Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad's

X230-X280, X390 Series
twilk73

Thinkpad's

#1 Post by twilk73 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:04 pm

My first Thinkpad was a T61 customized to my liking the cost was almost $1400. That computer lasted me 10 years or so and the tech inside the thing was advanced enough to out pace some of the lower end stuff on the market even now. Actually it was still running like a new machine after 10 years but the graphics card was so weak that I needed to upgrade if I was to get back into gaming. Anyway I felt like that $1400 was ever bit worth what I got the keyboard the shell, Think vantage, everything about that laptop was worth it. I just bought a used x230 off ebay and I like it a good bit but the ram is low and I want to upgrade the HDD to and SDD. Its not really that expensive to do that when you do it yourself and Thinkpads are easy to work on. Anyway, the keyboard isnt quite as nice on this x230 and the mouse pad is horrible. The keyboard inst too bad its just not the same as the old T61 the mouse pad however when you right click you get left clicks the mouse jumps all over the place when you click. I dont know the darn thing gives me a headache.

Anyway since the T61 I purchased a Asus g75w and man is it fast and sweet. I paid almost $1400 for this laptop as well approximately 10 years later lol the price doesnt really make much sense in my mind but it is what it is. Anyway the Asus is sweet but the billed quality is qarbage. Its already falling apart after 6 months. Its also way to big and heavy so that leads me to this post. I was thinking of ebaying the ASUS and using those funds towards another Thinkpad. However when I go on Lenovo's website I dont find myself to be very inspired buy what they are offering. Most of it is overpriced, none of it offers a decent mouse pad or keyboard. If you even think you are going to enter the world of SSD or high ram your crazy at those prices. The y410 or whatever was nice but there was no options for upgrading or downgrading anything. I left the site feeling like there was no hope for another great laptop like the old thinkpads. I guess ill stick with this ASUS for now getting rid of it would be a waste of money by the looks of things. Heck the tech in this ASUS is great its just the shell that cheap. Sorry for rambling, I am just upset the thinkpad is dieing. If I where to buy a used Thinkpad like a T series what would be a good older model to get that would have the nice keyboard and a decent mouse pad. I dont want to go to old that its out of date. So I am looking for something that would be as new as possible but actually still be a Thinkpad with the classic keyboard and what not.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad's

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 pm

For new Thinkpads, T420/T520, or newer they are junk and are no longer distinctive as they once were. Lenovo have taken a once unique, distinctive, industry leading machine and worked hard to make it like everybody else. They've succeeded in my books. New business class laptops are Dell Lattitude or HP Elitebooks.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Thinkpad's

#3 Post by dr_st » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:12 am

Cigarguy wrote:For new Thinkpads, T420/T520, or newer they are junk and are no longer distinctive as they once were.
Do you see the 420/520 series as the cutoff between distinctive and junk? If so, why?
Cigarguy wrote:New business class laptops are Dell Lattitude or HP Elitebooks.
I wouldn't exactly call them "new". They've been around for years.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad