Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Trying to mount a WD Passport Pro (Thunderbolt) on my W540

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series
wts001

Trying to mount a WD Passport Pro (Thunderbolt) on my W540

#1 Post by wts001 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 am

Hi,

I have a W540 and was given a WD "My Passport Pro" - which is a "Mac" RAID0/RAID1 hard-disk, connected by Thunderbolt. I run Windows 7 64 Ultimate.

I have posted this question on the Lenovo forum as well - but, nobody has replied to my query.

I understand, by default, this drive is formatted for the Mac, using HFS+J. But, I cannot even get Windows 7 to recognise the drive when I plugged it in. The Thunderbolt software did see the drive, and is able to list it out correctly. But, Windows attempted to install the "Standard AHCI device driver version 1.0" - which gives a code 12 (not enough resources).

I contacted WD technical support as well - he claimed he can get Windows OS to recognise the device. I asked him - what device driver did his Windows install - so far, I have silence from him.

The HFS+ disk format is not the issue .... I have the HFS+ device driver (from Paragon Software) on my system - can read and write to Mac disks. The problem is the AHCI device driver from Windows.

Any idea what I can try? Thank you in advance.

TS

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Trying to mount a WD Passport Pro (Thunderbolt) on my W5

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:00 am

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

that1nerd
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by that1nerd » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:05 am

Does the drive show up in Disk Management, or Device Manager, at all?

I'm curious to see if Windows can, at least, detect the physical hardware.
My "daily drivers":

T520 (4240-48u) - Core i7 2620m (2.7GHz), 8GB RAM, 80GB mSATA SSD, 1TB HDD, nVidia NVS 4200m (Optimus)
T43p (2668-VQ7) - 2.26GHz Pentium M, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, Radeon Mobility FireGL V3200

automobus

similar problem with seagate

#4 Post by automobus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Takeda faced a problem just like this, with Seagate device.

But the difference is, your device is officially unsupported, according to Answer ID 1708 | Last Updated 09/24/2014, which RBS found.

I would like to make an off-topic comment:
WTF Seagate, you ruined your support Web site. You made it a stinkier burning paper bag of caca, than Lenovo's site. I cannot stand to deal with majority information technology industry.
"On the Internet, nobody knows your a dog."
Is support staff of most companies comprised of dogs with palsy, drooling over their desks? How do companies with intelligent staff and good support departments go out of business, while unhelpful companies succeed?

wts001

#5 Post by wts001 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:44 am

Hi,

A more fundamental issue is this ... does anybody knows if the W540 BIOS support Thunderbolt hard-disks in general? I noticed if I leave the Thunderbolt hard-disk plugged in and I reboot the computer, it will hang at the BIOS initialisation stage. Also, I don't see any menu item in the BIOS concerning Thunderbolt.

WD has replied -

QUOTE -

In your case, I would like you to please kindly try follow instructions in a link below, to configure a RAID-enabled your device in a Windows 7 computer;

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... eG0yNm0%3D

After you have done the process above, you drive should be ready to be used on your Windows 7 computer.

UNQUOTE

Unfortunately, the Asmedia device driver (version 1.3.7.0) as given in the link - also has the same issue after I installed the driver (code = 12).

TS

farmall
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by farmall » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:54 am

If I got one of those for free and it was not cooperative I'd gut it for the quality hard disks and use them in cheap USB external enclosures or in Ultrabay caddies.

It's an easy teardown:

http://www.storagereview.com/wd_my_pass ... review_4tb

Caddy vendor also is a forum sponsor: :mrgreen:

http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php ... page&id=45