Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Middle mouse button+touchstick: unable to move the cursor

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
nitro2k01
Freshman Member

Middle mouse button+touchstick: unable to move the cursor

#1 Post by nitro2k01 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:55 pm

The question is about a Thinkpad T60, however, I suspect many models are using the same mouse hardware and driver, so the question is more relevant to Windows 7 as a whole than the Thinkpad T6x line.

The Thinkpad T60 has a touchpad, and a stick, and two sets of buttons, one two button set and one three button set. Firstly I wanted to be able to use the middle button as a middle mouse button instead of a trigger for the zoom scroll function. I was able to do this using the "neither" option for the middle button:

However, one problem remains: When I'm pressing the middle button, I can't move the mouse cursor using the stick. It's stuck, just as it would be if the scroll function was enabled. This is important for me since I use the CAD software, such as Eagle, where middle button drag is meaningful. Is there a setting that can be changed, or another driver version which lets me do this?

Whatever solution I end up using also has to be able to turn off the lower (two-button) button group. I can do this with the current driver, but don't want to lose this functionality.

The hardware ID for the mouse hardware is IBM0057. My current driver version is 16.2.19.14 from date 2014-07-25. I believe I downloaded this driver form the Lenovo download center.
TP 600E:: Type: 2645 (Defunct. Description left for posterity.)
CPU: 650*1.08=702 MHz PIII with SpeedStep disabled. (Used to be 400 MHz PII)
RAM: 288 MB
HDD: 80 GB non-IBM
_________
TP T60:: Type: 2008-CTO
CPU: Core Duo T2400 1.83 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
HDD: WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200 RPM

nitro2k01
Freshman Member

Re: Middle mouse button+touchstick: unable to move the curso

#2 Post by nitro2k01 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:43 pm

I've managed to solve this by editing a registry value. In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\UltraNavPS2, the TrackPointMode value specifies various settings. In particular, the lower two bits specify the TouchStick mode. Normally, this can be set to 1, 2 or 3, for the user selectable modes. (Hex 2211, 2212 or 2213 in my case). By setting the mode to 0, (TrackPointMode=2210 in my case) and rebooting, the button started worked as I wanted it to. After doing this, none of the radio boxes are selected in the TrackPoint settings window:

TP 600E:: Type: 2645 (Defunct. Description left for posterity.)
CPU: 650*1.08=702 MHz PIII with SpeedStep disabled. (Used to be 400 MHz PII)
RAM: 288 MB
HDD: 80 GB non-IBM
_________
TP T60:: Type: 2008-CTO
CPU: Core Duo T2400 1.83 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
HDD: WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200 RPM