Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

EU seems to be in danger...

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Location: North Carolina, ...in my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

Re: EU seems to be in danger...

#181 Post by Kyocera » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 pm

What pi$$es me off is the way the US "worships" Veterans (except those of WW-II).
The US fights and loses wars in foreign countries (like Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq) that are none of their business to begin with.
Then those that get killed, wounded or go daft there are treated here as heroes, WTF?
They are not defending their own country, they all volunteered to kill people in other countries, why should they be honored?

Yes, brilliant insight there Keyboard Commando.
This from the guy who is crying to the internets because his country is in turmoil or some whinning blabber, LOL. Maybe beer will solve the problem.

Off Topic seems to be the meeting place for the FWBA (foreigners with bad attitudes)

I'll speak for all those Loser Veterans, since I spent 21 years in the US Army as a loser.

Banning me again in 5,4,3,2, :jhem:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#182 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:20 am

Looking at the comments about your glorified signature link, my observations are not that far off and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

TonyJZX

#183 Post by TonyJZX » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:36 pm

The thing is that not all soldiers buy into this nationalism.

Plenty of soldiers came back realising that they participated in morally questionable wars.

A serious point has been raised, the wars since Korea have been dubious at the very least. If you cant question those motives there's something wrong with you.

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#184 Post by wujstefan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:41 am

Well, getting back to the topic the things that are happening in Europe now are not something to laugh at.

On the one side, I'm happy to live in a country that nobody wants to emigrate to. On the other side however, I'm living too close to Russia. Who knows, maybe there are some separatistic moves in Poland (and separatists themselver are armed with homemade Russian Federation uniforms, tanks and nukes).

I guess whole Shenken-Europe (+UK and Slovenia) have one common problem, while East-Block (Ukraine, Georgia and Finland) has another.

Tough times in Europe.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#185 Post by Puppy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:08 am

wujstefan wrote:On the one side, I'm happy to live in a country that nobody wants to emigrate to.
Same here :) Who would have guessed it ten years ago. Now it looks like a big advantage because Sweden and Belgium are already lost countries and Germany is getting closer.

I had thoughts of moving to Germany many years ago because local economic situation where prices of everything are doubled compared to Germany (using exchange rate) but salaries are still 1/4 only. This is constant setup that will never change. People who live close to borders with Germany, Austria or Poland buys everything there (especially food) for 15 years because it is cheaper and better quality but the Prague city location is in the middle of the country so we're out of luck here.

But now it seems as living in a poor second grade colony of western global companies has its advantages, unfortunately :(
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#186 Post by Puppy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Huawei MateBook 13

Ernest Nest

#187 Post by Ernest Nest » Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 am

Puppy wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:08 am

I had thoughts of moving to Germany many years ago because local economic situation where prices of everything are doubled compared to Germany (using exchange rate) but salaries are still 1/4 only. This is constant setup that will never change. People who live close to borders with Germany, Austria or Poland buys everything there (especially food) for 15 years because it is cheaper and better quality but the Prague city location is in the middle of the country so we're out of luck here.

But now it seems as living in a poor second grade colony of western global companies has its advantages, unfortunately :(
You know, I have been living in Germany for exactly 3 years now and I can say that prices here are lower than for example in France. I can afford a decent life in Germany being a foreigner and speaking no German, while in France where I was born, having the same job like I have now in Germany I would live much worse. I can’t afford buying property in Paris, while in Germany I can, and I am planning to buy an apartment in Berlin, live and work here, rather than live in Paris.
Je suis Charlie

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#188 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 am

If you live in Germany, then why does your Location say: Paris, France?

