Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Starting Edge 15 In CD/DVD Drive

Edge / E-Series
TssCman123

Starting Edge 15 In CD/DVD Drive

#1 Post by TssCman123 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:19 am

I need to start my system with the CD/DVD drive. I hit enter on the ThinkPad startup screen, then hit F12 to choose a startup device, then I choose the option that's inbetween the HDD and Realtek network option. I think it's called something like "Optiarc". After I select this option, it proceeds to a blank black screen, with a white dash flashing in the upper left hand corner (for a few seconds), then proceeds to start the HDD. What am I doing wrong? Should I be pressing a key during this screen?

TssCman123

Re: Starting Edge 15 In CD/DVD Drive

#2 Post by TssCman123 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:10 pm

I have figured out that I had the wrong recovery disc in at first, so that's why it skipped to the hard drive. I tried it, and the recovery program hangs at the last step. It just says "processing (something)". Any way to get this to stop getting stuck? I have xubuntu installed for now...

topshot
Freshman Member

Re: Starting Edge 15 In CD/DVD Drive

#3 Post by topshot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Don't know if this is any help at all, but when I made the recovery disc set from a used Edge 15 I got, it took forever IMHO. I also thought it was just stuck. I can't recall now how long it did take but just leave it for a few hours. Also note the first disc must be a CD. I had no trouble booting and reloading everything once the set was made.