Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Z61t: issues with Hotkeys & OSD

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
oskidbear
Freshman Member

Z61t: issues with Hotkeys & OSD

#1 Post by oskidbear » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Hello,

I just received a Z61t from my brother (running Win7 Ultimate x64) & am having a bear of a time with the Hotkeys & OSD:

* I cannot install the latest Hotkeys On Screen Display driver. Each time I attempt the installation, I receive a message stating the driver can't copy a file (example: shtctky.dll) to the destination folder.

I'm using the OSD file (version 6.73.01) from 8jvu43ww.exe (version 3.89.100 of the Hotkeys Feature Integration file).

* Using the dedicated volume keys adjusts the volume up/down, but when I click the speaker icon in the taskbar, it still shows the volume at 50%. Is this a driver issue? Do I need to configure the hardware in a specific manner?

Any tips on the above would be helpful. Thank you. Happy New Year to everyone.

Thanks for the bandwidth,
Cyrus

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Z61t: issues with Hotkeys & OSD

#2 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:29 pm

I recently did a reinstall for an X201T that I am selling and the latest Hotkeys program from Lenovo was not invoking the OSD. What helped me was this thread http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=115047

If you get it working please fill us in on what worked. Good luck!
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

oskidbear
Freshman Member

Re: Z61t: issues with Hotkeys & OSD

#3 Post by oskidbear » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:26 am

emeraldgirl08 wrote:I recently did a reinstall for an X201T that I am selling and the latest Hotkeys program from Lenovo was not invoking the OSD. What helped me was this thread http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=115047

If you get it working please fill us in on what worked. Good luck!
Hello emeraldgirl08,

I finally got this resolved! While I'm not running the latest version of the OSD (updated to 3.87 of the Hotkeys package), it's better than having none.

First step: enable all components in BIOS.

To reduce the system resources used, I had previously disabled the modem & IR receiver in BIOS. I went back into the BIOS & re-enabled these components as I figured I had nothing to lose by doing this.

Second step: install an older version of the Hotkeys package per the above thread.

Once I enabled the missing components, installation of the Hotkeys package completed without a hitch.

Final step: Update the Hotkeys program with each subsequent release until the OSD fails to initialize at start up.

I noticed that when the OSD worked, upon boot up, the display brightness OSD would always appear.

After a bit of trial & error, I was able to update the Hotkeys applications all the way through package 8jvu39ww (package version 3.87, see the version listing for each utility at http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS014985).

One thing I haven't yet tried is to use the latest Hotkeys patch on the Lenovo Support website to see if it will enable proper functioning of the OSD utility in the latest version of the Hotkeys package. At this point, I'll likely leave things as-is & move on to replacing cracked plastics.

Thank you again for your help. Have a Happy New Year!

Cyrus