Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

which lenovo drivers for a clean Win 7 install?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
mirileh

which lenovo drivers for a clean Win 7 install?

#1 Post by mirileh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:20 am

I'm going to do a clean installation of Windows 7 on a T440S. I'd love guidelines on Lenovo's drivers! -

1. Which drivers are a must?
2. Which drivers aren't a necessity but are cool?
3. Which drivers should I NOT install?

thanks!

aau007

Re: which lenovo drivers for a clean Win 7 install?

#2 Post by aau007 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Here is what you do.

Best method is getting the restore CD. It will save you a lot of time and headache.

If you want to do an absolute clean W7 install.
1. Win7 CD of course. If you can get the Win7 install on a bootable USB, even better cause it will save you time.
2. download a nic driver from Lenovo. depending on your internet access, get either the LAN or Wifi.
3. Install W7.
4. Install the nic driver to give you internet access.
5. At the point, if you go to the Device Manager, you will see a lot of yellow !. They are the devices that are missing Lenovo specific drivers. There may also be ok devices that are missing Lenovo specific drivers since Microsoft found a matching one and decides to use it. Unless you are very savvy with Lenovo, you may not know which one requires replacement. Display, drive controller and sound cards usually finds a Microsoft match.
6. Go to Lenovo support site and install Systems Update program.
7. Run System Update program and let it discover all the missing drivers and you will see the yellow ! going away one by one.
8. My suggestion is not to do all at the same time, give it some patience and do one or two each time. When it is installing, watch the Device Manager and see which yellow goes away and what new device shows up.