thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
Goodbye Lorita, wherever you've gone..

If you've found this forum useful, please consider donating a dollar or two

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:01 am 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Fujitsu-Le ... 403.0.html

Another acquisition in the PC business seems to be in the marking. According to a report of the Japanese news site nikkei, Fujitsu is contemplating to sell its PC business to the biggest PC manufacturer Lenovo.

Just another laptop brand killed by Lenovo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:04 am 

The future of the Japanese PC industry is dead. I think Lenovo could pay pennies on the dollar for the 'rights' (such as it is) for Fujitsu... at best they sell Lenovos rebadged in certain markets as Fujitsu?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:39 am 

I used a Fujitsu Siemens laptop once. It was nice.

Enable advanced features on older Synaptics touchpads with the registry: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122612

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:29 pm 

I used to work for Fujitsu so I have a few of their units.

Very nice build quality. "Made in Japan" says it all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:07 pm 

Owned a Fujitsu LifeBook at one time, it was very well built and reliable. Japanese quality.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:37 am 

I'm actually starting to be happy about those buy-outs. With Fujitsu and Samsung, if Lenovo continues to make costly acquisitions whilst outputting crap, this behaviour will end up accelerating the Chinese company's downfall.

And as far as we're concerned, Thinkpads were already long dead.

So what's not to like ? Their bankruptcy could even ease our musings of a community-made Real Thinkpad clone !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:55 am 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Summilux wrote:
I'm actually starting to be happy about those buy-outs. With Fujitsu and Samsung, if Lenovo continues to make costly acquisitions whilst outputting crap, this behaviour will end up accelerating the Chinese company's downfall.
Not really, you forgot that people buys that crap in high volumes. All these plastic IdeaPads or permanently vulnerable mobile devices with crappy Android and zero support (no security updates), that's the main stream.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:33 pm 

Puppy wrote:
Not really, you forgot that people buys that crap in high volumes. All these plastic IdeaPads or permanently vulnerable mobile devices with crappy Android and zero support (no security updates), that's the main stream.

That's true. However as we all know, computer companies have one after another been selling their PC division (or are about to) : IBM already a decade ago, then Sony, now Samsung and Fujitsu. Maybe a few others I've forgotten.
And for a good reason. The mainstream personal computer business is dying, all the more so if the crap you output isn't different enough to challenge phones and tablets.

Buying up all those divisions does make Lenovo a junk leader, but at the end of the day, they're the leader of a dying breed. Their PC assets will be more and more felt as dead weights. Lenovo should realise this as the years pass. Their only worthwile acquisition has been Motorola (after it's been stripped off its most valuable patents). Getting PC-related workforce, patents, business channels, factories, etc. can only provide a short lived advantage.

The mainstream future is mobile, including AR and VR ; desktops and laptops will be even smaller niches than they have become. We Real Thinkpad users have already become dinosaurs. But Lenovo's inevitable and welcome death might, amongst other factors, facilitate our come back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:38 am 

Summilux wrote:
Buying up all those divisions does make Lenovo a junk leader, but at the end of the day, they're the leader of a dying breed. Their PC assets will be more and more felt as dead weights.

Maybe someday. but PCs are still profitable for Lenovo. And being the #1 PC manufacturer, Lenovo will be the last one that goes out of business in the PC market.

The PC going obsolete is still a pipe dream. Businesses will still rely heavily on PCs in next 5 to 10, maybe even 25 years. Its not over yet.

And of course Lenovo knows the PC market ist declining. Thats why they invested in IBMs x86 server business.

Summilux wrote:
Their only worthwile acquisition has been Motorola (after it's been stripped off its most valuable patents)

Boy oh boy, that just shows that you don´t know much about Lenovo´s current state of being. The Smartphone business has only produced losses since 2015. In fact, Lenovo is in real trouble because of this and has openly admitted that the Motorola acquisition did not fulfill expectations.

All the profits they would have made in 2016 were eaten up by the losses of the Smartphone division. Lenovo only stayed in the positive because they sold some buildings. If Lenovo is going down, its not because of the PCs. Its because of Motorola.

Summilux wrote:
But Lenovo's inevitable and welcome death might, amongst other factors, facilitate our come back.

I think you may suffer from delusions of grandeur. Whatever: Even if Lenovo fails, ThinkPad is still one of the most valuable assets, so even if the company has to split up, the ThinkPad businesses would very likely continue, just not as part of Lenovo.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:49 am 

lenovo still dominate in fortune 500 type big business and some govt. depts

i've been to many businesses who happily buy Lenovo X1 carbons and $1,000 plus Lenovo desktops that clearly do not have $1,000 worth of parts inside.

Lenovo is dead to many of us who arent buying this "new" Lenovo design.. you can see how many of us refuse to recognise anything after the 420/520 etc. but that's not normal and I readily admit it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:58 am 

Ibthink wrote:
Lenovo will be the last one that goes out of business in the PC market.

Hopefully in a flamboyant, Kodak way !

Ibthink wrote:
The PC going obsolete is still a pipe dream. Businesses will still rely heavily on PCs in next 5 to 10, maybe even 25 years. Its not over yet.
And of course Lenovo knows the PC market ist declining. Thats why they invested in IBMs x86 server business.

Nobody should ever believe that PCs are going to become completely, as in 100%, obsolete. But for 50%+ percent of people (aka the mainstream) ? Of course, and very quickly. And companies implementing BYOD policies are only hastening this trend.

The back end is doing better but there's only so much units one can sell. Not to mention, companies like Google now use custom servers.

Ibthink wrote:
Boy oh boy, that just shows that you don´t know much about Lenovo´s current state of being. The Smartphone business has only produced losses since 2015. In fact, Lenovo is in real trouble because of this and has openly admitted that the Motorola acquisition did not fulfill expectations.

Motorola was hands down the acquisition which made the most strategic sense. That Lenovo was too mentally challenged to seize this opportunity and convert the try, shouldn't surprise anyone.

Ibthink wrote:
I think you may suffer from delusions of grandeur. Whatever: Even if Lenovo fails, ThinkPad is still one of the most valuable assets, so even if the company has to split up, the ThinkPad businesses would very likely continue, just not as part of Lenovo.

I'd envision something like 10k Classic Thinkpad units being sold, at most, through a community effort. That's not exactly a grand aspiration in my book.

In case we don't have the chance to profit from a legal grey zone, there'd be an off-chance that some proper company acquires at least partially the Thinkpad rights and does something worthwile. Not the best solution but still better than the nothing we have to endure right now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:07 am 

TonyJZX wrote:
i've been to many businesses who happily buy Lenovo X1 carbons and $1,000 plus Lenovo desktops that clearly do not have $1,000 worth of parts inside.

One can see an awful lot of professionals with shiny silver Fruitbooks.

Although this is an issue in itself since ideally I'd want to see only Thinkpads and pro-grade HP:s in such a context, given the current turmoil resulting from the Lenovo tumour, I'm now cheering for the Fruit guys and hope they'll grab even more market shares.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:37 am 
Admin
Admin

OK, enough of your death wishes.
If you don't like Lenovo, go tell that somewhere else.
Topic closed.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]