Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Z61t - can i upgrade the internal modem card to the latest

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
HarryWild
Sophomore Member

Z61t - can i upgrade the internal modem card to the latest

#1 Post by HarryWild » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:33 pm

generation what ever that is? And how hard is it to do? Where can I buy the modem upgrade and is it worth upgrade now or should I wait a year or two?

Plus what is the little pushbutton on the front edge side use for?

Thanks.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Z61t - can i upgrade the internal modem card to the latest

#2 Post by Harryc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Do you really mean "modem card" or are you referring to adding wireless to it? Modem...as in dial line? I don't recall a push button on a Z61t, are you referring to the slider? It turns the wireless radio off and on.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by HarryWild » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:26 pm

I talking about the 802.?? card inside the Z61t. It been a few years ago; but I heard that this wireless card has been upgrade to either LTE and/Wimax(Intels)?. I know that the "g" has been out for 18 months or longer. What is the most uptodate wireless card available for the Z61t and how hard is it to install and what is the cost and how much faster will it be then the current OEM card?

the pushbutton I discover is for ejection of the PCMIA card.

Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#4 Post by Harryc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:24 am

Do you have an 802.11n compatible router? The fastest/latest card would be wireless 'N' but your router would have to support it. Assuming that you have an 802.11g card today, you'd also have to add a 3rd antenna in the LCD, and you'd need a new LCD lid to make the install match factory specs. The FRU# for the ThinkPad 11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express card is 42T0825. The third antenna is FRU 93P4353. The LCD lid FRU# is dependent on the machine type/model of your current machine (bottom sticker).

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by HarryWild » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 am

Harryc,
Do you have an 802.11n compatible router? The fastest/latest card would be wireless 'N' but your router would have to support it. Assuming that you have an 802.11g card today, you'd also have to add a 3rd antenna in the LCD, and you'd need a new LCD lid to make the install match factory specs. The FRU# for the ThinkPad 11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express card is 42T0825. The third antenna is FRU 93P4353. The LCD lid FRU# is dependent on the machine type/model of your current machine (bottom sticker).
Thank you for your kind reply!

From the above; it sound like it is very expensive to an upgrade. What will happen if I just install the 802.11g card and added the third antenna. The lid is too much trouble in my opinion. Will this work out if I did this shortcut? Is the original lid able to have room for the additional antenna?

I am wonder if they make a PCMIA card or an USB for the 802.11g wireless device. Might be the simplest option! Maybe I should wait to see if they make a USB 3./802.g combo in a PCMIA card. What is your opinion on this?

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by HarryWild » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:57 am

I did some research and found this card: IBM Antheros Wireless mini PCI Card.

Here is the info on the card:

IBM Lenono Thinkpad Wireless Mini PCI express 802.11B/b/g WIFI Card 39T5578

Condition:New
Product Summary:
Genuine IBM Antheros Wireless mini PCI Card

Product Compatibility:
Product name
IBM model number(s)
IBM Lenovo Thinkpad
R60, R60e, R61, R61i
T60, T60p, T61, T61p
3000 V100, V200
X60, X60s, X61, X61s
X60, X61 Tablet
Z61e, Z61m, Z61p, Z61t

1 x Atheros AR5BXB6 PCI-E Card

Is this a good card or is it one that has trouble?

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by HarryWild » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:20 am

I found out I already have this in my z61t: 1Gb Ethernet installed on systems via the system board.
Intel 802.11abg(3945) Mini PCI Express wireless adapter on selected models.

So I am set; just need to have it run faster! I will see about my router.

Thanks.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#8 Post by Harryc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:21 am

In your first post you asked about the 'latest generation' and that is 802.11n. I replied with that card in mind. Now you are saying 802.11abg is ok. Your existing router most likely already supports 802.11g.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by HarryWild » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:02 am

Well, I back again to see if I can upgrade my Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection to a 802.11N. I found this upgrade card - IBM Atheros AR5BXB72 ar5008 42t0825 on Ebay.

