Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T430s: Doesn't accept AC power, status leds aren't working

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
AlexTP

T430s: Doesn't accept AC power, status leds aren't working

#1 Post by AlexTP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi all,

I had to disassemble my T430s (due to an issue with CPU fan), and when I assembled it back, the microphone, camera and indicator leds seem all to be dead.
Seems very likely that the issue is with the LVDS cable (the led cable as shown in the hmm, I assume it's also responsible for the webcam and mic).
Visually it looks fine, and it is connected well. I barely touched it so I find it hard to believe I damaged the cable itself.
All other parts (including the monitor itself) are working fine.

And since I've posted this, I also noticed the laptop isn't charging at all from AC and won't run without a battery in. Well now it's a serious problem for me..

Any ideas on how to debug this? Are there any fuses that may have blown which would cause this?

Thanks

tomatohat

Re: T430s: Doesn't accept AC power, status leds aren't working

#2 Post by tomatohat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Is the DC sub board seated correctly? Does the thinklight turn on? That would be the dead give away.

AlexTP

#3 Post by AlexTP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:16 pm

tomatohat wrote:Is the DC sub board seated correctly? Does the thinklight turn on? That would be the dead give away.
The thinklight didn't turn on.

How is the DC sub board supposed to be seated? I don't recall touching it at all.

tomatohat

#4 Post by tomatohat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:48 pm

AlexTP wrote:
tomatohat wrote:Is the DC sub board seated correctly? Does the thinklight turn on? That would be the dead give away.

How is the DC sub board supposed to be seated? I don't recall touching it at all.
If the thinklight isn't turning on then the DC sub board isn't fully connected. Or you somehow burnt out the DC sub board. Besides the DC plug, the data line for the webcam, and power for the thinklight come off that board.

AlexTP

#5 Post by AlexTP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:52 pm

tomatohat wrote:
AlexTP wrote:

If the thinklight isn't turning on then the DC sub board isn't fully connected. Or you somehow burnt out the DC sub board. Besides the DC plug, the data line for the webcam, and power for the thinklight come off that board.
That was it! Can't believe I missed something that obvious, I forgot to connect the board.

Thank you so much for the (very) quick response, you're a lifesaver! :D

tomatohat

#6 Post by tomatohat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 pm

AlexTP wrote:
tomatohat wrote:
That was it! Can't believe I missed something that obvious, I forgot to connect the board.

Thank you so much for the (very) quick response, you're a lifesaver! :D
I don't remember off the top of my head. But I think there's a physical switch on the DC sub-board that aligns to detect the ultradock insert/eject.