Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 screen quality

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
mandrakkio

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 screen quality

#1 Post by mandrakkio » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 am

I've read many reviews about the original Lenovo ThinkPad X1 (the one with the Corning Gorilla Glass): they point out the excellent keyboard and the poor screen.
I like the X1 design, his portability and the clichet keyboard but I haven't seen one in person: only on Internet so I can't valutate if the glossy screen is SO horrible and reflective. I need a laptop for Office and, mostly, word processing out of home. I ask the X1 possessors: is that the machine for me? The X1 Carbon is too expensive for me: the original X1, nstead, is quite cheap on eBay.
Thanks in advance.

lead_org

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 screen quality

#2 Post by lead_org » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 pm

The X1 screen is actually pretty good, there is some glare if you use it outdoor, but it isn't that bad. The only thing i dislike about the X1 is the short battery time, and if you push the CPU/GPU, it does get pretty hot pretty quickly.
Current ThinkPad: T430u, T430s, X1 Carbon, X1, X230t, X220t, X230, X220, X201t, W520, W701ds, T500, T420 and many more

mandrakkio

#3 Post by mandrakkio » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

jojo712

#4 Post by jojo712 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 am

The X1 is the computer of the future. If the Carbon had retained the ability to swap out the drive, upgrade the RAM, and add more space to the mSATA, it would totally be the machine in my bag. Instead, I'd actually pay more for the X1, as is.

The screen's fine. The only thing you'd have to worry about are angles (onlookers, etc). They won't be able to see perfectly, as you will, so you might have to turn it a little bit when you want to share a pic or a website on the fly.

Johan Andersson

#5 Post by Johan Andersson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 am

I have a X1C myself and the screen is pretty good. Would rate it 8/10.
Tried the X1C Touch and thought the quality were not up to par with my own. Would rate the Touch 6.5/10.

PS. 1600x900 is perfect resolution for a 14" screen (imo).

ZaZ

#6 Post by ZaZ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:26 am

Johan Andersson wrote:1600x900 is perfect resolution for a 14" screen (imo).
SXGA+ - best resolution ever.

Having had a X1 Carbon for an extended period, my opinion is it offers a pretty good screen. The machine that most reminded me of it was the MacBook Air, without the gloss of course. It's got decent color and a nice sweet for the angles, which is mostly good unless you're at an odd angle. The screen, at least the one I had, was a bit blue out of the box, but that can be mitigated with calibration of the screen.
ThinkPad L14 - 2.1GHz Ryzen 4650U | 16GB | 256GB | 14" FHD | Win11P
ProBook 470 G5 - 1.6GHz Core i5 | 16GB | 2.2TB | 17" FHD | Mint

exTPfan

#7 Post by exTPfan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:54 pm

"If the Carbon had retained the ability to swap out the drive."

You can in fact swap the drives between two X1's, and they will run without a hitch (I just did it). The drives are easy to remove. I don't know how to clone a drive though.

The only reviews of laptop screen that I've found to be reliable are those on http://www.notebookcheck.net. They give the X1 Carbon high marks (for a non IPS screen).

mandrakkio

#8 Post by mandrakkio » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:21 pm

At the end I've tried the original ThinkPad X1 display and it seems tiring for my eyes (at least compared to my iMac 24" matte display).
Maybe I've choose a bad level of brightness: someone remember what is Lenovo factory level?
Anyway the original X1 seems more sturdy compared to the latest one. I even like the design & materials more, but the screen is disappointing me.
Any suggestion how to improve it?
The X1C 2015 has a matte display (I prefer it) but the resolution seems huge :( I use the laptop basically for wordprocessing: do you suggest me to change the original X1 for the latest one?
Maybe a filter on the screen could help?

Thanks in advance.