Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad Yoga S1 (20CD-0033US) - Spilled Coffee - 3 seconds on power cycle

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
bkdezalia

Thinkpad Yoga S1 (20CD-0033US) - Spilled Coffee - 3 seconds on power cycle

#1 Post by bkdezalia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:30 pm

Any hope???

As the subject states I spilled coffee on my wife's laptop, the one good thing is the lid was closed. The bad thing is that it completely splashed outward, but then pooled around it and touching the side of the laptop, some got pulled under it. There was none splashed directly into any of the side ports, but where the bottom vents are, some got pulled in. The laptop was in sleep mode, it powered on with fan on high, we pulled the AC power plug and after about 10 seconds, it shut itself off.

Now, here is what transpired. I first dried up as much as I could of course, and as I said, it wasn't wet hardly at all, just on the top of the lid. After drying what I could I opened the bottom up and there were two areas on the motherboard that were wet, one about the size of a US quarter, and the other much smaller. No matter, coffee = water, and water and electricity don't mix.

After cleaning and leaving to dry for 12 or so hrs, at first it would only blink the LED 3 times when trying to power on. I left it for another 24+ hrs and now it powers on for 3 seconds, the fan is at full speed, then it power cycles. It will do this endlessly until you close the lid or hold the power button to shut it off.

No beep codes.

Is there any hope?

rdchinoy

Re: Thinkpad Yoga S1 (20CD-0033US) - Spilled Coffee - 3 seconds on power cycle

#2 Post by rdchinoy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:45 am

I know this is an old post. But somebody may use the info.
I had this happen on a laptop.
The problem was liquid under the power button.
What I did was get it to power on and as soon as it powered on. We pulled the keyboard ribon cable. out.
This prevented it from going off. And it remained on. We then connected an external keyboard and it worked fine.
A new keyboard fixed the problem.
The 3 blink power LED is a bad sign I have found it all over the internet across all IBM modells. But nobody has answered what it means.