It list my Z61t as being compatible. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Atheros-AR5BXB7 ... 483e39a8ff

Description is shown below:
IBM/Thinkpad T61/T61p Atheros AR5BXB72 ar5008 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter

Condition: Brand New with FRU42T0827(sub for 42T0825,42T0829,42T0831, 42T0841 or some other)

Item Description:

The new ThinkPad 11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter lets you upgrade your wireless ready ThinkPad T60/T61 Z60/61 X60/X61 R60/R61 system. Mini-PCI Express is a new form factor for internal Wireless LAN connectivity for ThinkPad systems, so future offerings are expected to use Mini-PCI Express as well. Whether you work from the office or on the road, this option enables connectivity to existing 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g and 802.11n networks. It improves mobility and provides the performance necessary for high bandwidth applications such as Multimedia delivery, IP telephony and large file transfers.

Chipset is from Atheros, AR5BXB72

Please note: 300M is theory speed

Package includes:

1 X IBM Atheros AR5BXB72 ar5008 mini PCI-E card

Question: Do I still have to add an additional antenna or am I good to go?

Do you think it will work just swapping my card?

Thanks.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 am

If you go for the INTEL 622ANHMW ADVANCED-N 6200, you only need the existing 2 antenna wires.
Hurry, this will go fast! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT
As this is a half-size card, you also need a half-size bracket for it, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wifi-Mini-PCI-E-Hal ... 45f7e3bbb1
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by HarryWild » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Atheros AR5BXB72 ar5008 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter
So you are saying indirectly that the above card needs more additional antennas to operated?
If you go for the INTEL 622ANHMW ADVANCED-N 6200, you only need the existing 2 antenna wires.
Does not mention if it is compatible with my Thinkpad. Plus, I have to buy an additional item and install it too. I am very confused!

:roll:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:04 pm

It's a no-brainer really!
'Your' card costs $47.-
'My' card costs $17.- incl. the adapter bracket (card+bracket makes 1 unit, using 2 screws, how confusing is that?)

And I wouldn't recommend something that doesn't work!
I use the exact same combo in my T61 and just ordered another set for my T60.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#13 Post by HarryWild » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:53 pm

I guess I rather buy "New" and have a one piece direct swap then to buy an extender and buy a used board with a 7 day warranty. It just the way I am I guess; but I appreciate the way you try to save me money. Bill, I will let you know what price arrive. Thanks again. It been a while.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by HarryWild » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:It's a no-brainer really!
'Your' card costs $47.-
'My' card costs $17.- incl. the adapter bracket (card+bracket makes 1 unit, using 2 screws, how confusing is that?)

And I wouldn't recommend something that doesn't work!
I use the exact same combo in my T61 and just ordered another set for my T60.
RealBlackStuff,

After dinking around with the Ebay sellers - who do not know anything; I decided to take your advice and purchase the Intel 622ANHMW Wifi Advanced-N Mini Wireless Card and the Wifi Mini PCI-E Half Size to Full Size Bracket+Screws.

I still have a new keyboard and palmrest to order so I can complete this project in one remove and install.

The letters are coming off of my keys and somehow I got a small crack on the edge of my palmrest.

Thanks for all your help and for saving me some $$$ on top of everything else. As Jackie Gleeson said: "You are the greatest!"

I will update you and everyone on the outcome of the upgraded modem, keyboard and palmrest.

Harry

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#15 Post by HarryWild » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:24 pm

RealBlackStuff,
I got a Error 1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the mini PCI network card. I try to re-seat it again but same error. I replace the card with the OEM. Works.

Harry

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#16 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 am

You need to update your BIOS with an updated version, that bypasses the limited approved list of wifi cards.
Zender made those BIOSes, I host them on my Board Room website (see my signature).
Once there, click on Zender-BIOS on the left. You need the very last BIOS on that page, which is for the Z61.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#17 Post by HarryWild » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:44 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:You need to update your BIOS with an updated version, that bypasses the limited approved list of wifi cards.
Zender made those BIOSes, I host them on my Board Room website (see my signature).
Once there, click on Zender-BIOS on the left. You need the very last BIOS on that page, which is for the Z61.
Hi RealBlackStuff,

I guess I not smart enough to figure out how to go to get to your Board Room website (see my signature). I try to click on your signature but no link. Can you show me a more direct way of going to get to the Zender offerings like maybe a website link or more detail instructions would be helpful. I even try to do a Yahoo search but it goes back to this forum under white papers..... I totally lost! I know I am hopeless. :D

Thanks.

Harry

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#18 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Just click on The Board Room in my signature (under here), that IS a website link..

tadc

#19 Post by tadc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi RealBlackStuff, I'm following this discussion as I'm thinking about upgrading my z61t to support wireless n.

If I'm following you, you're saying we need to reflash with a hacked bios in order to allow use of a non-lenovo wireless card.

But what's this on your website's Zender-bios page under the Access Connection Support heading, about editing the AcAdaptersInfo.dll with a hex editor? It seems to imply that if I do that, I don't need to do the bios? Or do I need to do both for a non-supported card to work? Also, "this easy way only works for cards from already supported manufacturers" - how do I know if it's already supported?

Last, do you know of an officially supported n card that doesn't require the third antenna, new lid, etc? I'm a little concerned about having to rely on an unsupported bios mod for potential future bios updates.

Thanks!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#20 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:39 pm

As stated on that Zender-BIOS page, I do NOT answer any questions about the content.
I only supply the service of hosting those BIOS files, nothing else.

I don't think there is an official N-card for your Z61t, they didn't have N when your machine was built.
If you want to keep the door open for newer BIOS versions, you could always go and ask user Middleton or other fine folks on http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/

tadc

#21 Post by tadc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Apologies RBS, I missed that point in the huge red text...

To answer my own questions for posterity (see this huge thread: http://www.thinkpads.com/forum/viewtopi ... 29&t=55837): the BIOS hack only allows the laptop to boot with the non-approved card installed. If you want to use it with the Lenovo "Access Connections" software(to enable the fn-F5 wireless profiles and ??), you need to edit the DLLs mentioned. Otherwise you should just need to install the correct driver.

tadc

#22 Post by tadc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 am

Greetings internet - update!

I went ahead and ordered the intel 622ANHMW and bracket as suggested above. Parts came to a total of $15.95 and arrived surprisingly fast.

I downloaded the Zender bios from the The Board Room (http://www.theboardroom.info/bios/zender-bios.html) and flashed it. Note that these come in .iso format and (at least for my Thinkpad, Z61t) is 2 minor revisions behind - 2.25 vs the 2.27 that I had installed. Not a big deal.

Because I didn't want to bother with burning a CD, I used Daemon tools to mount the iso and then copied the files into the existing C:\drivers\flash\7fuj27us directory I had lying around from the last time I flashed the bios - this was so I could use the Windows flash util (WINUPTP.EXE, which came with the last bios flash directory I mentioned above).

So... flashed the bios, rebooted to make sure things still worked, then cracked the case and installed the new card.

Rebooted, presto-chango, new card works great! Connects at 300mbs, wireless light works, wireless switch works, Fn-F5 will control wireless state.

Thanks all for the help.

EDIT: I never mentioned, I *did* have to install the driver for the new wireless card!
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR ... ilyId=1783
Last edited by tadc on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#23 Post by HarryWild » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I having trouble with flashing the bios.

The files that where down loaded and saved and then opened are: 7suj18uc, 7suj18u.wph, $10B6200.fl1.

I ran the 7suj18uc image file in the unzipped folder using the run command and run brought up Nero to burn it. But there was another folder that was a zip folder that also has a 7suj18uc image file in it. The operation burned the CD with about dozen of separate files and only one README.TXT file. All the rest where file with a blue box icon or files with an extension of fl1,fl2, hsh, PAT.

After it the CD read the contents and when to the C> prompt and gave the message Drivers was installed successfully. MSCDex Version 2.23 blow the screen and some about the Version of the DVDRAM CD something. There was no instruction that brought a program to load and say if it was okay to flash, etc... It just read the CD and then ended.

Checking the bios version in Bios Setting show that it was unchanged.

I ran the CD four times but came up with the same.

Here is my Logo.bat file contents on my CD:

@echo off
@del logo.mod
@chkbmp logo.bmp
@if ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO ERROR
@prepare logo.scr
@goto END
:Error
@echo LOGO.BMP file is not found or is not correct.
:END

here is the lcreflsh.bat file contents on my CD:

@echo off
flash2.exe /u

What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by HarryWild on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#24 Post by Harryc » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:50 pm

There is only one file you should need to deal with and it will end in .iso. Burn that to disc as an image. A copy will not work.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#25 Post by HarryWild » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Harryc wrote:There is only one file you should need to deal with and it will end in .iso. Burn that to disc as an image. A copy will not work.

I did it with Nero Express and it came up with the same files as before? There is like a dozen files on the burned CD. I will try it again just for the sake of doing it but the CD from what I can tell is identical to the previous CD. I did choice Image too but it did not copy only the "ONE ISO" file but somehow unload the complete contents of the ISO file itself.

I am I doing something wrong?

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#26 Post by HarryWild » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Did not work with the CD boot with the second burning! I going to replaced the modem card back to the original modem card. I guess, I have to read up on the Daemon tools and find the Windows bios tool to make it work.

I just do not get it! All the rest of the time; the CD brought up a bios setup and it was done.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#27 Post by HarryWild » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Can I use the Windows flash util WINUPTP.EXE on the CD? Since it already a mounted ISO; it should work right?

Does not work because it said the current version is already installed! I going to try to wipe out all de contents of the C:\drivers\FLASH\7fuj22us subdirectory and move the Winuptp.exe somewhere else and copy it from the cd and try it again.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#28 Post by HarryWild » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:05 pm

I finally flash it by entering on the command line the flash /u and press enter. And it booted without can conflict but Windows did the new hardware dialog box and I knew I was in trouble. I try to have Windows find the driver but without internet connection; it was a catch 22! I finally gave up! Lucky my old modem still works in the Z61t. I going buy a PCMCIA 802.11n card for $60 and that should fix the modem problem for me. I going to buy it at Best Buy since they said I could return it if it did not work - take to the store manager for special permission. Don't want loose any more $$$.

Thanks for your time.

tadc

#29 Post by tadc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:15 pm

HarryWild wrote:I finally flash it by entering on the command line the flash /u and press enter. And it booted without can conflict but Windows did the new hardware dialog box and I knew I was in trouble. I try to have Windows find the driver but without internet connection; it was a catch 22! I finally gave up! Lucky my old modem still works in the Z61t. I going buy a PCMCIA 802.11n card for $60 and that should fix the modem problem for me. I going to buy it at Best Buy since they said I could return it if it did not work - take to the store manager for special permission. Don't want loose any more $$$.

Thanks for your time.
Harry - I hate to see you give up so close to winning the battle! All you need to do is download/install the driver for the new wireless card and you'll be golden...
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR ... ilyId=1783

garnet
Freshman Member

#30 Post by garnet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:16 am

tadc wrote: I downloaded the Zender bios from the The Board Room (http://www.theboardroom.info/bios/zender-bios.html) and flashed it. Note that these come in .iso format and (at least for my Thinkpad, Z61t) is 2 minor revisions behind - 2.25 vs the 2.27 that I had installed. Not a big deal.
Can anyone confirm that there is no problem if your current BIOS version is newer than the cracked BIOS version.
Will it let you flash to a older version?
T60 8743-cto, 64 GB C300 SSD, UB HDD - 200GB 7200, ATI MR X1400 @ 1680x1050, 3 GB RAM, Core 2 Duo T7200 2 GHz, Atheros WIFI N, IntelPRO/1000 PL, DVDRW, Win XP pro/Ubuntu 10.10