Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

2011 New Edge Models. Any Thoughts

Edge / E-Series
BruisedQuasar

#1 Post by BruisedQuasar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 pm

I've seen mention lately of a new line of Thinkpad Edge models, versions. There is some talk, rather vague, that
Lenovo is releasing some higher end Edge models. Appears Edge up to now were sort of test units, as well as
quality consumer laptops, for higher end consumer\small business versions.

Any thoughts about these new Edge versions?

I'd like to have an Edge minus the politically correct Energy Star feature that auto shuts down the display every 10 minutes.
That sort of throws a cold shower over the HDMI and HD Widescreen TV features. Its also a fatal flaw for someone
like me who uses his laptop for serious research. 15 o 20 minute pauses are routine for me and its a real nuisance
to have to push a key every few minutes to keep the display from power down and having to re-enter my password.
Geesh, what is power management for if selecting "never" does stop auto power down every 10 minutes!

I really like Thinkpad and this Edge but I'm switching to Asus if this is what I can expect from Lenovo. No recovery discs and a hardware auto power down? I'd expect that from a cheap Acer or eMachine

--Bruised

kaede
Freshman Member

#2 Post by kaede » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 pm

not sure for the edge series. but i believe all those power down can be setup from the powermanager. as for the recovery cd. nowadays is all inside your machine. you just need a blank cd to burn it. almost all manufacturer practice the same thing

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: 2011 New Edge Models. Any Thoughts

#3 Post by ThinkRob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 pm

BruisedQuasar wrote: I really like Thinkpad and this Edge but I'm switching to Asus if this is what I can expect from Lenovo. No recovery discs and a hardware auto power down? I'd expect that from a cheap Acer or eMachine
Why not switch to a real ThinkPad instead?
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

TechDeals

Re: 2011 New Edge Models. Any Thoughts

#4 Post by TechDeals » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 am

The higher end Edge models aren't a rumor: http://www.thinkpads.com/2011/01/03/len ... notebooks/

In fact, the Edge E420s is now shipping: http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/lenovo-th ... 30455.aspx

They look to be fine notebooks, a slick chassis, but for not much more money you can pick up a ThinkPad T Series. So I would weigh your priorities carefully on that purchase.

P.S. There is no hardware limitation on screen timeout. This is a software feature only. I'm 99% sure ThinkPad Edge models come with Power Manager, just like regular ThinkPads. You can change it there or if you are outputting video to a TV and want to override the default display timeout, I highly recommend using the Windows Mobility Center feature: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ity-Center

Just run WMC and click "Turn On" under presentation settings. Voila!
Feel free to send me PMs with questions about getting the best Lenovo deal!
Enter the LogicBuy ThinkPad Edge 14 giveaway - ends March 31 - ENTER HERE!
LogicBUY.com - Tech deals and coupons on Laptops, cell phones, GPS, MP3 Players, HDTV, video games or Lenovo deals and coupons