thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
Goodbye Lorita, wherever you've gone..

If you've found this forum useful, please consider donating a dollar or two

It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 am 

Ok, I have a IBM thinkpad 760CD that I am doing a fresh install of Windows 95 on
its got a 1GB HD and 64MB of ram. Here is my issue.I can install all drivers fine...EXCEPT for the video features package the video driver itself. it installs then when I reboot as soon as the GUI loads I get a white distorted box around the mouse cursor it disappears and all I have is the wallpaper with no icons and the thinkpad hardlocks.

so I tried Windows's trident VGA and that works but I don't get 800X600 at 16-bit color with that driver.I tried scitech's display doctor 6.53 (using the scitech windows 95 driver that the installer asks if I want to use during install) with that running...works great all options that the thinkpads display can handle work fine. but, as soon as I install the IBM mwave drivers it hardlocks at a blackscreen right after the Windows95 splash screen. so I booted into safe mode and removed the scitech display doctor and changed back to the trident VGA driver provided by win95. running at 800X600 at 256 colors currently. Also I noticed this driver wrongly "thinks" the video card has 512Kb of vram when it has 1MB (and the scitech driver detects it correctly too)

I am open to trying a different trident cyber 9320 driver but I have tried 2 from IBM (one with a driver signature of 1997 and one of 1998-both do the same thing) its running the latest 1.30 BIOS. Thoughts? I'm pulling my hair out of this one. Oh, and the display test in easy-setup passes (and so does mobo RAM and DSP)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:33 am 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

It's possible that the Graphics hardware is on the way out :(

In reserve: X61 T7500, X60 T2300
In pieces: X60s CS U1300 [board only], two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:22 pm 

I would agree...but why then does it work fine with the scitech driver? that was working ok until I installed the Mwave driver..so that sounds like more of a driver conflict IMO.