Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X230 Bluetooth?

X230-X280, X390 Series
Vmks2024

X230 Bluetooth?

#1 Post by Vmks2024 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:20 pm

Hi new to the forum , wondering if my x230 would have Bluetooth or be able to install Bluetooth inside it or would I need to go with a dongle ? Don't have much info regarding the laptop I bought it used it works perfectly just had a Bluetooth device I wanted to connect and wondered if it had it , no idea what age the laptop is , running windows 10 but it has a sticker for windows 7 so guessing it came with that , in device manager don't see any mention of Bluetooth just an error was BCM20702A0 ! Saying there is no driver available? Please help advise much appreciated

mikemex

Re: X230 Bluetooth?

#2 Post by mikemex » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:57 pm

If I remember correctly, Bluetooth was an optional feature for X230s. Therefore, the first thing you have to check is if you actually have it or not.

In previous versions of Windows the wireless connections were managed via the FN+F5 shortcut. But I don't think it works in Windows 10 unless you have the legacy hotkey software installed. That's not much of an issue, because Windows 10 handles Bluetooth directly. Just go to the BIOS (press the vantage button while booting up and select setup) and go to security, port access, and check that Bluetooth is enabled (I suggest you to leave everything enabled; turning things off saves a little of battery, but have to be re-enabled each time you want to use it). Once enabled, you should be able to turn it on in the Windows management console. If Bluetooth isn't listed, you probably don't have the module installed. To confirm it, check the LEDs below the screen. They have symbols, if you have Bluetooth from factory, there should be a Bluetooth symbol among them, even if it's not lit up.

If you don't have the module, there are two options to add it:

* Via the original and internal module that was offered back then.
* Via a newer WIFI card that doubles as a Bluetooth device.

Since both requiere opening the laptop up, is up to you to decide which way to go. The easiest is the internal, factory module. If I remember correctly, you'll have to purchase the right part, take the palmrest off and add the module.

The second option implies altering the BIOS, in order to remove the "whitelist", which is a "protection" Lenovo installed on such machines to prevent end users from installing "unauthorized cards". Once you replace the BIOS with a whitelisted one, you can remove the original WIFI module and add a newer module. So you can no only install Bluetooth that way; it'll be a newer version that it was impossible back then. On top of that, you'll be upgrading the WIFI card itself, of course.

The older module isn't probably as power efficient as the new one. But Bluetooth consumes so little anyway, that it's probably not much of a concern.

* Original Bluetooth module: 60Y3303 / 60Y3305. It supports Bluetooth 4.0.

* You can pick any WIFI card as long as it is Mini PCIe. The maximum "native" WIFI card from intel in that format is the 7260. With the whitelist removed, you can install a card from any manufacturer, but I suggest you to get a Lenovo card (04X6010). It'll probably save you the hassle to remove a pin or not having the WIFI LED lit during traffic. But you can install any card, as I said. So if you wish, you can buy one of those Aliexpress' AX200/210 and get AX WiFi instead of AC and Bluetooth 5.x on top of that. That's up to you; however, there is a change that you'll run into issues. Again, it HAS to be Mini PCIe; there is not slot for more modern M.2 cards.
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C5: 7600U | 16GB | 1TB | FHD
X1C9: 1145G7 | 16GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
P14s G1 AMD: 4750U | 32GB | 1TB | PG FHD Touch
T14 G2: 1145G7 | 32GB | 1TB | FHD

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X230 Bluetooth?

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:31 am

Vmks2024 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:20 pm
in device manager don't see any mention of Bluetooth just an error was BCM20702A0 ! Saying there is no driver available? Please help advise much appreciated
BCM20702A0 is the USB Device ID of the Bluetooth adapter. A quick web search led to this page from Microsoft's support forums:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 9160c0f5e5

It links to this particular driver: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... 04.1%20USB

Hopefully it works on your X230!
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: