Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

What simple mail client for W7?

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
atanasoff
Sophomore Member

What simple mail client for W7?

#1 Post by atanasoff » Mon May 12, 2014 6:44 pm

I'd like to install a light, simple mail client (not Outlook, at least not now), which can import from Outlook Express (XP).

Main criteria are
i) Multiple accounts can be see in one window, or separated
ii) Easy way to repair corrupted files; should one's mailbox be corrupted when the system crashes I do not want to dig from backup and lose (much) mail
iii) Doesn't crash.
iv) Cheap, tho doesn't need to be free.

That's about it.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What simple mail client for W7?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Mozilla's Thunderbird.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

twistero

#3 Post by twistero » Mon May 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Thunderbird is pretty much the standard "alternative" mail client. I have limited experience with that, and it seems to work well.

Windows Live Mail could be an alternative, but I've never used it.

Regarding point (ii), does your email provider have IMAP? If so, you could configure the email client to synchronize with the server, as opposed to retrieving mail and then deleting them on the server with POP3. This way, if the local mailbox file is corrupted, (or if you decide to work from several computers), you can always re-sync with the server.
X60 tablet 6363-P3U, 3GB ram, 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, SXGA+ screen, Intel 6300
T61 Frankenpad in 15 inch T60 body, UXGA LED-lit AFFS LCD, T9300, 6GB RAM, NVidia NVS140m, Intel 6205, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, 1TB HGST HDD + eBay caddy in Ultrabay
701c butterfly, 75MHz 486DX4, 40MB ram, 1GB CF card

ilakast

#4 Post by ilakast » Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm not using Windows in general, so no personal recommendation, but a nice website for alternative software is the following

http://alternativeto.net/software/micro ... rm=windows
4:3 T61 SXGA+, R61i 4:3 15'', X41T

Majestic

#5 Post by Majestic » Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 am

I use Windows Live Mail which allows the importing of messages from Outlook Express.

I. Handles multiple accounts which are listed in the left pane. Adding Hotmail & GMail accounts is quick and easy.

II. POP3 mail can be configured to leave mail on server. GMail and Hotmail is automatically left on server till you delete it.

III. Haven't crashed it yet.

IV. It's free
My Laptop Collection:
IdeaPad Z570, 8gb RAM & Win 7 Home Premium / Win 8.1 Pro
Toshiba A75-S206, 1.5gb RAM & Windows 7 Home Premium
ThinkPad T-22 (Formerly a T-20), 512mb RAM & Win XP Pro

precip9

#6 Post by precip9 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:19 am

Windows Live email is my favorite.

I used to play with Thunderbird, but, and this was some years ago, but my impression was that the Thunderbird development team simply was not at the level of the Firefox team. For many years, it was alien to the Thunderbird guys that one might want to have more than one inbox. They really lagged.

Windows Live email does occasionally soft crash. It has these irritants:
1. Occasionally, ^A (select all), delete, returns an internal error. The recalcitrant emails then have to be discarded in small selects of 2 or 3.
2. The original Outlook Express allowed a ^A selection, followed by CONTROL/left click to unselect individual emails. With Window Live email, this feature went missing, and never returned. So, as with the Thunderbird situation, the brightest stars seem to work on other projects.
3. The ribbon has a lot of doodads I simply ignore.
4. The original Outlook Express, still my favorite, had a very readable black-on-white display theme. In Windows Live email, this has been replaced by pastels and grey tones. If you happen to have a CRT, the loss of contrast is annoying. But nobody uses a CRT anymore.

No hard crashes, or losses of email have occurred here. The user choice of layout is very flexible. It works reliably with every pop/imap host I've tried.

Opera had an idea for a completely different organization of an email client, but it didn't grow on me.
W500x3 with T9900, , T400 highnit 1280x800 with P9600, X61sx3, X61Tx3.

automobus

For POP3, there is OE Classic

#7 Post by automobus » Tue May 13, 2014 11:43 am

Some time ago, I heard of OE Classic. I did not try it, not even for a minute, I have no idea how good or bad it is, no impression or heard anecdotes. It is for POP3 only.

OE Classic http://www.oeclassic.com

precip9

#8 Post by precip9 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 pm

If nothing else, it sounds like a good idea. Checking the system requirements, it mentions pop, but not imap. Let's hope they add imap.

atanasoff
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by atanasoff » Tue May 13, 2014 4:52 pm

precip9 wrote:Windows Live email is my favorite.

I used to play with Thunderbird, but, and this was some years ago, but my impression was that the Thunderbird development team simply was not at the level of the Firefox team. For many years, it was alien to the Thunderbird guys that one might want to have more than one inbox. They really lagged.

Windows Live email does occasionally soft crash. It has these irritants:
1. Occasionally, ^A (select all), delete, returns an internal error. The recalcitrant emails then have to be discarded in small selects of 2 or 3.
2. The original Outlook Express allowed a ^A selection, followed by CONTROL/left click to unselect individual emails. With Window Live email, this feature went missing, and never returned. So, as with the Thunderbird situation, the brightest stars seem to work on other projects.
3. The ribbon has a lot of doodads I simply ignore.
4. The original Outlook Express, still my favorite, had a very readable black-on-white display theme. In Windows Live email, this has been replaced by pastels and grey tones. If you happen to have a CRT, the loss of contrast is annoying. But nobody uses a CRT anymore.

No hard crashes, or losses of email have occurred here. The user choice of layout is very flexible. It works reliably with every pop/imap host I've tried.

Opera had an idea for a completely different organization of an email client, but it didn't grow on me.
I never thought of OE as advanced, rather as minimal. I'm surprised anyone would bother developing a client with even less functionality than OE, though personally I don't need much more.
Windows Live ... not to be dense, but this sounds like a web service, less like a stand alone client.
edit: will look into that.

precip9

#10 Post by precip9 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:29 am

atanasoff wrote: I never thought of OE as advanced, rather as minimal. I'm surprised anyone would bother developing a client with even less functionality than OE, though personally I don't need much more.
Windows Live ... not to be dense, but this sounds like a web service, less like a stand alone client.
edit: will look into that.
Windows Live Email is more elaborate, in that it has separate inboxes, as well as an integrated view, junk mail tagging, and lots of other stuff I don't use.

The name may give suspicion it's a web service, but the following components of Window Live are not web services:
Movie Maker
Mail
Writer
Photo Gallery

Each component can be installed separately. A standalone installer is available at
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ffline-faq