Ernest Nest

#189 Post by Ernest Nest » Fri May 05, 2017 6:33 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 am
If you live in Germany, then why does your Location say: Paris, France?
Hi,
I do live in Germany, but I am french, put Paris bcz feel nostalgic about my country...
Je suis Charlie

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#190 Post by TankPad » Fri May 05, 2017 7:16 am

Wow, what a deep conversation to spawn out of only a link to a satirical website.
| 701c | X220 | T420 | X230 | T430s | W540

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#191 Post by Puppy » Fri May 05, 2017 9:06 am

Ernest Nest wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 am
I can’t afford buying property in Paris, while in Germany I can, and I am planning to buy an apartment in Berlin
Same here. Prices of apartments (converted to Euro) are close to Berlin with the difference of 1/4 salary level over here compared to Germany only. Most of apartments are actually bought by russian traffickers (there are already districts called 'Small Moscow'), they are able to pay the insane prices while it is unreachable for most of local people.
Huawei MateBook 13

Ibthink

#192 Post by Ibthink » Fri May 05, 2017 9:22 am

Puppy wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:06 am
Ernest Nest wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 am
I can’t afford buying property in Paris, while in Germany I can, and I am planning to buy an apartment in Berlin
Same here. Prices of apartments (converted to Euro) are close to Berlin with the difference of 1/4 salary level over here compared to Germany only. Most of apartments are actually bought by russian traffickers (there are already districts called 'Small Moscow'), they are able to pay the insane prices while it is unreachable for most of local people.
This represents a market failure. Theoretically, in a free market the prices should sink once no one can afford to buy these appartments, but this doesn´t happen because rich foreigners buy them. I guess the state would have to step in to regulate, but I know that this is still a bad word in parts of Eastern Europe.
Last edited by Ibthink on Fri May 05, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#193 Post by Puppy » Fri May 05, 2017 9:37 am

Ibthink wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:22 am
I guess the state would have to step in to regulate, but I know that this is still a bad word in parts of Eastern Europe.
Very bad word. Now it is close to wild west, no regulation nor rules, money talks. Developers already owns the city and dictates the future development. Historical centre already beceme a Disneyland, almost no people live there anymore. The mantra of 90's was to sell all state property in the historical centre to anyone for any purpose because "private owner is always right and best option". The damage is irreversible.

The quality of new buildings is terrible and definitely worse than those well-known big block of flats from past (there are several cases of collapsed ones) with no infrastructure (shops, schools, public transport, cable/fibre Internet), rooms are being smaller but prices are three times or more higher than ten years ago. Note that there is still lack of free new appartments while you can see empty appartments or even whole houses (especially in the historical centre) for years. It is bought as an "investment" by eastern foreigners, typically to save money from illegal activities, and kept uninhabited.

UK and other civilized countries have regulation of long term empty appartments/houses but you can't say it loud here without being called a commie or such.
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#194 Post by Puppy » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 am

Just another ordinary day in Europe http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40010124 :(

What really makes me angry is the cynism of EU politicians and their false statements because we know they'll do absolutely nothing to prevent such terrible things again. Just waiting for another Macron's speech about We have to learn to live with that :twisted:

Meanwhile in Paris ...
Huawei MateBook 13

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#195 Post by TankPad » Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 am

Puppy wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 am
Just another ordinary day in Europe http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40010124 :(

What really makes me angry is the cynism of EU politicians and their false statements because we know they'll do absolutely nothing to prevent such terrible things again. Just waiting for another Macron's speech about We have to learn to live with that :twisted:

Meanwhile in Paris ...
Unfortunately, in most cases these incidents are conducted by home grown extremists so they are very difficult to combat. There's​ a lot of blame immediately pointed at immigrants and immigration policy but for the most part this rarely has anything to do with the cause of the problem.

Also, that newspaper you linked is a complete rag, infamous for publishing highly sensationalised and downright fictional stories. I wouldn't put much faith in it. :)

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#196 Post by Puppy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Oh yes, Merkel will handle it :( And we already know there is absolutely no connection to ...

