Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to keep track of ThinkPad and parts accumilated.

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Saucey

How to keep track of ThinkPad and parts accumilated.

#1 Post by Saucey » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Hey guys, since I accumilated quite a few laptops, I was curious if you guys use some sort of program to keep inventory of your stuff.

My method of writing it down on paper proved OK, but I cant seem to find that piece of paper. :mrgreen:
Is there anything out there better than using Excel or LibreOffice Calc for basic note taking?
I was checking some inventory management software, but they seem to have a lot of bells, whistles and features I dont need.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: How to keep track of ThinkPad and parts accumilated.

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:56 pm

My filing system for spare/excess parts is a great big bloody cardboard box. I suffer often from "I know I've got it somewhere" syndrome.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Neil » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:46 pm

Yeah...I have parts scattered all over my home office, workshop and storage room, in boxes, in drawers, on shelves and just on top of my desks. Nothing is organized...but, it sure would be nice if it was. A list of not only what I have, but where it is located would be great. But, it's just not going to happen if left up to me.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

Saucey

#4 Post by Saucey » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Ah. So a cardboard box then, I only got a few of those, guess its time to go shopping.

And I thought I was the only one who kept them around like that.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by rkawakami » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:11 pm

My system has evolved into multiple Word documents. Separated by model type (T2x, X2x, Z6x, A2x, A3x, etc.) into .doc files, they have been posted to my Dropbox account so I have now have access to them as long as I have one of my laptops with me. Thought about putting them into an Access database but haven't gotten around to it and also because I don't have the full Office suite loaded into every one of my computers. I've also thought about using my copy of ClarisWorks for Windows (how's that for an old, obscure database program?), but inertia wins out again.

Data about the systems include who it was bought from and when, the model type, serial number, motherboard serial number, BIOS/EC version, CPU, memory configuration, UUID, MAC address, hard drive info (manufacturer, size, model number, OS installed), screen size and resolution, battery info (serial number, full charge capacity and charge cycles), how much it originally cost, and in most cases, what I've additionally spent on it. Included are notes about passing my usual sequence of diagnostics, any known issues, damage or missing pieces, as well as who I sold it to and when.

Inventory and location of spare parts such as Ultrabay HD adapters, Ultrabay optical drives, power supplies, docking stations/port replicators, external optical drives, memory modules, hard drives, floppy drives, batteries, motherboards, lids, LCDs, cables, screws, caddies and what not, is kept in my head :) . Most of this stuff that is commonly used is within eyesight anyway, much to the consternation of my wife when she looks into my home office.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Saucey wrote:
And I thought I was the only one who kept them around like that.
You're a little late to that party, my good man...

I'm somewhere in the middle: not as organized as Ray by any stretch of imagination, but not completely chaotic either. Inventory is done about quarterly, boxes are clearly labelled as in "A3x parts", "LCDs"...etc.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Temetka » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 am

I am the same as most here. I keep stuff in a box for small parts. Laptops themselves are stacked on a shelf. But after a few purges I am down to just a few a few spare parts and a small stack of laptops, and I am very happy with it that way.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by dr_st » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:29 am

I think Excel (or an equivalent spreadsheet programs) is a great way to create tables at all levels of complexity, up to the point where you need to make complex database queries (at which point you want Access or another kind of SQL database). Doubtful that any amateur Thinkpadder, no matter how large their inventory is, will need to go to that level, though. :)
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:33 am

My laptops (ca. 45 at the moment) are stored in a sideboard, on shelves, spread out on some work benches and on the big window sill in my office.
Parts are stored in my office/workspace (on shelves, and in boxes on the floor) and in the garage (in some cupboards).
I keep track of purchased/sold laptops with their specifics in an Excel spreadsheet, and I keep all emails about bought/sold parts and laptops in tons of sub-directories in my Thunderbird email program (info going back now to 2003, when I first started with Thinkpads).
I receive loads of packages from USPS, UPS and Fedex, and all that packing material drives me (pea)nuts!
It forces me to go to the recycling every second week with a car full of boxes (all flattened, mind you), paper and packing peanuts.
Since we are planning on moving next year, I'm keeping all the bubble wrap (several 40-gallon bags full by now).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Temetka wrote:I am the same as most here. I keep stuff in a box for small parts. Laptops themselves are stacked on a shelf. But after a few purges I am down to just a few a few spare parts and a small stack of laptops, and I am very happy with it that way.
Priorities over impulse-buying is what did it for me. Used to buy used ThinkPads quite a bit in the past but hardly so anymore. I feel I have the tech that works for me at the moment. I have thinned out my laptop collection from 6 to 3 now and also built my own desktop over the summer. I was fortunate enough to get an internship that paid well so I could save a little money and build my little mATX desktop. I currently have a large cardboard box that has several TP parts I need to go through at the end of this semester and sort out. I like a simple and clean living area/workspace so getting rid of that box is up toward the top of my To-Do List.

I do feel a little better knowing that there are others beside myself who use the Big Cardboard Box strategy :mrgreen:
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor