Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Trackpad left click intermittently right click

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
BornABruin

Trackpad left click intermittently right click

#1 Post by BornABruin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:40 pm

I have a user that has a 2nd Generation X1 Carbon with the Synaptics TrackPoint/TrackPad with virtual buttons. When the user left clicks on the trackback, the TtrackPad intermittently displays the attributes menu (of the type that a right click would initiate) . She normally uses the TrackPad but does use the TrackPoint on ocassion. Here's what I've done so far:
1) I initially thought it was the TrackPad and had Lenovo Support replace it. The problem was reduced but is still occurs.
2) I've installed current UltraNav drivers and updated all other drivers to current levels. The WIndows 10 is also updated to current patches.

I would try setting the UltraNave to "Click Anywhere" but that disables the TrackPoint feature (which the user would like to remian active).

Has anyone seen this happen before and know a fix for this?

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Trackpad left click intermittently right click

#2 Post by w0qj » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:25 am

We recently had a somewhat similar issue with our X1 Carbon Generation 3 still under extended warranty.
(Again, this is Generation 3 we are talking about).

Left trackpoint mouse button (sometimes fail), pressing left trackpoint mouse button does nothing.
***But a few times, pressing this same left trackpoint mouse button sometimes trigger the attributes menu (of the type a right click would initiate).

As we had extended warranty, lenovo support replaced *both* the trackpad and also replaced the keyboard as well.

When I asked what was the problem, lenovo support said that these electrical components sometimes fail from time to time...

***Suggest you talk with Lenovo support before considering to replace the keyboard, this might or might not help in your situation.

Hope this helps!

[For the record, above problem was an intermittent problem at first.
After that, I accidentally spilled sugary liquid near keyboard, with a few drops observed to leak into left mouse button area.
Anyways, since our Warranty included accidental spillage, this was covered under the warranty.]
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

BornABruin

Re: Trackpad left click intermittently right click

#3 Post by BornABruin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I did have Lenovo support replace the trackpad device about six months ago. THe problem was reduced but still occurs on occasion. I should call Lenovo support again and ask them what they think we should do next.

Thanks again!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
w0qj wrote:We recently had a somewhat similar issue with our X1 Carbon Generation 3 still under extended warranty.
(Again, this is Generation 3 we are talking about).

Left trackpoint mouse button (sometimes fail), pressing left trackpoint mouse button does nothing.

***But a few times, pressing this same left trackpoint mouse button sometimes trigger the attributes menu (of the type a right click would initiate).

As we had extended warranty, lenovo support replaced *both* the trackpad and also replaced the keyboard as well.

When I asked what was the problem, lenovo support said that these electrical components sometimes fail from time to time...

***Suggest you talk with Lenovo support before considering to replace the keyboard, this might or might not help in your situation.

Hope this helps!

[For the record, above problem was an intermittent problem at first.
After that, I accidentally spilled sugary liquid near keyboard, with a few drops observed to leak into left mouse button area.
Anyways, since our Warranty included accidental spillage, this was covered under the warranty.]