German music festival Rock am Ring evacuated after cops warn of ‘terror threat’
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3711222/g ... or-threat/

While no one was fortunately injured, it is just another battle they have won :(
- the show for almost 90000 people was cancelled
- the rest of festival (next two days) is probably over
- the promoter will very likely bankrupt (no further volumes of the festival - domino effect)
- it will affect another big festivals
TankPad wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 am
There's​ a lot of blame immediately pointed at immigrants and immigration policy but for the most part this rarely has anything to do with the cause of the problem.
There are at least two disciplines you can use here: statistics and epidemiology. It will provide some answers and possible steps (yet).
Huawei MateBook 13

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#197 Post by TankPad » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Puppy wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:18 pm
TankPad wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 am
There's​ a lot of blame immediately pointed at immigrants and immigration policy but for the most part this rarely has anything to do with the cause of the problem.
There are at least two disciplines you can use here: statistics and epidemiology. It will provide some answers and possible steps (yet).
I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say. As it turned out though, the Manchester incident was indeed conducted by a Manchester born extremest. The disaster that has been the movement of millions of people towards Europe gets blamed for these incidents but it's been shown that they are more often carried out by homegrown extremists who are often traveling to these war zones to take part, as they feel a closer sense of identity with these far away countries than with their own nations. Surely in these cases then, the main problem to tackle is a domestic one.

Indeed many of these migration problems wouldn't exist had European ​countries not interfered in Libya, Syria etc and brought about the instability that is now feeding the influx of people to Europe. We can't have our cake and eat it, as they say.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#198 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:14 pm

TankPad wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Indeed many of these migration problems wouldn't exist had European ​countries not interfered in Libya, Syria etc and brought about the instability that is now feeding the influx of people to Europe. We can't have our cake and eat it, as they say.
Not to defend various Western interventions that I positively detest, but the problem has been present long before any of them took place. It just wasn't as obvious, and many have turned a blind eye for the reasons of political correctness, laziness or outright plain greed.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#199 Post by Cigarguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Using immigrants as scapegoats is a great fear-mongering tool of the politician. History have shown that no matter how many immigrants are killed, the violence within a society doesn't end. Fear, ignorance and bigotry.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#200 Post by Puppy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:22 am

TankPad wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:01 pm
but it's been shown that they are more often carried out by homegrown extremists
It confirms that the integration has failed and it is imposible in general. Their primitive culture is not compatible with our and in many cases they simply hate us (except our money from social security system). What I was trying to say their culture and roots represents a high risk. After the Manchester news published information there are over 20000 extremists known to MI5. Why these people are still in Europe ?

You may find these incidents and number of "immigrants" looking for our money while many of them (some reports says 60%) are illiterate as coincidence but in my point of view it isn't. These extremists/terrorists and "immigrants" shares the same hateful culture and increases a risk. If they were real immigrants with education they wouldn't try to get to Germany or Sweden exclusively known for high social security system standards. You also can not deny the increasing number of no-go zones and and other safety issues in everyday life, especially targeted to women. I've read a study why our city (Prague) is becoming popular for foreigners that caused high raise of hauses cost. One of reasons was you can let your girlfriend to go out alone in the evening without posing a serious risk, this is no longer possible in many european cities :eek:

Yesterday 90000 of people has lost another battle. It won't stop, it'll become worse and worse. After several years there won't be any big music festivals and we will have to "understand it" again. I don't want to live in such world.

A note about the integration. Last year I went to Oberhausen for a concert, it is close to Essen. When I arrive to Essen railway station to transfer to another train to Oberhausen I was a bit surprised. The people on the railway station were about 80% turkish, 5% afro and 15% germans. The same in Oberhausen. I took a walk to the hotel (that was relatively cheap considering the historic centre location, later I found why) for a 15 minutes. I almost haven't heard anyone speaking german during these 15 minutes. The hotel itself was nice, new and clean but the location (turkish area) made it cheap. I checked older comments on Booking.com and found that many people (especially women) didn't feel safe in that area, I can understand it. Next day I was looking for a bakery to get a breakfast. While there were many of them looking similar to me, it was clearly separated to 'german' and 'turkish' ones. On sunday there was something like 'cleaning day'. Many workers on the streets, guess how many of them were non-germans (Merkel said they need people for such manual work) ? Zero. I've seen the turkish people just smoking on the street, talking or rather screaming to each other but they actually never worked except running several gambling places or second hand mobile phone shops and one weird red light area. Then I moved back by train to Essen and essentially :) the same scenario there as well. All the manual work was done by german (or european-look) people.

You may find it biased and short-time experience of course but even small sample is statistically significant. This is not an integration and similar scenario will happen with current "immigrants". Just added risk, no value. Such a big difference to here, where we have large vietnamese community (in the past many of them went to universities to former Czechoslovakia and stayed here). There are no long term serious issues, no no-go zones or attacks, majority of them works instead of pumping money from social security system, they speak czech and many of them have excellent results in schools. This is what I call a successful integration, if you ask.
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#201 Post by Puppy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Puppy wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:22 am
It won't stop, it'll become worse and worse.
London Bridge incident http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-40147014
Huawei MateBook 13

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#202 Post by TankPad » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Wow. That's some serious views based on totally junk evidence. I'll leave ya to it...

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#203 Post by Puppy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:13 pm

TankPad wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:05 pm
Wow. That's some serious views based on totally junk evidence. I'll leave ya to it...
Sure, we have to accept it and live with that :roll: Now it is called "incident". Global Peace Index 2017 compare the result with list of the most islamic countries and you might get the answer. For some people it is stil just "junk" data, of course.

UPDATE oh yes, it is there again: 'We will never let them win'.
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#204 Post by Puppy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:26 am

Paris today. What city tomorrow ?
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#205 Post by Puppy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:27 am

Step to another level :( Islam acts as 'license to kill' in Germany http://www.bild.de/regional/berlin/urte ... .bild.html

That's fully on topic: EU is already in danger.
Huawei MateBook 13

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#206 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:23 am

Wow, that's sickening!

And I agree, the EU looks like it will soon loose its U and be just E.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#207 Post by Puppy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Jun 19 - attacks in Paris and London
Jun 20 - attack in Brusel http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40349654
Jun 25 - Newcastle

The frequency is getting high ...
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#208 Post by Puppy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 am

Swedish music festival cancels 2018 event after sexual abuse
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... abuse.html

The music festival said Saturday it had attempted to prevent rapes and sexual abuses but "some men — because we are talking about men — apparently can't behave. It's a shame."

No, it won't affect our lifestyle, will it ? :( It also sad the media can't write details everyone knows ... Sweden is a lost country.
Huawei MateBook 13

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#209 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Puppy wrote:Swedish music festival cancels 2018 event after sexual abuse
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... abuse.html

The music festival said Saturday it had attempted to prevent rapes and sexual abuses but "some men — because we are talking about men — apparently can't behave. It's a shame."

No, it won't affect our lifestyle, will it ? :( It also sad the media can't write details everyone knows ... Sweden is a lost country.
Ah, the news. The only thing in this world more depressing and overrated then the problems there reporting. Maybe be if they taught selfcontrol to people, the world would be a better place, but that cost money and developing other useless crap is nore important according to the people with money.

Its 2017, hell has arrived.
No (good) thinkpads (maybe retro)
No privacy
No privileges
No happiness

Lets just hope this is a phase like the 1920s and organized crime but I wouldnt hold my breath on it.

Also, why are we just doing useless things to stop terrorism. TSA does nothing and its been proven. Standing in rememberence does nothing. Get a weapon and fight. Instead of putting drug users in jail, fight for a worthy cause instead of a drunk 22yo with a lousy sense of accomplishment.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#210 Post by Puppy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:50 am

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:16 pm
The only thing in this world more depressing and overrated then the problems there reporting.
The issue is not the single isolated case but it represents a progress. Yesterday it was single music festival cancelled, tomorrow will follow another one. Next year there won't be any left, another next year no public events at all.
Huawei MateBook 13

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”