Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Help with T440p configuration

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
eismcsquare

Help with T440p configuration

#1 Post by eismcsquare » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:43 pm

(I asked a more generic question here http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=115404)

I need some help to make sure T440p I am about to order is capable of what I expect it to do.

My need is a portable machine that will also by my primary computer and will need to run multiple VMs for development/programming.

Specifically:
  1. Portable
    Have 16gb (if not more) RAM
    Have dedicated insert key
    Can accommodate HDD as well as SDD
In the current lineup at lenovo.com, only T440p seem to meet these requirements. But I want to confirm the following:

1. RAM - I am going to order 8gb (1 dimm) for now. That should leave me 1 more dimm to add additional 8gb.
2. SSD - I don't want to replace HDD with SSD. I want to be able to have extra m2 SSD. From my reading on this forum, I think I will need an m2 42mm (2242) ngff ssd drive for this.
  • In that case:
    a) Is the wireless wan card slot good enough to install it?
    b) Can I continue to boot into Windows from HDD and can boot from the m2 ssd separately (say, in Ubuntu)?
    I have T520 which boots from HDD into Windows and from mSATA into Ubuntu, and am looking for something similar.
3. I am a keyboard + trackpoint person, who disables the touchpad. The new lineup has removed dedicated buttons. Is it possible to disable the touchpad but still have left/middle/right click top buttons enabled?

Apologies if this is already posted here - I did search and found some relevant information, but not all.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Help with T440p configuration

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 pm

A partial answer to your questions:

2 a/b: "yes" to both.

3: Yes. However, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired in quite a few TrackPoint users' opinion.

A general observation: I would *strongly* suggest testing out a T440p - or any *40 series ThinkPad for that fact - in person before shelling out the $$$ for one. The change in keyboard/TrackPoint setup is drastic enough - whether one ends up loving or hating it - to warrant such an approach.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.