Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

The Review

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
mpierce

The Review

#1 Post by mpierce » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:42 am

Where do I begin?
The Kit
Let’s recap… my machine is a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga i7 CPU with 8GB Ram, 8Gb SSD, FHD IPS 1920x1080 display, Dual band wireless AC-7260, Windows 8 Pro 64 (model 20CDCTO1WW).
The Inspection
When I first unboxed, I carefully unpacked it and inspected it to ensure everything fit properly and that nothing was loose. Too many people complaining about it wasn’t a proper ThinkPad. I said, “say it ain’t so Joe”, and Joe replied, “You sir, have a ThinkPad”! Fit and finish absolutely first rate on my machine.
I compared it next to my old workhorse, a ThinkPad X220. Yes, it is slightly larger in dimensions, weights a fraction more but it is thinner and actually easier to transport. It’s a form factor thing if you can understand what I mean as it fits so much better in my bag.
The Caress
I spent a large part of the first evening playing with it, fondling it, opening and closing it; testing the various ways I would use, as a PC, in tent mode and as a tablet.
WIN8 was proving to be troublesome. I was in unfamiliar territory here and I was finding some things difficult and this was one. I had to become use to a trackpad which wasn’t functioning like my old workhorse. I wasn’t use to using the digital pen with its button and WIN8 was not cooperating. But I thought nothing beats a failure but a try I’m going to persevere with this… I’ll cheat.
I called a friend of mine who works for a large IT company responsible for maintaining a lot of computers. Help, I yelled!
The first thing he did after a remote into my machine was to clean up WIN8 by configuring some tiles and programs was to tell me I’d like as soon as I upgraded to WIN8.1 and learned to right click with my pen or use the trackpad. Let’s continue on…
Time for business
Got down to business and loaded on most of the software I needed. Ran the software updates for Lenovo and Windows. We all know the drill - big downloads and time consuming.
Fast Forward
A week of practice with the machine and I had picked up the pen and become proficient with the trackpad even though at heart, I a pointer user. Old habits die hard...
I rediscovered OneNote! l discovered tricks Microsoft had developed for using a digitiser in Office! I could simply write on documents sent to me. Why bother printing them out? Why carry a writing pad around? My briefcase had suddenly lost a pound or two... no need for the leather folio! I simply use the Yoga in tablet form with a digitiser.
My co-workers were the first to notice how fast the networking is. My WiFi would connect when theirs was slow and struggling when almost out of range. This card just connects and stays connected.
Battery life-all day! I’m surprised how good it is but l wouldn’t leave home without the charger.
Gripes
I don’t really have any and of I know that might sound strange but then this machine the Concord! If. you need the versatility, it’s what you should get. I would recommend it without any hesitation! But that comes with a small price to pay as you have to take time to learn it.
Yeah, I miss the fingerprint scanner. I thought that I would miss the mobile broadband from the X220. But, I don’t. I have a large plan on my mobile and I use that as my phone is always with me.
Lenovo should have put a caps key fight on it.
My bluetooth headset doesn’t connect on start-up while everything else does. However, this is a driver issue in WIN8.1
As a fast touch typist, I miss the extra key travel from the X220 but I am becoming use to slightly less feedback and this is such a minor issue as I can still do 70+ WPM but not quite as accurately.
Almost forgot! I have to carry a mini HDMI to VGA dongle around just in case.
What does a ThinkPad Yoga need?
I can only think of one thing that would truly make it a better machine…
Swype input on the virtual keyboard would make it awesome! But then maybe I’m just nit-picking for how can you not love being able to write on the keyboard and have it insert everything into your document accurately. The hand writing recognition is superb. So extraordinarily cool!
Every gripe I’ve listed is just a minor inconvenience.
I like this machine more than my X220 and every day, I find something new to love about this wonderful piece of kit.
Lenovo, you’ve done it again!

syrahnose
Freshman Member

Re: The Review

#2 Post by syrahnose » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:07 am

Has the ghosting issue cropped up yet? Some report it happening within 3 weeks, others say it has taken several months.

mpierce

#3 Post by mpierce » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:17 am

No the problem has not appeared on my machine.
I use my machine at least 8 or more hours every day.
I did purchase the extended 3 year next day business warranty.
If there were a problem, they would send someone to my office to repair the next business day.

syrahnose
Freshman Member

#4 Post by syrahnose » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi, so you have had a few months to work it in. Any other issues or advantages you can add here for those of us still debating. I read on the 300 pages of complaints about the ghosting issues on lenovo forum that finally there appears to be a replacement screen with new part number. As this was an issue that grew into a problem several weeks after, how is your screen now? It would be reassuring to think this might be a intermittent fault, rather than endemic over time. Please reassure me with your good news?

mpierce

#5 Post by mpierce » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:52 pm

I have not had a single problem with my unit.

I have had a small issue with the sensitivity of two digitiser pens in that I need to reset the sensitivity for the software which my company has designed.

If you need what this unit requires, I recommend it and I repeat, I've NOT HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM!

I am still in love with the convenience and flexibility of this unit!!!

syrahnose
Freshman Member

#6 Post by syrahnose » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:04 pm

I pulled the trigger and bought one, so will see. I've been waiting a year for the screen ghosting problem to be resolved. With new replacement number finally being found out, it would seem there is a fix. Following all this on the Lenovo Forum has been disheartening. Lenovo had not shown itself to be responsible or forthwith concerning the issue. Customers had to drag them into action. I expected more to uphold the Thinkpad reputation.

I'll report back my experiences too, once it arrives. Hopefully all good.

mpierce

#7 Post by mpierce » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:10 am

Those with a problem are always screaming out loud. The many thousands without the problem are usually the silent majority.