Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x120e price range and specs versus tablet

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
mzarum

x120e price range and specs versus tablet

#1 Post by mzarum » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:59 pm

x1xx x2xx x3xx x120e versus newer tablet

1) does anyone have an idea what x120e machines are selling for used with E-350 processor, say configured like MT 0596-2RU ?

2) I'm mostly considering this purchase to use as a mobile device to have with me when traveling, even just locally by car to be able to use with remote desktop or VPN to access my desktop or server files at home from the road, to be able to remotely pull up and edit documents while on the road, keeping those applications and files at home on my desktop or server.

I had thought about an x61 or x61s, and also a tablet, however I want a smaller device that is around 12 inch display size and one that has a mechanical keyboard. I do not like the 10 to 12 inch tablets for typing nor do I like typing on any display's virtual keyboard or do I like tablets with a separate mechanical keyboard, I prefer the display, internals and keyboard all be able to be closed up in its self contained case.

I know many people are moving to tablets. I do prefer having a somewhat normal size mechanical keyboard as my hand size does not work well with virtual keyboards found on phones and smaller tablets. That is one of the reasons making me consider the x120e as well as it having more processing power than most tablets.

One thing I prefer with tablets, is their higher resolution display over that of the x120e more so for viewing photos and videos. When I got my first t4x series, it had xga graphics and I did not like that and quickly upgraded that machine for one with sxga resolution. I know many say the resolution on the x120e is okay for reading, but I have concerns it is too low a resolution for viewing quality photos and also videos, especially compared to newer tablet displays.

If Lenovo had a laptop / notebook / netbook or whatever they'd call it .... I'll call it a Thinkpad that has an approximately 12 inch HD display that is comparable to Apple's retina resolution displays, I would not hesitate to purchase. The x120e seemed to be at a reasonable price point but now a bit pricey compared to some tablets and I do not need the extra processing power in the x220 and x230 machines and they are out of my price range for getting a roughly 12 inch machine to use as a mobile device for remote access to a home server.

For now my open questions are:

1) does anyone have an idea what x120e machines are selling for used with E-350 processor, say configured like MT 0596-2RU ?

2) what have others considered if wanting the following:

2a) Processor with power at least that of the E-350
2b) An approximately 12 inch display but higher resolution to include viewing of photos and videos
2c) To use as a mobile device to remotely access a home server with applications and data (apps like Office, Autocad, Photoshop, financial and engineering apps where they'd be running on home PC or server but accessed remotely - like my own personal cloud)
2d) Has a decent size mechanical keyboard

3) Do the x120e series have a broadband antenna installed at the factory and if not, what is recommended for an antenna if I were to add a Verizon broadband card for 4G/LTE

Thanks in Advance!!!

m

Surfplug

Re: x120e price range and specs versus tablet

#2 Post by Surfplug » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:44 pm

I paid something like $300 for mine that I keep for travel. Can't you just get a hot spot from Verizon? It will run Office and Photoshop fine, but I don't have Autodesk or Autocad on mine.

unix_joe

Re: x120e price range and specs versus tablet

#3 Post by unix_joe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 pm

mzarum wrote:x1xx x2xx x3xx x120e versus newer tablet

Anywhere from $200 up.

I had thought about an x61 or x61s, and also a tablet, however I want a smaller device that is around 12 inch display size and one that has a mechanical keyboard. I do not like the 10 to 12 inch tablets for typing nor do I like typing on any display's virtual keyboard or do I like tablets with a separate mechanical keyboard, I prefer the display, internals and keyboard all be able to be closed up in its self contained case.

One thing I prefer with tablets, is their higher resolution display over that of the x120e more so for viewing photos and videos. When I got my first t4x series, it had xga graphics and I did not like that and quickly upgraded that machine for one with sxga resolution. I know many say the resolution on the x120e is okay for reading, but I have concerns it is too low a resolution for viewing quality photos and also videos, especially compared to newer tablet displays.

X60/X61 are limited to XGA unless you find the bulkier tablet version. I had three of those machines and prefer any other display.

If Lenovo had a laptop / notebook / netbook or whatever they'd call it .... I'll call it a Thinkpad that has an approximately 12 inch HD display that is comparable to Apple's retina resolution displays, I would not hesitate to purchase. The x120e seemed to be at a reasonable price point but now a bit pricey compared to some tablets and I do not need the extra processing power in the x220 and x230 machines and they are out of my price range for getting a roughly 12 inch machine to use as a mobile device for remote access to a home server.

X201s had 1440x900 resolution and is only going to be slightly higher in price than an X120e. You will get increased processing power over the X120e, but a significantly weaker GPU.
That's answering what I can. As for your mobile broadband question, I would go with an external USB dongle, as it futureproofs your investment by only requiring you to upgrade the device and not the entire laptop when the network upgrades. I was an early adopter of Clearwire, still use it after five years no problem with a USB device.
unix_joe
Me: ThinkPad Z13 - Debian Stable KDE
Wife: ThinkPad Z16 - Pop!_OS
Kids: ThinkPad X280 - Debian Stable Gnome
TV: ThinkPad P14s - Debian Stable