Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

What are your opinions on the E535 ThinkPad Edge

Edge / E-Series
ganon11000
Sophomore Member

What are your opinions on the E535 ThinkPad Edge

#1 Post by ganon11000 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:20 pm

I would like your opinions on this model.
I'm thinking on getting the A6-4400M and the HD 7670M as upgrades.

IBM Thinkpad A31 2.0GHz Pentium 4, 768MB RAM, 40GB HDD and a ATI 7500 16MB shimmed
Lenovo T420 4236-PA8: WiFi card replaced with a Broadcom one (fixes most DPC latency), 64GB Crucial M4 SSD added as OS drive, original HDD in a DVD to HDD caddy.

BlueEdge

Re: What are your opinions on the E535 ThinkPad Edge

#2 Post by BlueEdge » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:01 pm

I've had mine about two months (A4300M) and I liked the machine overall BUT...it crashed last week, refused to reboot and after many attempts with recovery disks, tech support now says that it sounds like a system board problem and I'll have to send it in for repair. So I'm conflicted...it has a great keyboard and a nice display but I'm pretty turned off that I have this problem already. It's my first Thinkpad and it might very well be my last. :( :evil:

Best of luck to you...

ganon11000
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by ganon11000 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:49 pm

BlueEdge wrote:I've had mine about two months (A4300M) and I liked the machine overall BUT...it crashed last week, refused to reboot and after many attempts with recovery disks, tech support now says that it sounds like a system board problem and I'll have to send it in for repair. So I'm conflicted...it has a great keyboard and a nice display but I'm pretty turned off that I have this problem already. It's my first Thinkpad and it might very well be my last. :( :evil:

Best of luck to you...
I still have not decided yet but my A31 (2001) and my X41 (2004-2005?) are still working perfectly!
IBM Thinkpad A31 2.0GHz Pentium 4, 768MB RAM, 40GB HDD and a ATI 7500 16MB shimmed
Lenovo T420 4236-PA8: WiFi card replaced with a Broadcom one (fixes most DPC latency), 64GB Crucial M4 SSD added as OS drive, original HDD in a DVD to HDD caddy.

BlueEdge

#4 Post by BlueEdge » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:32 pm

FWIW, before I bought my Edge I had looked for opinions in these forums, and some experienced Thinkpad owners commented that the Edge series isn't of the same overall quality as the other Thinkpad systems -- the T and W series, in particular. Someone commented that the Edge has more in common with the mass market competition (including Ideapad) than with the traditional Thinkpads. I don't know if that's true, but now that I'm having these problems I'm wondering if maybe they were right.

Eric Giles

#5 Post by Eric Giles » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:26 am

BlueEdge wrote:FWIW, before I bought my Edge I had looked for opinions in these forums, and some experienced Thinkpad owners commented that the Edge series isn't of the same overall quality as the other Thinkpad systems -- the T and W series, in particular. Someone commented that the Edge has more in common with the mass market competition (including Ideapad) than with the traditional Thinkpads. I don't know if that's true, but now that I'm having these problems I'm wondering if maybe they were right.
They were definitely right. The Thinkpad Edge series is nothing more than an Ideapad with a trackpoint, different finish, and some Thinkvantage software installed. The real Thinkpads (T, W, X series) are constructed much better, with higher quality components and materials. Because of some very attractive deals from the Lenovo outlet in the past year, I purchased a number of Thinkpad Edge E530 laptops, as well as a few Ideapad G585's. Even with very little use, some of the E530's already have failing Ethernet ports (three out of 16 purchased) and the G585's were just a bad purchasing decision on my part-even thought they were only around $150 each. They are terribly slow with the AMD E300 APU, and the best use for them has been robbing them of memory and hard drives for upgrading other systems.
I lost count...

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Edge is ThinkPad in the name only...and that applies to every single one of them.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Theokretes
Freshman Member

#7 Post by Theokretes » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:07 pm

We get a lot of these DOA when purchasing for our clients (bad LCD, bad keyboards, etc). There's a reason why you can get the new thinkpads for as low as $500.

I'd either get an older series ThinkPad or a Toshiba. Although the little LED on the i in ThinkPad is neat (hardly a reason to purchase a laptop though).
2x T60p, 1x T61, loads of 701Cs, 1x WorkPad Z50, 2x TransNotes other random thinkpads...

systemBuilder
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by systemBuilder » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 pm

I think you'll need to re-evaluate your assertion, "The thinkpad edge is just an ideapad with a trackpoint and ultranav !!!" It seems that - now that IBM has forsook the ultranav on all laptops EXCEPT for the Edge E545, "The thinkpad is just an upgraded edge laptop without the trackpoint!" today ...
=======================
Lots of thinkpads (10+) but I would never be so stupid as to list them all because that would spam everybody's searches and people who *do* try to list them all would be jerks.

brchan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by brchan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 am

Back when I was in high school, all the laptops were thinkpad E520 edges. In my senior year, I worked for the IT department and I remember having problems with many of the laptops, such as bad batteries, freezing issues, and some with white spots on displays. However, they were pretty abused by the students, especially the freshman. One thing that also annoys me about the Edge, is that the palmrests wear out very fast and look terrible after a year.
Current Thinkpads: W530 (functional classic keyboard mod), X301, T61, T60, T43, A31p, T23, 600X, 770
Other: mk5 Toughbook cf-19, mk1 Toughbook cf-53

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by Cigarguy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:08 am

systemBuilder wrote: It seems that - now that IBM has forsook the ultranav on all laptops EXCEPT for the Edge E545
Seriously buddy what are you talking about? What does IBM have to do with Thinkpads anymore? You ever heard of Lenovo?