the title of this thread, assuming it is inaccurate and you're happy with the resolution.)
T510, i7-620m, NVidia, HD+, 8GB, 512GB Intel 545s SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Home
T400s, C2D SP9400, Intel 4500MHD, WXGA+, 8GB, 160GB Intel X18-M G2 SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Travel
Edge 14 i5-540m, Intel HD Graphics, HD, 8GB, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 SSD, Webcam, BT, red cover Music

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by ThinkRob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:22 pm

JaneL wrote:Sometimes I wonder if people actually speak to the customer service reps the same way they relate their tales of woe here in the forums and blogs. There's a person on the other end of that line, and while bad customer service is not acceptable, I can almost understand the reps giving short shrift to someone who treats them like dogs. Courtesy tends to beget courtesy.
I often wonder the same. True, I have on occasion been short with some CSRs, but I never *start* a call that way; the only times I've been curt or aggressive have been after extended conversations, usually involving inappropriate assumptions or assertions...

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#12 Post by Harryc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:24 pm

I'd be glad to change the title if the OP agrees. After all, how many companies would have their top customer advocate reply to a thread on the internet?. I really think Lenovo service is tops if you give it a chance and are reasonable and patient. Cool your jets, take a deep breath, it will be OK. Trust Dr. Harryc :)

ausmike

#13 Post by ausmike » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 am

Giday Everyone...
I for one , have been using Lenovo/IBM Tech Support for 10+ yrs and on average they been pretty good overall

..having said (above) I would however add....LEVEL ONE @Atlanta = simply put = terrible! and thats in my view being fair to both sides. YES as JANE so rightly noted that - "Courtesy tends to beget courtesy ". Point I made earlier is that when I USER CALLS with a Non-Functional laptop/PC - he /she is already in a no so nice mood....am sure everyone has self experianced that! ,,,,,AND having an 'unexperianced support person - only makes matters more difficult. I do agree - politeness alwys wins!

...For MARK@Lenovo;
LEVEL ONE > Atlanta when compared with - say Singapore or melbourne or Europe , said to say = way way below the rest of them. Sad part is - its going downwards everytime I have called there. Since I travel a lot (3million mile club member) its my good fortune that i ONLY USE THINKPAD during my travels and they DONT HAVE too many HW failures - and defiantly Lenovo is far better Support than most other laptop mfg;ers out there!

Cheers
ps sorry for typos - bloody cold in frozen Churchill Canada

stuartf
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by stuartf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:45 am

I have had universally good service on my now end of life T43, have had it under warranty for all of its nearly 5 year stay with me. I did have one occasion when I had diagnosed the problem and the rep suggested all sorts of diagnostics to verify (sorry that I cannot recall the specifics.) I am always very polite and direct and as the rep suggested what I knew to be a dog chasing his tail scenario I politely ended the call and called back five minutes later. This time the rep saw it as I did, sent the part and all was good.

As I am approaching an update purchase, Lenovo service looms large as tipping the balance its way for the new machine. I am helped that I spend half the year in China and can walk in to the local service outlet and get fixed up very quickly.

stuartf
T23, X32 (2672-A43), T43 (2687D4U)