Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Strange keyboard problem when using Synergy [SOLVED]

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
KlaymenDK

Strange keyboard problem when using Synergy [SOLVED]

#1 Post by KlaymenDK » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi,
I've a strange problem when using Synergy (the keyboard/mouse remote software). See if you can make any sense of what fixes I should try.

- My work laptop (ThinkPad X220) runs Windows 7 and is configured to switch between QWERTY and Dvorak using the Caps Lock key via the Keyla app. This works excellently.
- My personal computer (home-built) runs Mint 17 and is configured to switch between QWERTY and Dvorak using the Caps Lock key via the usual method. This works excellently.
- Both of these computers are (since today) running Synergy and QSynergy, with the Mint machine acting as server and the Windows machine acting as client. This works excellently.
- However, when I use my desktop keyboard while the cursor is on the laptop screen (so I'm sending keystrokes to the laptop), whenever I type an 'a' it ends up in uppercase! I can do all sorts of combinations of this-or-that machine using the Dvorak keyboard layout and using-or-not CAPS LOCK, but I simply cannot type a lowercase 'a'. Or rather: I can if I just reach over and tap the 'a' on the laptop, but no way from the desktop keyboard. I have not (yet) detected other misbehaving keys.

What is going on? What do I need to configure to make this work?
If anyone can shed any light on this, I would be very grateful. As it is, I can hardly use my desktop keyboard for actual work.

PS. I'm cross-posting this to forums.linuxmint.com because the other computer is running Linux Mint.
Last edited by KlaymenDK on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KlaymenDK

Re: Strange keyboard problem when using Synergy [SOLVED]

#2 Post by KlaymenDK » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Aha, I resolved it.
I was using "synergy-1.3.8-Windows-x86" when I had this problem. I then downloaded and tried the newest version, "synergy1.6.3stablea833611Windowsx86" but that version won't connect to the Synergy server on my desktop computer. The next older version, "synergy-1-5-0-en-win", also could not connect to my server, although according to its log it somehow thought it did.

Finally, using "synergy-1-4-12-beta-en-win", I have a connection and a working keyboard! Only trouble is, when I move my "remote" mouse, the first 0.2 seconds are not registered -- which gives the feeling of a slightly "stuck" or glitchy cursor, and precise movements are impossible. But it works.

I might try "synergy-1-4-3-beta-en-win" which I have also downloaded to see if it improves on the mouse issue, but this is "good enough" and I'm marking this as solved.